Website for climbers

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
Hi all,

I'm putting together a website with reviews of "less known" climbs in the alps but not necessary only the alps. I've never done a website before and at the moment I'm just having a bit of fun, using a free host and domain, which seems to work fine. Have a look and let me know your thoughts

http://ridewithugo.xtreemhost.com/

Also, if you have a website somewhat related, I'd be grateful if you could stick a link, it helps with Google search, I'm told... I'd be happy to do the same

Any comment welcome :D
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    My first thought is 'where's that hill?' and 'what's it's stats?', it's a cracker! I can only imagine how tough it is and how much fun / terror there'd be coming back down. :)

Re. the web site: make the text and the pic on the home page a bit smaller - I'm having to scroll sideways to see the whole page.

Have a pic for each specific climb showing as much of the climb as possible - it's the image that'd inspire me to want to go climb it, stats are simply something to bore people with later.

Interesting idea, Ugo.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Crapaud wrote:
    My first thought is 'where's that hill?' and 'what's it's stats?', it's a cracker! I can only imagine how tough it is and how much fun / terror there'd be coming back down. :)

Re. the web site: make the text and the pic on the home page a bit smaller - I'm having to scroll sideways to see the whole page.

Have a pic for each specific climb showing as much of the climb as possible - it's the image that'd inspire me to want to go climb it, stats are simply something to bore people with later.

Interesting idea, Ugo.

Thanks, I have based the page size on how I see it with my browser, but you are right, it has to be more compact sideways.
    The idea is to show climbs that I have actually done (or that someone else has, in case someone is so kind to send a review... ) and to provide some first hand information rather than being one of the many sterile databases of climbs around europe.
    However I have included some stats, as we are all a bit geeky I think and also to give a more objective point of view.
    As the number increases I will probably sort them by geographical area.
    There is on the right a link to a mapped ride, which I think is quite useful to find out where it starts etc...

You are right about photos, there aren't many available on the web unfortunately, as these climbs are not famous, some you see are mine, but as you might expect I don't always go around with a camera... although I should and probably will in the future

Thanks for looking
  • I quite liked it as I thought the reviews were well written

where is the picture on the front page please?
    <a>road</a>
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    The picture is of the north side of the Stelvio pass in northern Italy.
  • andyp wrote:
    The picture is of the north side of the Stelvio pass in northern Italy.

It is!