singlespeed - help on brakes

fat buddha
fat buddha Posts: 29
edited October 2008 in Road general
hi guys

I'm about to start converting an old road frame for use as a SS and rather than using standard drop bars, I'm thinking of using a straight bar instead so am after some advice on brake levers. as it's a road frame, it only has caliper brake mounts so what brake levers would you suggest? would standard MTB levers be OK?? or do I need something different?? or do I avoid straight bars and go for drops with standard road levers??

ta muchly

fb

And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "would standard MTB levers be OK??"

Most modern mtb levers are for Vs - and do not pull road caliper brakes. Older style mtb levers for cantilevers are OK - usually some on ebay. (There are - or were - dual purpose models, but quite rare.)

" or do I avoid straight bars and go for drops with standard road levers??"

Depends which you prefer! Ignore those who'll cry "real men use drops". Not a gender-decider IMHO!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Boggo MTB levers or flat bar road levers if using flat bars, road brake levers if going with drops or you could use brake levers that mount on the top of the bars near the stem.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I think Cane Creek do flat bar levers for road calipers. They're called something like "Flat Top" levers. Tektro do a bunch of levers as well. RX1.0 and FL320.
  • thanks guys

Hi Mr W btw... :)

I was looking at Crane Creek ones the other night.......

now here's a thought - could I plug the Cane Creek bullbar levers into the ends of a straight bar a la bar end plugs? I guess the question is whether the bar diameter is right for the levers.

any experience of anyone trying this??

And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    i wouldn't do that, it'll look really odd. I'd get a pair of cyclocross levers, the cable will mount directly from them and they work very well with calipers. Plus they look a bit different, which is why couriers sometimes have one.
  • it'll look really odd

which was part of the attraction I think!!

more thinking to do

• Shimano do a couple of levers intended specifically for flat bars and road calipers. They are the BL-R770 and BL-R550.
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker