Thicko cable questions

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited October 2008 in The workshop
1) Do you always replace the outers and inners at the same time, or do you normally replace one of them more often than the other?

2) If the latter, which one of the two needs replacing more often, the outers or the inners?

3) Do you need to replace the end bits (what are they called? Cable ends?) at the same time or is it ok to re-use the old ones?

4) Are there different widths/types for different bikes or can I just go and buy any old cables for my Tricross?

5) Is it worth spending money on more expensive ones or are cheap cables fine?

6) On my bike one type of cable has metal bits for the ends of the outers and the other has plastic. I think it's plastic on the brakes and metal on the gears. Is there a particular reason for this? Or can I have metal on both?

7) Do you lube cables or just buy new ones when they start getting stiff? What lube would you use? How would you avoid getting it all over the frame?

8) Should you lube pivot points on STI levers? If so what's the technique? Do I need to be careful of anything? What lube to use?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 as needed.
    3 depends on the ends and the condition. If not sure replace.
    4 gear and brake use different type and width. the ferrules (ends) are different as well.
    5 get stainless.
    6 see 4 both come in both.
    7 read the cable suppliers instructions. some you do some you do not.
    8 ? but some light oil should be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    On point one, how do you tell whether it's the outer or the inner that needs replacing?
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    if the steel cable has snapped or started to fray ... replace

if the outer is nipped , worn or looks generally tatty ... replace
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.