Thicko brakes question

PinkPedal
PinkPedal Posts: 180
edited October 2008 in The workshop
Hello,

Total newbie here - please be gentle!

I changed my second inner tube last night and I am sure this morning that my back brake no longer works as well as it did before. Any ideas on what I could have done to cause this and how I can fix it?

I have no technical vocabulary whatsoever :oops: , but could I have overstretched that little brake cable thing when reconnecting it?

Thanks

PP

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    PP what is the bike?
    so we have an idea as to the type of brake fitted.

but for a first guess the wheel has not been fitted exactly as it was before which has changed the relationship between the pads and the braking surface.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    Hi,

Thanks - it is a genesis vapour cyclocross. That makes absolute sense though, so I guess I should take the wheel off again and re fit it more carefully :oops: !

cheers

PP
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Don't know the set up on this bike ( assuming it's not a disc) does it have a little lever that slackens the clearance on the brake to help the tyre slip out - if so have you reset it?

You won't have stretched the steel cable. There will, however, be some sort of adjuster somewhere between the lever and the back brake. It will work by turning it a couple of turns which will take some of the slack out of the cable and bringing the brake blocks nearer the rim of the wheel.

This LINK might be useful.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.