Winter Socks

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Anybody suggest any socks to keep your feet warm in winter - but at the same time thin enough as not so make the shoes tight ?

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    a thin merino sock will help, however overshoes are the way forward...
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    sealskin socks are great at keeping your feet warm
  • oxon
    oxon Posts: 35
    i wear woolie boolie socks and overshoes and feet still get cold, alot depens upon the time of shoe you wear and how heavy the ventilaton is
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    DeFeet Woolie Boolies are the best socks I've tried to date (bought several pairs now and they're my choice of walking/hiking sock). That said, there was a morning earlier on this month when it was really quite bitter. I had a pair of woolie boolies, spesh roubaix winter tights and a pair of assos early winter socks on and my toes were still a bit chilly! :shock:
    Reckon I need some overshoes or shoe covers as, like the previous poster states, my shoes have some mesh up at the pointy end.
  • If you plan to cycle a lot through winter, regardless of weather, then I'd say some proper winter shoes is the way to go rather than overshoes. Mine are the Northwave Celcius J GTX ones and are pure bliss on a cold, wet morning.
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    Another vote for the merino wool. I wear merino wool tights under my cycling tights in winter. But overshoes are a guaranteed plus.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Tin foil socks over your toes.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • johnnyc71
    johnnyc71 Posts: 178
    I use the woolie boolie socks - but my toes are starting to get cold - haven't started using overshoes yet - thinking that some winter boots may be the way to go this year.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    edited October 2008
    I use Woolie Boolies and winter boots - 1 size larger than my normal size summer shoes - to create 'warm air space' - and my feet never get cold, no matter how cold it is. Lovely!

If you use just thicker socks and your shoes feel on the tight size, you feet won't be able to get warm.

My boots are the Diadora chili extreme road models which i bought for half price last year, cheap and good stuff!

Chain Reaction have a few sizes left if you're lucky:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19586
  • Harp
    Harp Posts: 79
    Another vote for Northwave Celcius winter boots. Quite easlity the best bit of cycling kit I have bought in a long time and I buy a fair bit !!
    I got a 43 , normally use a a 42 but they were a bit tight , and wear a pair of Wollie Boolie socks, I can't belive the difference made to my feet.
    After many years of overshoes and the subsequent cold wet feet these boots and socks are a God send.
    Not cheap but you remember the quality long after you have forgotten the price - as the old adage goes..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I use Lewiskit Merino socks - they are a bit chunky though, and overshoes when it goes really cold.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Assos merino wool socks and neoprene overshoes.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I get numb toes easily (fingers too, think I've got bad circulation). Even when wearing thick woollen hiking socks and overshoes. Strange though, it's only when I'm cycling - I've been up on 3000ft mountains in mid-winter and not had the same trouble.

I've got new overshoes now tho so I'll see how they go.
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    just bought some pro water proof overshoes through & trying them 2morro they look the biz
    cheesy quaver
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    Shoes 1 size too big, 2 pairs of socks and Gore-tex overshoes = warmth and comfort. :D
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Plannett X over shoes, NEVER had cold feet whilst wearing them and I go out in sub zero temperatures. And............ they keep yout shoes clean.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Best with cycling shoes. I must admit I've never tried with toe clips. OK. just tried with toe clips in the garage and I can get my feet in although I had to slacken them off a bit. I garentee overshoes will be one of the best pound for pound buys you make for cycling.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Live in the SW. It just doesn't get that cold :D
  • First keep your torso warm. When you get cold the first thing that happens is the blood supply to extremities is restricted so they get cold.
  • Brrrrh

It's gone very cold since that last post. Got some Pro Endure H2O Overshoes for £22.99 which are toasty.