RP training group ride 25th or 26th October

felgen
felgen Posts: 829
Keen to build on the success of last Sunday (4 people came along), I wonder if anyone is interested in trying to get out again this weekend (weather pemitting). Options are similar to the weekend gone (down to Surrey lanes and Box Hill) or out West towards Windsor. Mileage approximately 60, about 4 hours....(ish) Starting from RIchmond gate... Time to be decided.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

James :)
Steeds:
1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
3)Giant Cadex MTB
4)BeOne Karma MTB

Comments

• The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Yep keen on going back to back, last weekend was a good hit out.

Can only do Saturday this weekend, preferably starting an hour earlier aswell....think it would then be a bit easier getting out of the city and through Kingston.

Hopefully this week can relax a bit and interact with everyone a bit more rather than sit at the front constantly trying to work out what my route was :oops:

I also met a chap the other week in the park who was keen. He couldn't make last weekend but was certainly keen on future rides. Just awaiting contact from him as I didn't grab his contact details but he got mine.

Oh hang on before I commit, weather....15 and Sunny. Check 8)

Cheers

The long grazed legged one
  • Either day is good for me. If we are Surrey Hills bound then I am more than happy to offer directions to take the pressure off Emu. Perhaps include Leith Hill if you guys are feeling energetic although will need to check distance.
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • felgen
    Saturday is looking better for me, too. Wilf - does an earlier start mean an extra hour of riding or do you need to be back an hour earlier? 8) And yeah I looked at the potential weather this wekend too :D Oh and my new helmet arrived monday - oh the irony!

So, potentially three so far
    James P
    Wilf T
    Jackal (feel free to put your real name in!)

Others very welcome
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • What time on Saturday? My training instructions says 'rest' but after a couple of fallow weekends with no long rides I'm champing at the bit to get out.

I can't go too mad 'lo, as I'm leading the club run on Sunday
  • felgen
    Well currently it looks like its going to be 9am at Richmond gate. I know what you mean about champng at the bit.. I jcouldn't resist any longer and an early departure from work allowed me to pop out 53 miles which will tide me over until the wekeend.

Tell you what, if we let you come on our ride on saturday, can we come on yours on Sunday ;) (its Archer RC isnt it?)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    felgen wrote:
    Wilf - does an earlier start mean an extra hour of riding or do you need to be back an hour earlier?

errrr.....nup :roll:

Just a personal thing really, like to get out amongst it early, avoid the traffic and then get home around lunch time so the second half of the day can be used more usefully.

Back home in Australia we would meet and take off at 6am religously, but not keen on doing that in an english Winter.....Autumn.......Spring........well actually, lets just say all the time. :wink:

• felgen
    The emu wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    Wilf - does an earlier start mean an extra hour of riding or do you need to be back an hour earlier?

errrr.....nup :roll:

Just a personal thing really, like to get out amongst it early, avoid the traffic and then get home around lunch time so the second half of the day can be used more usefully.

Back home in Australia we would meet and take off at 6am religously, but not keen on doing that in an english Winter.....Autumn.......Spring........well actually, lets just say all the time. :wink:

No worries, it was a tongue in cheek comment. I have some plans for the afternoon as well, so early finishing is good. Plus if we start at 9 and we are lucky we will get to smoke London Dynamo on our way out of the park ;) (that was another comment in jest BTW!)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • we will get to smoke London Dynamo

I like you sense of humour, I think we will get on famously.

Is 9am settled as I have a mate who will probably join us. I just need to let him know what time so he can sweet talk his missus into babysitting. Not sure if he will be with us for the whole ride but almost definitely some of it.

Oh and for the record thejackal = Mike A

So I make it 9am on Saturday with the following rdiers (others more than welcome), meeting at RICHMOND gate.

James
    Wilf
    Mike
    Stephen (my guest)

Is this right?
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • felgen

So I make it 9am on Saturday with the following riders (others more than welcome), meeting at RICHMOND gate.

James
    Wilf
    Mike
    Stephen (my guest)

Is this right?
    Yep looks pretty good... Gavin are you coming?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • I'll be there. And in a club jersey so the Dynamo have a target to aim for :twisted:

I'm a slave to my HRM so if you go out too hard I'll need to drop off; I've a 4 hour jaunt on the Sunday too remember.

All are welcome on Archer RC runs as we are activly recruiting at the moment. See http://www.archer-rc.cyclists.co.uk/ for more details.
  • The emu
    Good stuff,

I just got contacted tonight from Bernard, a fellow Aussie I met whilst doing laps of RP and swapping London Dynamo grievences a couple of weeks ago. :evil:

Am awaiting confirmation but there's now tentatively 6 of us.

• felgen
    edited October 2008
    The emu wrote:
    Good stuff,

I just got contacted tonight from Bernard, a fellow Aussie I met whilst doing laps of RP and swapping London Dynamo grievences a couple of weeks ago. :evil:

Am awaiting confirmation but there's now tentatively 6 of us.

Great stuff! I hope this grows (and goes) from strength to strength... we had better get working on a route, or are/were people generally happy with the route we took last sunday? Now that we know the route, we should be able to concentrate on riding and not wokring out where we are.

Oh and Gavin, I find that in order to prevent too significant a fitness benefit from cycling vast distances at lactate threshold, consumption of post-cyle beer and curry helps ;) In fact I am cycling off to my old old rugby club after our little jaunt to watch the game, but I must make sure I get there late enough to avoid getting roped in to playing... :shock:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • we had better get working on a route,

As mentioned earlier, I am more than happy to take the lead with directions etc as I know the area reasonably well. It is up to you guys what you want to do.

Do you want to include Leith Hill? It would be a 60 mile ride from the park.
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Annoyed I'm missing this now - looks like it's gonna be a good crowd :evil:
  • felgen
    edited October 2008
    we had better get working on a route,

As mentioned earlier, I am more than happy to take the lead with directions etc as I know the area reasonably well. It is up to you guys what you want to do.

Do you want to include Leith Hill? It would be a 60 mile ride from the park.

I am cool with you leading us on a jaunt, as as that lets Wilf (Emu) get a break from directing as I still feel bad that he did most of the navigating and hence was on the front for most of last time ;)

As for Leith Hill, I am up for it (purely for reasons of curiosity) but I am also aware of time - ideally need to keep the ride under 4 hours. If we do Leith, do we get to to Ranmore and Box Hill as well? :twisted:
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Annoyed I'm missing this now - looks like it's gonna be a good crowd :evil:
    By the time we see you again on the ride we will have our own jerseys and a multi-million pound sponsorship deal :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • If time is pressing (and it will be for me..) I happy to navigate out to Windsor, returning via either Wexham or Taplow
  • felgen
    If time is pressing (and it will be for me..) I happy to navigate out to Windsor, returning via either Wexham or Taplow

Hmm.. Windsor or Surrey Hills? Does anyone have any strong preference? Personally I am not fussed, as I am just v.keen ++ to get out and ride and have a bit of a chat along the way. Its great that people are falling over themselves with suggestions!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    felgen wrote:
    By the time we see you again on the ride we will have our own jerseys and a multi-million pound sponsorship deal :D
    RPCC eh?! :wink::lol:

I stand firm by a previous comment about getting sponsorship from The Bombay Bicycle Club :P :wink::lol:
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    RPCC eh?! :wink::lol:

I stand firm by a previous comment about getting sponsorship from The Bombay Bicycle Club :P :wink::lol:

Yeah the Bombay thing is a top notch idea...! I just PM'ed the Emu about that...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    I stand firm by a previous comment about getting sponsorship from The Bombay Bicycle Club

What, were you all inspired by my pink outfit last weekend :lol:

I'm happy to go wherever, the less cars and more hills the better. :twisted:

• If we do Leith, do we get to to Ranmore and Box Hill as well

It really depends on time and motivation. The route I would choose includes all three however you can easily miss out Ranmore and/or Boxhill if you want.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/213901
    the less cars and more hills the better.

I completely agree on this one. I have never been Windsor way so can't comment on hills or traffic density however the Surrey Hills are generally quiet and definitely hilly.
    As for Leith Hill, I am up for it (purely for reasons of curiosity)

I'm not sure what you have heard about Leith Hill but it depends on which route up you take. There are 3 ways to the top with 2 being hard work. My plan is to ascend up the third route to give you guys a taster and then descend into Dorking (speeds of +40mph if you are brave enough and no pedaling required).

If we are going to the Hills then my guest will prob join us in Cobham as he lives that way.
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • felgen
    I'm not sure what you have heard about Leith Hill but it depends on which route up you take. There are 3 ways to the top with 2 being hard work. My plan is to ascend up the third route to give you guys a taster and then descend into Dorking (speeds of +40mph if you are brave enough and no pedaling required).

If we are going to the Hills then my guest will prob join us in Cobham as he lives that way.

Well tomrrows the day - anyone object to going to the Surrey Hills? Or we could just draw straws tommorrow...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Hello Gents
    I'll try and make this. I know the right gate now!
  • felgen
    Right, an ever growing group planning to ride 8)

If you are coming along can you post in the thread so we have an idea of numbers. I will check the thread just before leaving for the park (about 8am), so out of politeness a quick yay or nay so we don't hang around for ages waiting for anyone if they arent coming.

As last week, can everyone aim for 15 minutes before the off i.e 8.45 Richmond Gate, so we can get away on time (as The Emu points out traffic will start to build up and Kingston one-way system can get a little biffy).

Its all going to be a pretty laid back day out to the Surrey Hills and back - we can decide how tasty we are feeling and either go hardcore and do Leith Hill and Ranmore and Box hill or bail like wussies and go across Ranmore common missing out Leith Hill. Bring jelly babies.

See you all there tomorrow

James
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    Well worked Felgen

I'm actually on call tomorrow as I've rolled my project into production today - but expect nothing but a huge sucess after overnight load tonight.

Alls well, I'll be there with bells on.

Just checked the weather, clear calm and and sunny until about 10am when turning cloudy, with wind picking up by lunch time. 8)

See you there tomoz

PS - James, I got your last PM, sorry I replied but then my session crashed as I sent it and I ran out of time to retype it.

• I'm in.
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • felgen
    Cool so the following are definite... anyone else coming, can you cut and paste the list, then I don't have to trawl the thread in the morning :D

James P
    Wlif T
    Mike A
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    I'll be there.
    James P