Improving Road Safety - a subjective view

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited October 2008 in Campaign
Based on a scientific survey of my observations whilst commuting to work, I would lkike tosee the following changes in policy in relation to road safety

1. Instead of increasing the number of speed cameras, I would like to see EVERY set of traffic lights have red light cameras. The number of motorists jumping red lights is increasing. It used to be "amber gamblers" - not people are often just ignoring them. At one set of lights this morning, I counted 7 (seven) vehicles that went over a red light across the road I was using. This is not an uncommon occurrance ( although as many as 7 was a new high). On my commute- speeding is not a major problem, but red light jumping is.

2. A crackdown on vehicles turning left without indicating or only starting to indicate as they turn. It is already an offence- driving without due care & consideration. I would like to see it enforced.

3. More training / guidance given to motorists re turning left where there is a bus lane to their left, (ie parallel with the lane they are in). Many motorists don't seem to know whether to turn from their lane or move into bus lane then turn etc. Similarly more guidance given to cyclists re the dangers of filtering left in such circumstances

4. Enforcement of the ASLs - no point in having them if they are ignored

Those are my subjective points to improve road safety. Note they require no changes in the law. simple enforcement and guidance needed

Any other ideas - apart from banning motorists, pedestrians and all other cyclists from roads/ pavements
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• pintoo
    pintoo Posts: 145
    People don't follow the rules because they aren't enforced. The bottom line is, get more Coppers out there to enforce the rules. Cameras don't solve the problems of bad road use.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    pintoo wrote:
    People don't follow the rules because they aren't enforced. The bottom line is, get more Coppers out there to enforce the rules. Cameras don't solve the problems of bad road use.

Cameras would do more to solve red light jumping that police on the beat- you are not going to have enough police ever to patrol all junctions for red light jumping.

However- you are right- we do need enforcement and that can only come from in general a higher police profile and more zero tolerance of law breaking

A good start would be the police themselves obeying the laws- ie not stopping in ASLs, indicating before manouverering etc
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    pintoo wrote:

Cameras would do more to solve red light jumping that police on the beat- you are not going to have enough police ever to patrol all junctions for red light jumping.

However- you are right- we do need enforcement and that can only come from in general a higher police profile and more zero tolerance of law breaking

A good start would be the police themselves obeying the laws- ie not stopping in ASLs, indicating before manouverering etc

+1 :x This morning, Im in the left lane moving at 20mph+, plod in his bimmer* is in the right stuck in traffic. He pulls into the left lane without indicating, had I been 2 seconds further down there would have been a coming together. Then to top it off he stops 25/30 meters further down the road in a box junction and moves back toward the right lane without indicating but he is stuck in the box junction as is muggins behind him.

Have also watched them ignoring cyclists on the pavement and/or without lights at night. I know that there are so many more things to be doing but I firmly believe that you do the small things first the big things become easier down the line.

*Driving bimmers obviously turns you into a d1ck.
  • All good points, add in proper use of lights, we'll be getting the odd misty morning soon, so we can expect fog lights on until about July 2009, especially when I'm sat in traffic and the moron infront can't remember howto turn them off!
    Indicate when turning right too, learn how to navigate a roundabout whilst keeping in the lane started in and using indicators correctly.
    Ban seat belts for drivers and substitute with a 12" metal spike protruding at right angles from the steering wheel.
    Make defrosting all windows mandatory before moving off.
    Turn all traffic lights to flashing amber at non-peak periods.
    Amputate the fingers of the little gits who press the button on every pedestrain controlled crossing as they amble past.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.