Powertap cadence

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
I've just done a few rides with the wireless Powertap and have noticed after downloading the ride data that the figures for maximum cadenc are ridiculous - 188 on one ride and 226 on another. Has anyone got any experience of what the cadence measurement is like, long term? I haven't done enough rides with it yet to see if these values are just oddities.

I'm guessing the numbers are registering as a very short spike as I can't see anything that high when I look at the cadence graph - my concern is that if it is picking up high values on a regular basis it will skew the average cadence.
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• Do you have a crank cadence sensor, or is it displaying a virtual cadence calculated from hub torque pulses? The latter can be unreliable for cadence data. It doesn't affect power measurements though.
  • DaveyL
    It's the virtual cadence. I'm guessing these high numbers are just spikes/artefacts, but am curious as to how often they're occuring and if they are skewing the overall average cadence by much. On the ride with a max of 188 the cadence never seems to go over 100 when I look at the endtire ride.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • I doubt the odd spike will affect overall data much. Bit like the odd HR spike.
    A little annoying perhaps.
  • DaveyL
    Yes, I really would like to have seen the part of the ride where I was doing 220 rpm :D

The PowerAgent software is OK but I think I am going to have to get WKO+.

It's a real eye opener at first when you see just how variable power is on what you thought was a relatively flat piece of road.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I've also found the virtual hub only cadence to be totally unreliable. It usually gives me a cadence of between 60 - 70 rpm when I'm a real spinner. I also use a polar cadence sensor which tell me its 95 - 100 rpm which is more like what I'm doing.