sound on adverts

zeroseven
zeroseven Posts: 347
not clever, not funny. Please stop it, get the army thing off please

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    What army ad? Not seen or heard it. Not found the mute button on your keyboard?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • zeroseven
    Is that most inane comment you can make on something you cant even find?

Jesus you must be bored
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    TOTALLY AGREE

I VE MADE UP MY MIND, I DO NOT WANT TO JOIN THE SODDING MARINES!!!

DEAL WITH IT!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • N4PALM
    N4PALM Posts: 240
    Yeah that advert is really annoying me so much I turned the ad blocker on for this website. I had turned it off for bikeradar out of respect for the site but until that damn army advert has gone then the ads will remain blocked.
  • +1

I don't want to mute. I want to listen to stuff I've chosen, not the army swoosh.
  • zeroseven
    N4PALM wrote:
    Yeah that advert is really annoying me so much I turned the ad blocker on for this website. I had turned it off for bikeradar out of respect for the site but until that damn army advert has gone then the ads will remain blocked.

Ad blocker? How? where?

I always had the site load upon one of my home tabs. No longer, not until the ad goes

I tend to play music through the PC, now I get this poxy swoosh noise every 30 seconds
  • N4PALM
    N4PALM Posts: 240
    zeroseven wrote:
    N4PALM wrote:

Ad blocker? How? where?

I always had the site load upon one of my home tabs. No longer, not until the ad goes

I tend to play music through the PC, now I get this poxy swoosh noise every 30 seconds

Adblock plus firefox extension
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    +1

i have this site load up along with BBC News and its very irritating to have the whooosh noise interrupting my viewing
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    b****y annoying and very stupid. Whats the point ? its amusing the first couple of times but wears a bit thin when you are trying to read articles on the front page. I've stopped going there at all now . :roll:
  • I have spoken with our Ad Operations team and they have confirmed that there is a problem with this ad.

The sound should only play if you click on the ad, not by default.

They are working to get this issue resolved as soon as possible. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that this ad has caused.

Stuart
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    you should make a complaint to the MOD, agency who created the add and the agency who supplied the ad,

its very cheap marketing tactics generating interest in an ad by annoying your users, users who would not even notice the ad otherwise,
  • Gilbie
    Gilbie Posts: 99
    "The sound should only play if you click on the ad, not by default." Glad that is the case, was doubting my sanity! Made me jump out of my skin and nearly alerted everyone at work I was reading a forum at work :roll:
  • rakh1
    rakh1 Posts: 49
    Common guys - the sound is STILL there - talk about off putting. WIll be avoiding the site until fixed!
  • peanut
    I have spoken with our Ad Operations team and they have confirmed that there is a problem with this ad.

The sound should only play if you click on the ad, not by default.

They are working to get this issue resolved as soon as possible. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that this ad has caused.

Stuart

Thanks for the response Stuart .Lets hope they can sort it quickly. It will be good o be able to read the news and other articles again.
  • zeroseven

They are working to get this issue resolved as soon as possible.

Stuart

Let me help

Take.....It.....Off

Very simple.....
  • izthewiz
    izthewiz Posts: 154
    My 'puter freezes every time I get to the front page because of this advert. And no, it's not a steam-powered dinosaur. It's a Dell precision 390 with Core Duo processor. Still gets held up by the ad loading, and it wooshes every 30-odd secs regardless (the ad, not the PC).

Please do something about it. It's driving me nuts!
    The only bad view from the saddle is of the point of impact rising rapidly to meet you.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • peanut
    firefox is a coad of lrap :twisted:

Its bloated to 20Mb now :shock: whats all that for I hear you ask ... well judging by my hard drive activity when I logon its writing home to mum telling her where I've been and what I've been up to on the net.
  • zeroseven
    peanut wrote:

Its bloated to 20Mb now :shock: whats all that for I hear you ask ... well judging by my hard drive activity when I logon its writing home to mum telling her where I've been and what I've been up to on the net.

try chrome - brilliant
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    again - add off please !!!! surely there's a more suitable advertiser...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    zeroseven wrote:
    peanut wrote:

try chrome - brilliant
    What, because that only writes home to Google?
  • zeroseven
    whyamihere wrote:
    What, because that only writes home to Google?

No it doesn't. Do your homework

Its the fastest browser I've used..... even in beta
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Information received by Google when you use Google Chrome

You do not need to provide any personally identifying information in order to download and use Google Chrome. When you download Google Chrome or use it to contact Google’s servers, Google receives only standard log information including your machine’s IP address and one or more cookies. You can configure Google Chrome not to send cookies to Google or other sites as explained here.

In addition, some Google Chrome features send limited additional information to Google:

* When you type URLs or queries in the address bar, the letters that you type are sent to Google so that the Suggest feature can automatically recommend terms or URLs that you may be looking for. If you choose to share usage statistics with Google and you accept a suggested query or URL, Google Chrome will send that information to Google as well. You can disable this feature as explained here.
    * If you navigate to a URL that does not exist, Google Chrome may send the URL to Google so that we can help you find the URL that you were looking for. You can disable this feature as explained here.
    * Google Chrome's SafeBrowsing feature periodically contacts Google's servers to download the most recent list of known phishing and malware sites. In addition, when you visit a site that we think could be a phishing or malware site, your browser will send Google a hashed, partial copy of the site's URL so that we can send more information about the risky URL. Google cannot determine the real URL you are visiting from this information. More information about how this works is here.
    * Your copy of Google Chrome includes one or more unique application numbers. These numbers and information about your installation of the browser (e.g. version number, language) will be sent to Google when you first install and use it and when Google Chrome automatically checks for updates. If you choose to send usage statistics and crash reports to Google, the browser will send us this information along with a unique application number as well. Crash reports can contain information from files, applications and services that were running at the time of a malfunction. We use crash reports to diagnose and try to fix any problems with the browser.
    * You may choose Google as your search engine using Google Chrome, and you may also use Google Chrome to access other Google services such as Google Mail. The Privacy Policies of Google Mail or other services apply when you access them, no matter which browser you use. Using Google Chrome to connect to Google services will not cause Google to receive any special or additional personally identifying information about you.

From http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en-GB/privacy.html
  • peanut
    I suspect C+ are committed to an advertising contract and will not be able to change the current settings . Annoying though it is I'm sure the revenue from these ads are what supports our forum . Guess I wouldn't want the forum restricted or lost.

I know this is probably a bit off topic but it seems that everything you download is now dending our personal information and internet search patterns back to momma. I don't know about you but this really P's me off. Its kinda like you're being violated mentally.,know what I mean ! its without my permission.
    I've dumped AVG , Zonealarm , Avast , Spysweeper and other anti-virus and firewall software for this reason.

Just do a simple check on how many cookies are placed on your drive without your knowledge and permission.You will be staggered
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    try this .. Go to TOOLS OPTIONS PRIVACY in the box `cookies ' scroll and select ASK ME EVERY TIME then APPLY OK
    Next time you open any webpage you will see how many cookies are left on visiting each website . BBC has about 6x Telegraph has about 12x :shock:

You can change the cookie setting back to `keep until they expire'
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    peanut wrote:
    I know this is probably a bit off topic but it seems that everything you download is now dending our personal information and internet search patterns back to momma. I don't know about you but this really P's me off. Its kinda like you're being violated mentally.,know what I mean ! its without my permission.
    I've dumped AVG , Zonealarm , Avast , Spysweeper and other anti-virus and firewall software for this reason.
    It's a problem with running proprietary software - you don't know what it's doing, and the developer knows this.
    Just do a simple check on how many cookies are placed on your drive without your knowledge and permission.You will be staggered
    What's wrong with dumping cookies to your local disk? That information is still on your PC...
  • peanut
    Big Red S wrote:
    [
    What's wrong with dumping cookies to your local disk? That information is still on your PC...

sorry I'm not sure what your point is big red ? I was just giving an example of what is uploaded and downloaded to our hard drives without our knowledge and permission. :wink:
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    I was wondering what was wrong with cookies?

It is with your implicit permission, and it's getting more and more difficult to argue that it's without the user's knowledge.
    I don't know of any (mainstream) browser that doesn't let you disallow cookies altogether, and most offer some compromises.
  • zeroseven
    Thats the beta version whyamihere.... and I believe even in that you can disable the feedback
  • zeroseven
    peanut wrote:
    I suspect C+ are committed to an advertising contract and will not be able to change the current settings . Annoying though it is I'm sure the revenue from these ads are what supports our forum . Guess I wouldn't want the forum restricted or lost.
    '

But if the ad if faulty as claimed then they have no obligation to run it
  • peanut
    Big Red S wrote:
    I was wondering what was wrong with cookies?

It is with your implicit permission, and it's getting more and more difficult to argue that it's without the user's knowledge.
    I don't know of any (mainstream) browser that doesn't let you disallow cookies altogether, and most offer some compromises.

yes but 95% of browsers are completely unaware of this going on so how can it be with their implicit permission?
    They don't see it happening and are not even aware of being able to control cookies .That is the point I was making.
    Were you aware for example that giving you're credit card details to Paypal gives them the right to take money from you're bank account whenever they want? without reference to you and any amount they see fit. Check with your bank and Paypal's small print.