Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• What's the CDC, not come across that one?

I was going to use my LCC card which is also 10% :D
  • I'd be interested to know if Condor honour the LCC discount. Anytime I've tried to use it they've said, No not for that item. If I could get 10% of a Catlike helmet I'd be tempted myself.
  • Really star_rover? Did they say why?

Many shops don't allow it on bikes, fair enough, but Condor are listed as one of the shops that give an LCC discount on accessories (no upper limits) they should honour it, even if it is a rather expensive accessory. No other LBS has ever quibbled.
  • You're right, they are listed in the LCC mag as offering 10% off accessories. They are notorious for decling the discount on the more luxury items (which, lets face it, is most of their stock). So they might give you the 10% off a 30 quid helmet, but knock you back if it's for a £120 catlike. I think they claimed it was because their markup for these items wasn't that much, so if you took another 10% off, etc.
    Still, it's got to be worth a try. It's been a while since I last asked for a discount there, you might have more luck.
  • Thanks. Forewarned is forearmed...I shall smile very sweetly when asking for my discount. If I decide it's worth it once I've had to a chance to try one on in my preferred size and colour, that is...it will have to be perfect at that price.

I find the markup thing a little bit hard to believe (a place like Condor must be able to command a decent trade price I would have thought), but thought it might be something like that. If they do have such a policy on more luxury items, I reckon the LCC should be informed so it can be made clear in the mag/on their website.
  • markybhoy67
    markybhoy67 Posts: 346
    edited October 2008
    Start with the biggies first, I only got my bike in June :shock:

Shimano mw80 waterproof shoes = £75
    Shimano m122 shoes = £65
    Altura Night Vision Jacket = £50
    Altura Night Vision waterproof trousers = £40
    Endura 3/4 humvees x 2 @£40 = £80
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus x2 = £55
    Shimano spd pedals = £40
    Cateye wireless strada = £35
    Blackburn track pump = £30
    Helmet = £30
    Rucksack = £30
    Seal Skin Gloves = £20
    Saddle bag = £20
    Bike Lock = £20
    Cleats x 2 = £18
    Seal Skin waterproof socks = £15
    Seal Skin waterproof beanie = £10
    Bike pump = £10
    Cateye rear light for rucksack = £10
    Assorted tools / puncture repair / spare inner tubes = £70

I got a (allegedly) £25 pair of sunglasses free from wiggle LOL

Lights where free with the bike

I am now trying to wangle a park pcs 10 bike stand @ £90 into the above (try as a crimbo present)

Also want to go on a bike maintenance course @ £45

Also wanting a pair of waist tights as it is cold at 05:45 in the morning on the roads

And lastly I had to get a shed built to keep the bike as the wife didn't want it in the house so that was £400 including base :lol:

All for a bike that cost £550 :shock:

Edit, no doubt I will keep adding as I remember what else I have bought :D
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I had 4 different purchases from Wiggle on my last credit card bill totalling just under £300.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I just bought some mini mars bars for my saddlepack :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    panaracer fire XC folding tyres for the MTB
    Innertube for the MTB
    ineertube for the road bike

and last month:

MT31 SPD shoes
    PD M424 pedals for road/commute rig

next month? (if I have the cash)
    PD m540 for MTB?
    waterproof softshell?
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Assos 3/4 bib knicker things.
  • FIzik Gobi Kium @ £60 (£20 off at merlin :D)
    New rear brake rotor following large stack involving rear wheel falling out and rotor being bent past repair :(
  • linsen wrote:

LOL, I have them in my rucksack (honest)
  • linsen wrote:

LOL, I have them in my rucksack (honest)

as well as some jelly babies mmmmm
  • star_rover wrote:
    You're right, they are listed in the LCC mag as offering 10% off accessories. They are notorious for decling the discount on the more luxury items (which, lets face it, is most of their stock). So they might give you the 10% off a 30 quid helmet, but knock you back if it's for a £120 catlike. I think they claimed it was because their markup for these items wasn't that much, so if you took another 10% off, etc.
    Still, it's got to be worth a try. It's been a while since I last asked for a discount there, you might have more luck.

They were out of stock of the Catlike I wanted, said they were having trouble getting them in, but I would have got the discount if they'd had them. I asked and they said it was only Campag and Assos stuff that didn't get the discount.
  • Bagman
    Bagman Posts: 311
    a pair of OURY grips - hopefully they will help with the ulnar nerve thing!

Oh, and a Selle Italia Trans am saddle.......very comfy
  • Trek 1.9 triple, loads of clothing and lights, but half a stone lighter, fitter and healthier than in a long time. Money well spent!
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Shimano R131 road shoes- £54 from LBS
    Shimano R540 pedals- £18 from friend
    Pair Conti GP4000's- £24-ish iirc each from wiggle
    Pair Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks- Free from wiggle after they were sent out by mistake in place of the contis
    Various base layer/compression tops-Sweatshop, not sure how much
    Two rim tapes,tubes, etc.-probably about £20 all in
    All since returning to uni at start of october. Oops.
  • Trek 1.9 triple, loads of clothing and lights, but half a stone lighter, fitter and healthier than in a long time. Money well spent!

Yip, that is what it is all about.

I am lighter and healthier as well 8)
  • A nice new pair of Specialized Pro Road shoes and Time RXE Pedals for my langster. Not really commuting gear, especailly as the shoes are white, but I get to work 10-15mins faster...
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    After getting cold fingers this morning, a pair of Sealskinz winter grip gloves from Wiggle. Lined with merino wool....mmmm.....
  • star_rover wrote:
    You're right, they are listed in the LCC mag as offering 10% off accessories. They are notorious for decling the discount on the more luxury items (which, lets face it, is most of their stock). So they might give you the 10% off a 30 quid helmet, but knock you back if it's for a £120 catlike. I think they claimed it was because their markup for these items wasn't that much, so if you took another 10% off, etc.

They were out of stock of the Catlike I wanted, said they were having trouble getting them in, but I would have got the discount if they'd had them. I asked and they said it was only Campag and Assos stuff that didn't get the discount.

I think they make it up day to day. I was buying Nitto handlebars.
  • fonty1978
    fonty1978 Posts: 101
    Best thing i've bought so far it's a winter jacket by Spesh, showeproof and breathable. I really like it.

http://www.primera-bournemouth.co.uk/Template.aspx?prodID=4245
    Commuter Surosa Toledo S34 Audax
    Best Bike Merida Road Race 901-18

In truth i love them both
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Just bought a dedicated yellow tyre for my road bike to use on my turbo trainer. Just as boring as my dog tag. :?
    Steve C
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Went to decathalon near my parents and bought 2 pairs of shorts at £6.95 for under my bikester pants. A track pump for £20. Bike cleaning brushes for £10 and a pack with lube and degreaser.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Just bought a bright yellow messenger bag cos I'm a fakenger tart.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • I dread to think what I've spent over the past 7 weeks. It all started with a Trek Madone 6.5. To which I've naturally had to add Keo Carbon pedals, replace all the standard bolts with Ti ones, replace the stock Bonty saddle with an SLR Kit Carbonio. Shimano carbon-soled shoes. New lights. Lots of winter clothing from Ground Effect. Avid Juicy 7s. Spinergys for the TT bike. Kenda Nevegals. A day's one-to-one skills training. Various other bits and pieces.

I'd been saving for a rainy day, and it rained. :)
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Well my cycling budget for the year was definitely blown on Saturday. I picked up a good lot of winter gear - a pair of MT51 boots, a couple of pairs of SealSkinz waterproof socks, some tops and tights...

...and a Giant TCR C3 :D

LBS (McConvey Cycles) had a few of the '08 models left in stock and were clearing them out. Luckily, one was just the right size for me so in an unusual display of decisiveness I just went for it. C2W scheme, so I'm getting a brand new £1450, full carbon bike for £600ish :D

What's more, the Mrs. was with me so I don't even have to explain it when I get home :lol:
    Today is a good day to ride
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    @Girv73

No credit crunch in Belfast big lad???

You're going to have to grow that beard now, that a serious step up in FCN!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    No credit crunch in Belfast big lad???

You're going to have to grow that beard now, that a serious step up in FCN!

"big lad" ... now I know for sure you're from Norn Iron :lol:

I've budgeted for this, following the advice of our glorious leader and being "prudent" etc. so hopefully I'll be able to keep it through the crunch (are we allowed to say the R-word yet?) and not have to burn it for heat this winter or swap it for some beans to feed the family.

I guess I'll be FCN 6 to start with as I'll be on flats/toeclips 'til I get pedals sorted out? 5 if you subscribe to the halfbeard conjecture. I'll crosspost to SCR to be sure :)

[edit]

Seems I spoke too soon, it's all fallen on its arse and no new bikey for me :cry:
    Today is a good day to ride