Is anyone else a volunteer for the RNLI?

Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf Posts: 776
edited November 2008 in The Crudcatcher
I've made up my mind and will shortly be applying to join my local RNLI crew, with the possibility of moving to a station 10 minutes down the road when it's built.

Is anyone else a paid/volunteer member?
What's it like?

It's always appealed to me and now that I'm 23, I reckon I'm about responsible and grown up enough to do something decent with my life, and possibly do something to help someone else's.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My Dad supports them as I do in my own little way. I had a RNLI wristband for 2 years after I stayed in the college in Poole but it broke and I've been trying to get another one since but with no joy.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Maybe check out their website and see if there is a fundraising event near you, perhaps you can get one there, if anywhere?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Tried the RNLI webby and tried a few shops and lifeboat stations but drew a blank. Looks like it might have been one of short run item.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Wife's grandad is honsec of Rock Lifeboat.

We're a bit too far from the nearest station for me to volunteer but I would if we were closer.

They saved my dad's life about 2o odd years ago.
  • How far are you from them then? They're not like the coastguard because you live at the station for your 12hr shift. I'd have a fair-ish way to go, but it'd be worth it no doubt.

Guess I'm lucky really, I know 3 guys who are already serving with the team I'm looking to join, Helmsman, trainee Helmsman and 3yr veteran of Coastguard and recent lifeboat volunteer (although not influenced by them at all)
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Papa - know a load of people on Rock, Port Isaac and St Agnes lifeboats (all Cornwall) - I guess our nearest station is probably St Agnes - about 15-20 mins in clear traffic.

We live on the South Coast but right up and estuary (Malpas in the middle of the pic) so although right on the water, the lifeboats are all a fair way away!

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=malpas ... %20TR1%201

Rescued two people so far when doing the local regatta rescue boat! Not quite the same though!

Good luck with it all - extremely rewarding and good comaraderie too.
  • lexiekay
    lexiekay Posts: 379
    My uncle volunteered for them for several years, and when he gave it up (they moved house), got a certificate saying he'd helped to save 12 lives. Definitely worth doing...
  • I applied to join a few years ago. They asked "How well can you swim?" I said " Why? Haven't you got enough boats?" In the right light you can still see the boot mark on my bum.
  • Lol that'd so be a typical me response.. I may have to behave for once...
  • I'm with Tynemouth lifeboat. It's not always plain sailing (sorry) being on the crew but getting involved with the RNLI is one of the best things I've ever done. You'll get the best training available and eventually realise you're part of the "family".

Best thing you can do if you haven't already is go down to your local station and introduce yourself, and if it's an all weather lifeboat station, ask if you can go out with them on exercises. If you do go out, be proactive in finding out what goes on - there's nothing worse than someone who comes along and sits around waiting to be told what to do!
  • I'm with Tynemouth lifeboat. It's not always plain sailing (sorry) being on the crew but getting involved with the RNLI is one of the best things I've ever done. You'll get the best training available and eventually realise you're part of the "family".

Best thing you can do if you haven't already is go down to your local station and introduce yourself, and if it's an all weather lifeboat station, ask if you can go out with them on exercises. If you do go out, be proactive in finding out what goes on - there's nothing worse than someone who comes along and sits around waiting to be told what to do!

Don't get me wrong, I know it wont be all fun n games, plus I'm no slacker.

I'm awating to meet a trainee helmsman for the station, who also teaches alot of the stuff like first aid, hopefully if all goes well I may end up meeting the station commander at the same time and better still, go out with them in November when they got a huge training exercise planned, involving 5 different crews and air sea rescue, plus the local hovercraft station.
    I'm definately not the kind to sit around and be quiet, infact I'm probably very annoying because I like to know how everything works and how 1 thing impacts another, and should it get really technical, I'll even ask how to service an engine and practically rebuild it should the need arise lol
    Very hands on and motivated, which is a large part of why I'm gonna be doing it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Much respect, hope it goes well.

Bet they are busy today!
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Pennywise wrote:
    I applied to join a few years ago. They asked "How well can you swim?" I said " Why? Haven't you got enough boats?" In the right light you can still see the boot mark on my bum.

Dont get me wrong cos i think the life boats do a very good job indeed and the guys that run them are far braver than i could ever be but this response really made me laugh outloud, its the sort of thing i would say :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I used to mix up the RNIB and RNLI!

Jeremy Clarkson did a similar thing with RSPCA and RSPB - once saying the Royal Society for the PREVENTION of Birds!
  • Neil.b
    Neil.b Posts: 35
    The RNLI do an amazing job, I would join up in a second if I lived on the coast near a station, unfortunately I am a little far from the sea ATM :( .
  • I'm not an RNLI volunteer, but am currently considering applying to join the North Wales SWRT (Swift Water Rescue Team) as I already have lots of experience in that area, Need to get driving first though.