Ex Demo Bikes

zacca
zacca Posts: 25
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
My LBS has several of the wilier mortirolo mirage 08 bikes that currently are used as demo bikes. However, he said that in a few months, which is when Im looking to buy,he will be selling these bikes as ex-demo for around £1000. However, for the same price I could by the model down from the mortirolo, the la triestina for 1000 - brand new.
Has anyone got any experience of ex-demo bikes and whether its worth spending £1000 on an ex demo instead of a lower model but brand new bike? Obviously it depends on a bit of common sense, if the wheel was out of true and a bottom bracket mashed I definately wouldnt, but if there was no damage apart from the odd splattering of dirt, would you buy an ex-demo?

cheers

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    It depends on the saving I guess - not sure if it's 100% the same spec but Epic are doing '08 Mortirolo Mirage for that price new:

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/wilier.htm

Also, many dealers will be looking to shift '08 models when '09 come out, so a grand is what I'd probably expect for a new one - £800 would be good for ex demo though :wink:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I bought an ex demo Orbea Onix for 750 instead of 1400. It was prepped as new new(new tyres,tape etc) and came with a years warrenty. It depends on the LBS, if they are good then go for it, you will get a much better bike than expected.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Your LBS is obliged to sell a used bike in as roadworthy condition as a new one - it just depends on whether they're going to replace any parts or just service it. Dealers normally buy test bikes at an additional discount, so I'd be looking at least 30% off RRP.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Really depends on the condition - have a good look at it first. Doesn't sound a great deal but then they might be mint.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    But you can get an even bigger saving, I was offered an '07 carbon fibre scott scale last year with a rolhoff, xtr and fox forks and handbuilt wheels for 1k, I'm kicking myself now for not buying it.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I bought my first bike years ago from my local LBS who had loads of bikes that had been used for a triathlon on london, sold them with warranty etc, £100 off the asking price, OK it was only Giant OCR3's but now makes a nice winter bike.