Etape du Tour 2009

McHattie
McHattie Posts: 146
The details for the 2009 Etape du Tour are due to be announced on Wednesday (22nd Oct), with Mont Ventoux heavily rumoured to be the main climb.

It would be great to know what entry routes riders are using - whether direct entry or tour companies. I was thinking of applying for direct entry through Cyclomundo (http://www.cyclomundo.com), but I have no previous experience of the Etape, so this may not be the best way.

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    hiya,
    I used Cyclomundo this year and they were excellent - really helpful & the accommodation was great. I'm not sure about 2009 - I was hoping to do the etape in the middle of a family holiday but the price of villas in that region is quite steep so might not do that after all. I've already got my name down with cyclomundo for an entry only place though.

Did you read the bit in cycling weekly - first page from the editor - about the Etape. He mentioned that the rumour was that the Etape was ventoux and that it was a 110km route - the shortest ever etape?
  • McHattie
    McHattie Posts: 146
    Yes, I did read that, popette. As an Etape beginner, that sounded alright to me - and I have been wanting to ride Ventoux anyway.
  • I did the 2007 Foix - Loudenville with French Cycling Holidays. There were really good. I had no problems at all with them. It's expensive but then again they all are!!

Vive les All Blacks!!! [:D]
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    Even if it was 110km (which sounds unlikely), do not underestimate the mighty Ventoux. We rode it last year on a beautiful sunny day in September. We drove to Bedoin and rode it fresh from there. It was still roughly a 2hr climb, and about 25 degrees on top. Even after 80-90km and in the heat it would be tough I'd say..
  • 110 sounds way too short, even with the Ventoux involved.
  • i'm speculating but i suspect that cycling weekly may have meant 110 miles.

i hope it is ventoux because i've always wanted to do it
    pm
  • mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    If you want to ride the giant of Provence then when not do la Ventoux instead at the beginning of June. Wont be as busy as the Etape and will be just as hard. The finish of the Etape can be chaotic and I would not fancy lingering around on the summit of Ventoux for too long in poor weather.
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    mozwyn69 wrote:
    ...............Wont be as busy as the Etape and will be just as hard........

The etape has roads closed to motor cars etc.

This summer riding the Tourmalet without the normal large number of motor vehicles was for me a bonus and not something to be easily found at any other time.

The etape is part of my longer cycling holiday and there are always lots of quiet roads and other cols to explore before and after the big day BUT riding actual tour stages without closed roads is not something I would particularly fancy.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    I went with cyclomundo this year and they were great. Three nights accommodation in decent hotels plus entry for about €400. They do several packages with varying degrees of flexibility eg as to travel arrangements.
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I rode Mont Ventoux in August got up at 6.30am started from Bedoin at about 7am got to the top and back down only saw one car the whole way and this was about 3km outside of Bedoin on the way back down. In real terms is it worth paying a couple of hundred quid to ride with no vehicles what is really a route you can do anytime.
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    guv001 wrote:
    I rode Mont Ventoux in August got up at 6.30am started from Bedoin at about 7am got to the top and back down only saw one car the whole way and this was about 3km outside of Bedoin on the way back down. In real terms is it worth paying a couple of hundred quid to ride with no vehicles what is really a route you can do anytime.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that Guv. To ride a full tour stage with 8000 others on closed roads with Mavic support cars, feed stations etc etc then watch the Pros do it 5 days later is an unbelievable experience. It certainly was for me from Gap to Alpe D'Huez in 2006.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    guv001 wrote:

The atmosphere, the route, the day is a celebration of cycling, and the nature of a sportive (they call them races in France and Italy) means you tend to try that bit harder

In real terms, then, it is absolutely worth it

If you're in doubt try a sportive in this country

If you prefer riding alone, that's fine too
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    Its not the atmosphere and all that jazz that is the problem its the inflated prices to do the etape. There are as others have said rides that offer all that at a fraction of the price. Just to add I ride sportives and am a avid group/club rider.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    True, it does cost a lot to enter the Etape-and to get there, and you have all the hassle of accommodation if you don't go with a tour organiser, and the cost of that if you do. It's such a great event, I do think its worth entering. Of course, you have to factor in all the costs of the training/bike/kit etc if you're going to be really calculating about it

Other sportives in France are really good-the Marmotte predates the Etape and goes over such a classic route, that it's really worthwhile. It's cheap, and you can enter on the line if you wish

Smaller ones run by clubs are really nice too-generally very friendly, and lovely grub-and a sit down meal at the end generally!
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway