Weldtite tf2

Stuart Ross
Stuart Ross Posts: 16
edited October 2008 in The workshop
Hi
I have just posted this question in the road beginners forum but think here may be more approporiate .
Having just degreased my chain with fenwicks fs1 for the first time I have sprayed it with weldtite tf2 spray (given to me by LBS when I bought the bike). I usually use this on the chain but am wondering whether it is adequate as the chain has been degreased. Should I be using one of those chain lubes that are added drop by drop to each link instead? Also, should I be spraying tf2 all over the cogs, in the shifters and deraileurs ? Thanks in advance
Stuart

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If is not enough.

Get some quality chain lube.

the spray is good for cables (if they need it) and is a bit light for anything else but is better than nothing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thank you Nicklouse. I will get some proper lube before I take the bike out.
    Cheers
    Stuart
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is better than nothing but ....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    TF2 is not the best lube in the world, but I have used it on chains without any excessive wear being evident. Particularly in summer.

I use it as a water displacer , with lubricating properties, on the chain after washing the bike. It is also quite clean in that it doesn't pick up road muck. The problem is that it does not seem to be very long lasting and you will be relubing all the time.

I mostly use Finish Line Cross Country for thsi reason, but that does get muckier.

As far as lubing a chain, only apply to the rollers on the inside facing part of the chain and wipe any excess off after a few spins of the cranks to get the lube into the chain. Don't lube the casette or chain rings.

TF2 is goood for other general lubrication, eg derailleur and brake pivots etc. Just be careful if it is a spray and make sure you don't get it near your brake pads or wheel rims