Damaged thread in rack fitting

syncro
syncro Posts: 120
edited November 2008 in The workshop
Just fitted a rack on my work bike and i've found that the thread on one of the fittings on the seat stay is dodgy. The allen bolt wont tighten up :( . Any suggestions or quick fixes?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Two ways round this.

1. Go to a frambuilder and get them to fill the hole with braze and re-tap the thread and respray the seat stay/frame

2. Drill the thread out and use a longer bolt and put a nut on the other end of the bolt.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    Make sure if you drill out the thread and opt for a longer bolt to use a lock nut or spring washer. Small amounts of vibration will cause it to come free even if done up FT.

I would go for the second opt from Redvee as easy to do.
  • david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    Agreed. The first suggestion is the 100% cure, but you would be looking at a respray...

Actually, if you're nervous about doing it, or dont have the tools you could almost certainly get away without drilling. Just use a bolt of the same thread but sufficiently long to let you get a lock nut on the end - as suggested - but just wind it through the fitting, add the locknut and tighten against that. Trailside repair!

If the damaged eye is the on the rear drop out you could probably get away with inserting a dome head allen bolt from inside the stay and adding rack leg, lock nut etc on the outside.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    nut and bolt is easy and re fastenable - even easier if the the allen bolt is not too sloppy is just to glue it in place with some red loctite.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    feel wrote:
    nut and bolt is easy and re fastenable - even easier if the the allen bolt is not too sloppy is just to glue it in place with some red loctite.

Would red loctite clash with the frame colour?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    redvee wrote:
    feel wrote:

Would red loctite clash with the frame colour?

good point, but with me it matches my eyes :twisted:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • there are two other ways one tap out if too far gone there is a really good bit off kit that i use a lot in my job called time sert its not a heli coil basically it puts a new insert in your required hole so to speak :)