Getting into the City from West London

Harry B
Harry B Posts: 1,239
edited October 2008 in The bottom bracket
Does anyone have a decent route which avoids the Western Avenue (A40)? I have access to road bike and MTB but will probably use the MTB. I was thinking of using the Grand Union canal from Northolt through to Paddington and then finding my way from there.

I could probably try the commuters forum but after recent posts thought it best to try here first. We're all much more sensible/intellegent/good looking... :wink:

Any decent suggestions gratefully recieved

Comments

• guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    The Uxbridge road is really your only other option to the A40. Go round Shepherd's Bush along Holand Park to Notting Hill and on to Oxford Street. From there you can work it out depending where you need to get to. The road goes straight more or less to the Old Street roundabout.
  • The canal isn't a fast option, and at this time of year you'll need A+ lights and in the summer you'll conflict with walkers.

As guinea suggests, there's always the the option of going through Greenford and Haven Green and picking up the A4020 Uxbridge Road and onwards through Notting Hill and the Bayswater Road. Be aware 'lo that Thames Water are on a mission to clog Acton with traffic with endless roadworks, and that TfL have seriously loused Shepherds Bush's Southern Roundabout - we are hopeful that there is light at the end of the tunnel with the latter.

Is the Harrow Road an option for you?
  • Check the Journey Planner on www.tfl.gov.uk
    There is a cycle option in the advanced section.
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    Check the Journey Planner on www.tfl.gov.uk
    There is a cycle option in the advanced section.

Tried that it suggests the A40. I could get an overland train from West Ruislip into Marylebone but you can't take your bike during peak hours :( All I want ot do is use my bike more often and get off the sodding tube but it's proving difficult.

I gonna get brave and see what those on the commuter forum suggest...

Wish me luck, I'm going in
  • Forget Oxford Street, if you can follow the canal to Paddington, there's a cycle route from Paddington basin through to Bloomsbury, from where you can get on to Gray's Inn Road, down to Chancery Lane and onward to the City.

Hope this works:

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/X ... Distance=1