If I hear another sportsman say "AWESOME" I am goi

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited October 2008 in Campaign
Where did this bloody word come from? I think it maybe a favourite amongst our fat tyred friends but anyone who is into sports or a certain Lifestyle seems to not be able to keep this word in. If you hear anyone on two wheels, say about a ride they did, or a new bike they have or anything that would inspire this word to come out then put your water bottle in the gap, where this word will spill out from.
If Sean Kelly comes out with this word then Armageddon will surely follow.
Viva Sean! Who also rode at 100%, not anything above, because to say so is tosh!
- Sorry to spout off but it needs to be said.
-Cheers Jerry
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    What an awesome rant.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    an awesome comeback as well there Whyamihere

The way some people can whinge about success is awesome
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Awesome is a mere repechage candidate compared to the ubiquitous and utterly meaningless "UNBELIEVABLE".

Everything that happens to anyone ever interviewed in the media turns out to be unbelievable.

I scored a goal. Unbelievable.
    I won. Unbelievable.
    How does it feel to be at the olympics? Unbelievable.

FFS, what DO these people believe is going to happen to them in the course of their normal daily activities? They're unbelievable! DOH! :evil:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    I rate this thread 9/10 - awesome, would read again!

Etc...

:wink:
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Or, as nearly everyone seems to say nowadays instead of yes, "absolutely".

Which reminds me, there is only one example of a Native North American totem pole which has, as its main animal theme, a horse. It's Horsally totem
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • I was advised to "use this window of opportunity to.............." this morning. Im going to go all "Dexter" on the silly fat bar steward in the Car Park after work :lol:
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Do they not know that they don't race ' on paper' but against the elements or 'At the end of the day' there is night?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    pneumatic wrote:
    Awesome is a mere repechage candidate compared to the ubiquitous and utterly meaningless "UNBELIEVABLE".

Everything that happens to anyone ever interviewed in the media turns out to be unbelievable.

I scored a goal. Unbelievable.
    I won. Unbelievable.
    How does it feel to be at the olympics? Unbelievable.

FFS, what DO these people believe is going to happen to them in the course of their normal daily activities? They're unbelievable! DOH! :evil:

The only guy who could pull that off was the old git in One Foot in the Grave... 'cause pretty unbelievable things happened to them in every series. :lol:
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    if you don't find everything unbelievable and awesome perhaps you are not passionate enough. you must have passion for everything, or else. So show some passion. It's awesome. I just can't believe it .
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    They're passionate about moaning, does that count? :lol: 8)
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I've just come back from 3 weeks in the USA.

'Awesome' is a word Americans seem to use all the time, instead of 'good' or 'great', 'super', etc.

I overheard a bloke on his mobile phone (well, cellphone over there) saying
    "If we could just have a burger and go to the saladbar, that would be awesome"
    (I italicise awesome because that's how he said it, he didn't just say 'awesome', he said 'awesome')

Now, myself, I doubt having a burger and some salad invokes a sense of awe, perhaps like God appearing to Moses...

Seems even in America someone agrees with me
    http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/200 ... y_word.php
  • Where did this bloody word come from

The word awe developed from age (about 1250) and aghe (about 1200). It was borrowed from a Scandinavian source, from Proto-Germanic. Old English ege `fear, awe' produced eie and aye, both also meaning 'fear,' in early Middle English. Today's form awe appeared in the 15th century.

Awesome arose in 1598 from awe + -some, a suffix forming adjectives.

HTH
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I like to use a more progressive form of the word:

Owsome. Or even Ow Some.
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    I've just come back from 3 weeks in the USA.

I overheard a bloke on his mobile phone (well, cellphone over there) saying
    "If we could just have a burger and go to the saladbar, that would be awesome"
    (I italicise awesome because that's how he said it, he didn't just say 'awesome', he said 'awesome')

Heh heh, if the topic of conversation really was as mundane as a burger in a saladbar, then I think "awesome" might be stretching it some.

But what if it was some kind of coded language, say to his fancy woman, where "burger" and "saladbar" are nothing of the sort? This theory has my mind ticking over, and some of the possibilities are definitely appealing!!

I'll get my coat.....