Killing the CRC ad (and other Flash animations)

2»

Comments

• I use Google Chrome for this site and most of my other personal browsing when done at work. Anyone else use it? I need to know what you think so I can jump on the bandwagon!
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    There was much tutting about the 'we own you' EULA.

That might've changed. The EULA certainly did, but I'm not sure how much. IIRC, Iron is built on the Chrome codebase, but doesn't have any of the bits that talk to Google.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Google chrome looks pretty neat, and I like it.
    However, I'm not happy about the insecure location of it's app files, especially considering it's an internet connected app :roll:

Hopefully that will get sorted out soon - it might have already hopefully.

Also, I really REALLY dislike the fact that it silently installs (installed?) "google updater" without any forewarning, for which there is no way of uninstalling.

Also, what the hell is the deal with there still being no Linux version of it? I thought Google used their own custom version of Linux in-house, so developing a compatible version should have happened pretty quick?

Anyway, as for big red S, The fact that closed source software is not distributed via the repositories explains, perfectly, why there is no repository for windows.
    Also, you don't happen to do any software development, do you? I'm looking for an IDE to work on C++ and C# code, and Visual studio looks good, but expensive (for the full version). Do you know of any open source alternatives?
  • Big Red S
    No, the closest I come to developing really are php and perl, for which I use vim.

I know there are some OSS IDEs for the Cs, but I can't recall the names. I think I've got a linuxy mag at home with a grouptest of them in it, but I could be very wide of the mark. I'll have a look when I get back.
  • Anonymous
    cheers
  • Big Red S
    Oh, and Crossover did a Linux port of Chrome.

I think both Iron and Chrome will run under Wine.
  • Anonymous
    meh, I've always seen wine as half-assed. If you want to run windows apps, just run windows.
  • Anonymous
    or, a VM in unity mode of course.
  • Big Red S
    I play HalfLife 2 under Wine.

Thought I'd give it a go and see what happened, worked really really well...
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I'm looking for an IDE to work on C++ and C# code, and Visual studio looks good, but expensive (for the full version).
    I've used Visual Studio since v1.52 and although it's expensive, for me there's no other choice. Have you thought about getting an earlier version ? No good for C# but I still use v6.0 on a Win2k box for some legacy stuff that just isn't worth porting.
  • Anonymous
    Big Red S wrote:
    I play HalfLife 2 under Wine.

Thought I'd give it a go and see what happened, worked really really well...
    Well, HL2 is a pretty old game now, but still, I'm almost 100% certain it would run much much faster under windows.
  • Big Red S
    Oh yeah, I was just amazed that it ran at all.

And it's quicker and easier than rebooting.
  • Big Red S
    Had a quick poke around, couldn't find an IDE roundup....