Add balast to bikes to stop cheating??

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited October 2008 in Campaign
This theory was inspired by watching the Touring Cars on TV once. The success of a particular team would be given added weight to their cars if they won races. If they kept on winning then the cars would get heavier until the car became slow enough to less competitive again.
This could also work for riders and teams in cycling by simply adding weights to bikes. Contador with his 3 Tour wins could be brought back onto line with a a kilo or two bolted to his frame. This could result in riders or teams getting less success by cheating. This may also give better behaved Teams (French teams and riders maybe; I don't think that they are lazy as Hinault would have it) the chance to win the bigger races.
With a quarter of the stages won at this tears Tour being won by drugs cheats then maybe a new way should be looked at. (Drugs cheats who were caught; we all know by now the Drugs Tests can be got around by masking drugs etc).
Hmmm.... :?
Cheers Jerry
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    Stupid idea.

A rider goes for lantern rouge in every race then wins the tour because they are on a 15lb bike, not a 25lb one.

This would do absolutely nothing to stop doping.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Drugs are a problem for two reasons. 1) its seen as acceptable to win at all costs and 2) there isnt a decent level of testing. Bring in the olympic standard of testing and improve on that - they know what drugs they're taking.

A colleage of my brother's used to be a pro on a team and he said the night before the race was a real problem as you couldnt get any sleep. Those who'd been doping would be running up and down the stairs as they'd taken too much or thought they'd have a heart attack.

Ballast aint gonna make a difference.
  • jerry3571
    ok, it's a huge step but the results are skewed anyway by drugs. With this method, the more success a rider has (probably drug indused) the harder it will be for that rider to dominate through abusing the system.

I guess though, another flaw of "weighting bikes" is that motor racing has many races through the season to which all the cars must take part whereas cycling is a bit more "a la carte". Some riders targetting only one race a year.

Hmmm... ok...needs a bit more thinking about down the pub.

Anyone else got any ideas??
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I think they should set up a system where, on average, you have to push on the pedals harder in order to win. That way, the legs of riders who win are more tired and they are disadvantaged for the next day's race. Kind of like a handicap system. :roll:
  • downfader
    I think they should set up a system where, on average, you have to push on the pedals harder in order to win. That way, the legs of riders who win are more tired and they are disadvantaged for the next day's race. Kind of like a handicap system. :roll:

Aint that what the Aussie fella did this year at the TDF and then lost as a a result :lol:
  • jerry3571
    You can tell the Aussie was clean by his calm and serene temperment.

I love the comment from "Always Tired"; fantastic! Maybe if they tried Steriods then they might not get tired; has anyone tried that or am I doing this "Blue Sky Thinking" again.
    Maybe if they tried taking more Steroids they could get quicker and supplement thier increasing size by powering it with EPO. I think I'm on to something here...I think I'm going to go to Medical College and be a Doctor and make this happen!! I'll Be RICH!! Ha Ha Ha!!! :wink:

-Jacques Anquetil
  • downfader
    An associate of my Brother's did steroids for about 6 months. He got absolutely massive, got the roid rage and then, after his wife nagged and nagged, went to the doctor.

It wasnt a pleasant outcome. He's in a wheelchair now, his kidneys have failed, he's at major risk of testicular cancer and he's on breathing apperatus. Sometimes I think its a shame these pro riders dont consider these before doing it. :oops:
  • jerry3571
    sorry about that mate. Not good at all.
    I'm not sure why people bother being a Pro rider. If you make it to the top then you get all the benefits but if you don't make it (the vast majority) then you have a life of hard races. training, strict dieting, taking drugs, being away from your family and friends, low pay and being shouted at all the time by the fat team boss who only likes it when he wins.
    It was more understandable when riders came from a hard life around the mines, heavy industry or farm labour work but I don't know why they still bother. Also, the problems after reitement as "dowmfader" has said about.
    Lets all do Grand Fondos as Lemond has said about on this website; screw the pay and lets just ride bikes. :D

-Jacques Anquetil
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    jerry3571 wrote:
    sorry about that mate. Not good at all.
    I'm not sure why people bother being a Pro rider. If you make it to the top then you get all the benefits but if you don't make it (the vast majority) then you have a life of hard races. training, strict dieting, taking drugs, being away from your family and friends, low pay and being shouted at all the time by the fat team boss who only likes it when he wins.
    It was more understandable when riders came from a hard life around the mines, heavy industry or farm labour work but I don't know why they still bother. Also, the problems after reitement as "dowmfader" has said about.
    Lets all do Grand Fondos as Lemond has said about on this website; screw the pay and lets just ride bikes. :D

Can say the same about lots of jobs!!!!

- people usually do it because they enjoy it
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Parsnip49
    jerry3571 wrote:
    I'm not sure why people bother being a Pro rider.

Im thinking its you who needs the drugs tests tbh...

Are you seriously telling me you wouldnt love getting paid to ride bikes the whole year round???

People doing what they love for a living, why would anyone ever bother doing that.
  • Parsnip49 wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:
    I'm not sure why people bother being a Pro rider.

Are you seriously telling me you wouldnt love getting paid to ride bikes the whole year round???

quote]

In a way I agree with jerry3571. Procycling is an incredibly demanding sport. And before people bang on about other sports, it has to be one of the most physically demanding sports on the planet (Not as tough as it used to be, maybe). The pressure of it must be very tough to handle.

These things spring to mind:

1. Training schedules
    2. Travelling
    3. Racing
    4. Injury/illness prevention
    5. Dealing with the media (if you arelucky enough to be of interest)
    6. Stress of 'making the grade' season after season
    7. Contract renewal

Of course most other sports people have to cope with the above but the bike racing calendar is way above what most other sports require.

I don't think it's quite the 'dream job' people make it out to be.

'Rough Ride' anyone?
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • Parsnip49

1. Training schedules
    2. Travelling
    3. Racing
    7. Contract renewal

1. I know i dont train as much as a pro, it would sure as hell beat doing what i do now though - i enjoy training.
    2. Good thing, i have no real attachments and wouldnt mind spending my time in colorado/spain/wherever
    3. Racing is awesome
    4. Same as anything else you do - getting hurt or ill sucks
    5. 2if you touch my dog again ill cut your head off"
    6. Same as any job, if your shit at it, you get nothing.
    7. Ditto
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Parsnip49 wrote:

1. Training schedules
    2. Travelling
    3. Racing

...6. Same as any job, if your shoot at it, you get nothing.

Unless you are in politics, in which case you get promoted or made a peer
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666