i'm on my second cateye single shot plus. Anybody else?

chrissharp48
chrissharp48 Posts: 22
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi Guys &Girls

I just wanted to see if any of you lovely people have had the same problem as me. i'm now on my second light due to the rails(on the light body)that the bracket slip into have cracked and fallen off the light. This makes the light loose and rattles like hell.

Best of all on my commute home last nite i hit a pot hole and guess wot? you guessed it, CRACK and little part of the rail has come away.( 2nd light)

Cateye did replace it and my lbs were great. The light its self is the best i've ever had and is a top performer.The only thing i can think of is that the light may be a little heavy for the bracket.

If anybody else out there has one of the cateye single shot plus EL 610 please take a look at the rails on the light its self and let us no.

many Thanks Chris...
Back on the perkins fixed for winter 42x16..

Comments

• i must be jinked...
  • I have a single shot so I'll be keeping an eye on it!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I got one recently and it seems fine.. cracking light so far

no pun intended
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I've just bought one and was surprised how flimsy the bracket was considering the weight of the light. I suppose there will be more wear and tear on the bracket and the bit on the light that slides onto the bracket from the constant removal for recharging than there would be on one which doesn't need charging. All the more reason for having a sturdy bracket and connection.
    I too will be keeping an eye on it.
  • It must be a cateye thing - i have a couple of computers that are ok, but the HR10 HRM is rubbish. I got one in Nov 07 that had to be replaced in Apr 08, that I have just had a refund on as thy're fried... last no longer than 6 months before the read out is gobbledeegook.....
  • I have had two cateye lights come off my bike and disentegrate on hitting the road. I won't buy them now unless they have the bracket integrated to the light.

The best light I have had (while not as bright as the cateye's) is the Blackburn Quadrant. It is solidly constructed and has excellent side visibility.Furthermore, it was £19 when I bought it.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...mine is fine, best light I have owned, but I'll watchout for the bracket...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Thanks for the input guys, As i said the lights performance is excellent. i just cant believe i've had two lights go in the same place.

02102008082ri2.th.jpg

this is the second light. the first broke both sides and had more material missing. :cry:
  • It's not how your removing them is it?? I know mine is tight as anything to get off even though I've pressed the release catch in properly.
  • defo not...only had this light off for photo, its not ever had a recharge. at around 250 miles and one pot hole, thats all... :cry:
  • I had exactly the same problem last night! (In the pouring rain too!) Both rails broken, one very seriously so the light is virtually unusable now. I think the light is too heavy for the bracket, not only because it breaks, but because it always tends to tip forward slowly on a long ride, no matter how much I tighten the bracket on the bars. I'll be trying to get a new one under the 2-year warranty as I've only had it for 10 months.
  • Well thats two of use george. Cateye did'nt quibble so that makes me think they may have had a few back.. let me no how you get on..
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Mine suffered from this after it took a little tap fro mthe handle bars of my MTB.

I now have it held onto the bracket using zippy ties, if it breaks further I will jsut need to use Epoxy REsin and accept the fact I am never going ot get into the battery.

Great light crap bracket.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • send it back nwallace.
  • reluctant
    reluctant Posts: 600
    OK here, so far. Had a Singleshot 600 for around a year. Have seen this problem on older Opticubes though , so worth keeping an eye on.
  • nwallace
    Haven't dug out where I bought it from yet, thats the real problem.
    Have a could just now :evil: so perfect time to have only an EL-510 kicking around but that also stops me from being bothered enough to dig stuff out.

Hm Wiggle. that was easy jsut check Amazon style account history.
    Do Zyro do waranties directly?
    Do Nellyphants count?

• nwallace wrote:
    Haven't dug out where I bought it from yet, thats the real problem.
    Have a could just now :evil: so perfect time to have only an EL-510 kicking around but that also stops me from being bothered enough to dig stuff out.

Hm Wiggle. that was easy jsut check Amazon style account history.
    Do Zyro do waranties directly?

I cant see why zero dont..
  • nwallace
    Because I have a contract with Wiggle due to purchasing the item from them, through Consumer Protection law that allows me to claim a replacement to a faulty item within a reasonable period (up to 5 years under Scots law and 6 under English law)

I have no such contract with the Manufacturers Agent which in this case is probably Zyro as they are distributtors of the manufacturers products. They can tell me to speak to Wiggle, Wiggle can't tell me to speak to Zyro. The other issue is proving it is a fault with the product and not down to misuse.

To be honest I am not that fussed, I can concoct something much more robust than Cat Eyes mounting system but right now I am limited to what i can do with juibilee clips or zippy ties because if I do anything to the unit that alters it that is the waranty over, and I would rather avoid that until i have had it a reasoanble amount of time and accept the bulb dying or lense suffering fatigue failure or something being down to age rather than poor workmanship.

Edit: The more I think about returning it because of the shoddy fittings the more I think, but it will jsut happen again. So I think it's better to jsut perservere with alternative fastenings for it as guaranteed I will be doing this until the 2 year waranty is up.
    Do Nellyphants count?

• J4CKO
    J4CKO Posts: 1
    Was searching the net having had mine do the same, heres some pics, decided to register just to register my displeasure !

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Exactly the same thing happened to mine in February, got a replacement, but I've hardly used the replacement since I got it.

I'll probably start using the replacement soon, hopefully it'll last me long enough until I've got enough money for a fenix........
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • So there is problem and i thought it was me...

NEED A NEW LIGHT?, BUYERS BEWARE.....
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Anyone complaining to Cateye should make them aware of this thread.
  • PaulRide
    PaulRide Posts: 122
    I've had two with this problem, and like others above I am hesitant about going back to get a third so, for the time being, I'm using heavy duty elastic bands and a toe-strap to hold it in place.

Evans were good about replacing the first one though. It's a great light but I am shocked that the rails are so crumbly. This light is heavy, and the roads out there are pretty harsh, but that's no excuse for using stilton to make the rails.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    No, but out of sympathy/empathy for your single shot, my cateye 5 LED cheapy threw itself under a car last night :evil: . Miraculously, when reattached with the miracle of duck tape holding it together, it still worked. It then disintegrated on the ride in this morning...

Ho hum, off to Condor I go, perhaps they should have a loyalty card scheme, do they give Tesco clubcard points??!?!?! :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    I had the same thing with an old EL300. I haven't bought a Cateye light since. Nor a USE Exposure after one went t*ts up in heavy rain on the Bryan Chapman memorial a couple of years ago.

I'm a solidlights and fenix man these days, although my old lumicycles from about 8 years ago refuse to die and are still used regularly off road.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I was umming and ahhing (!) between an EL610 plus (got a 510 that's been very good, albeit a bit puny) and a Hope 1 - I think I'll get the near bullet proof Hope - cheaper, stronger, cooler and brighter!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Anybody struggling with the cruddy H-34 might want to look at the H-32 QR bracket, which is a bit more robust and grips the bar better (use H-31 for oversize bars). Unfortunately this won't address the problem with the rails.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Hi Guys &Girls

I just wanted to see if any of you lovely people have had the same problem as me. i'm now on my second light due to the rails(on the light body)that the bracket slip into have cracked and fallen off the light. This makes the light loose and rattles like hell.

Best of all on my commute home last nite i hit a pot hole and guess wot? you guessed it, CRACK and little part of the rail has come away.( 2nd light)

Cateye did replace it and my lbs were great. The light its self is the best i've ever had and is a top performer.The only thing i can think of is that the light may be a little heavy for the bracket.

If anybody else out there has one of the cateye single shot plus EL 610 please take a look at the rails on the light its self and let us no.

many Thanks Chris...

Chris, I set my light to charge today and noticed the rails have cracked at the front, how did you go about contacting cateye??

cheers

Simon I'll look into that bracket as the one you get with it is frankly a bit pony
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Hi Guys &Girls

many Thanks Chris...

Chris, I set my light to charge today and noticed the rails have cracked at the front, how did you go about contacting cateye??

cheers

I just took it back to my lbs and they did the rest..
  • Shakka
    Shakka Posts: 73
    Just wanted to add my name to the list of those suffering with a broken CatEye Single Shot Plus (EL610!?). Exactly the same problem as everyone else, the rails on the underside of the light cracked. Once the rails starts breaking off it'll just get worse, until the unit is no longer securely fastened.

Bought the light through Wiggle, they've offered to replace/refund. Not expecting my replacement to be any better having just read this. May have to think of an alternative.

Shakka