U.S. election

Alain Quay
Alain Quay Posts: 534
edited October 2008 in Campaign
Who do people think will win or deserves to win?

My heart says Obama, my head McCain. Palin worries me, I don't know
why the country that produces so many Nobel prize winners loves
stupid politicians. Her visit to Iraq changed her life, although it transpires
she only went as far as Kuwait. She's dodgy. Mind, Hillary lied about her Iraq trip too.
McCain says 'change is coming (to Washington), but he has been part of the washington establishment for the last 8 years and voted with Bush 9 times out of 10.

As for Obama, his campaign is a bit limp. And who would want to be
president of the U.S. when its economy is such a mess. But I think he's inspiring.
The world is tired of 'America is all that matters' leadership, it's so damn arrogant and
fuels hatred of the US around the world, when it doesn't have to be that way. They need to get serious about climate change and listening to other countries. 40 million born into poverty, no public health service to speak of, etc etc. Lots of reasons to vote Democrat.
Don't turn :arrow: USA.

Comments

• My heart says i don't care and my head says "let's go cycling" :P :D
  • considered stand up?
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Alain Quay wrote:
    Don't turn :arrow: USA.

'Fraid it's a little late for that, Alan! The Democrats have only won three Presidential elections since 1964: the first was in reaction to Watergate and Nixon's disgrace, the second had a viable third party candidate in Perot (who split the Republican vote) and the third had the massive advantage of an incumbent candidate (and a disastrous Republican candidate). And all this at a time when the Republican Party was gradually shifting rightwards.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    According to a female right wing TV presenter (Ann Coulter)

If we took away women's right to vote, we'd never have to worry about another Democrat president. It's kind of a pipe dream, it's a personal fantasy of mine, but I don't think it's going to happen. And it is a good way of making the point that women are voting so stupidly, at least single women.

It also makes the point, it is kind of embarrassing, the Democratic Party ought to be hanging its head in shame, that it has so much difficulty getting men to vote for it. I mean, you do see it's the party of women and 'We'll pay for health care and tuition and day care—and here, what else can we give you, soccer moms?'

Now, if Palin really does get women voting republican, then I don't really think Obama has a chance. Which is a big shame, because he seems like a good guy. OTOH he also seems a tiny bit like Tony Blair, who was good at manipulating the media, but not one of the best PMs the country has ever had.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Greetings from close to the action in the US. The polls are moving pretty steadily to Obama now. As for why he is not farther ahead, remember that 28% of Americans think Bush is doing a good job. I personally don't know any of these folks, but there you are. Add to that the percentage who will not vote for a black man under any circumstances, and you are probably close to McCain's numbers. Palin is tanking. Her unfavorables are the highest of the four. She has cemented the Bush crowd for McCain but that is all.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Greetings from close to the action in the US. The polls are moving pretty steadily to Obama now. As for why he is not farther ahead, remember that 28% of Americans think Bush is doing a good job. I personally don't know any of these folks, but there you are. Add to that the percentage who will not vote for a black man under any circumstances, and you are probably close to McCain's numbers. Palin is tanking. Her unfavorables are the highest of the four. She has cemented the Bush crowd for McCain but that is all.

Can we have the highlighted bit in English please?

If Palin has cemented the Bush Crowd for McCain, then by your earlier figures, that is 28% of the electorate she has won for McCain- I'd suggest that was good going for a running mate
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    [
    Her unfavorables are the highest of the four.

Sounds a bit painful to me
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • Sorry. Pollsters here ask whether a candidate is viewed favorably or unfavorably by those they query. Bush is viewed favorably by 28%, unfavorably by the rest, which is a (bad) record for US Presidents. Palin's initial numbers were quite high; lots of people (60% or more) had a favorable first impression of her. Now, as they get to see her and her record, her unfavorable numbers are higher than her favorable ones. She has lost 17 points or so in her favorable rating.

And I do not think Palin is responsible for the Bush 28% supporting McCain; if they like Bush there is no way they would support Obama. Rather, I think Palin, due to her perky nature and physical attractiveness, has made them feel better about supporting McCain. I hate to say it but I think the only reason this election is close is Obama's race.
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Mc Cain? I automatically think of oven chips!
    Palin - Would be better with Michael, not Sarah!
    Obama and 'Yes, we can." - does Bob the Builder lnow that he stole his lyrics?
    Obama Biden? Sound a bit like Osama bin Laden; now if he was paired with the Dalai Lama, we could have Obama-Lama
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    .......remember that 28% of Americans think Bush is doing a good job.

Gordon Brown would kill for such a high figure!

History says Obama will win.

Bob
  • And don't forget, Obama is a Muslim too. No, really!

Well, that's what a LOT of Americans think, and you don't see the journalists interviewing these halfwits actually correcting them, which in turn only confirms for the viewer who may think they're being informed. Is it just me, or are Obamas lips a shade blue? Isn't that right that this is an indicator of heart disease or serious circulation probs?

As for McCain, I really hate that beatific smile he gives out whilst waiting for someone to feed him the next line of his speech, which from what we inthe UK see always seems to involve references to Christian values and his war record.

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Politics in America affect people as religion do - there is a fixed belief system for which people will suffer all sorts of hardship and indeed indulge in self (financial) flagellation.

Enough to say that the Europeans (what with their decent holiday entitlement, comprehensive health care, pensions and benefits the likes of which Americans can only dream of) are scoffed at for their better lives.

In the last 30 years we have seen the ascent of the right and rich republicans looking after only rich republicans. Kick the rest in the teeth enough and maybe the worms will turn. There are few signs of that: Americans are a highly conditioned and subjugated people, who are fed suspicion about the rest of the world - remember that half the population here in the US believe only the rich in the rest of the world have electricity and flushing toilets (remember that many Americans need instructions to use these).

McCain is dangerous in that he is out of touch and will only make things much, much worse for all (the world). Palin has those rabidly right wing views which will alienate the world still further from the US, she's stupid and now she's been found to be abusing power, so she fits right in the with republicans. This election is more important than anyone sees or believes.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    mr_hippo wrote:
    Mc Cain? I automatically think of oven chips!
    Palin - Would be better with Michael, not Sarah!
    Obama and 'Yes, we can." - does Bob the Builder lnow that he stole his lyrics?
    Obama Biden? Sound a bit like Osama bin Laden; now if he was paired with the Dalai Lama, we could have Obama-Lama

And if they were elected and the bells rang out at the Inauguration, would it be an Obama-Lama-dingdong?
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Americans scare me. Far too right wing and far too hung up on religion, which combined is invariably a recipe for disaster. To say they think they have the mantle/right of policing the free world - if a country in Africa showed some of their tendencies, the B52's would be flying out of Fairford.

A shame Bill Clinton could not avoid the scandals/keep his trousers up, he could have done so much more...
  • Jez mon
    Toshmund wrote:
    Americans scare me. Far too right wing and far too hung up on religion, which combined is invariably a recipe for disaster. To say they think they have the mantle/right of policing the free world - if a country in Africa showed some of their tendencies, the B52's would be flying out of Fairford.

A shame Bill Clinton could not avoid the scandals/keep his trousers up, he could have done so much more...

Only some Americans are like this, however, with their shocking views, they get a disproportionate amount of airtime. America is a huge country, that means if 5% are nutters, we have a huge number of nutters on our hands! However, it doesn't mean that all Americans are nutters.

What extra could Clinton have achieved, he had his two turns at the job.
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Reference the Clinton comment at the end. Personally, I think he kind of damaged his credibility, with all the shenanigans going on behind the scenes/underneath the table...Just gave the Republicans ammunition to detract from his original argument. Superb You.tube interview, of him ripping into some Fox Network interviewer about the CIA/his administration's intention of dealing with Bin Laden years ago.
  • As one of the crazy Americans, thanks for the moderate tone in this thread. Only 25% of Americans think Bush is doing a good job (and I cannot for the life of me explain the 25%), so most of us are disgusted by the preemptive war, torture, etc. It looks like Obama is on his way to a landslide win, so I think America will look very different to the world quite soon. I certainly hope so.
  • pliptrot
    After 8 calamitous years 25% of the population think Bush is doing a good job and something approaching 50% may vote for more of the same (although the current candidates on the republican ticket are emboldened and are framing their rhetoric in ever more apocalyptic and religious terms) - that should be a cause of great concern for every sentient member of the world community.
  • Jez mon
    pliptrot wrote:
    After 8 calamitous years 25% of the population think Bush is doing a good job and something approaching 50% may vote for more of the same (although the current candidates on the republican ticket are emboldened and are framing their rhetoric in ever more apocalyptic and religious terms) - that should be a cause of great concern for every sentient member of the world community.

Depends, America's status as a world power is declining rapidly and what they think as a country matters less and less.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Jez mon wrote:
    pliptrot wrote:

Depends, America's status as a world power is declining rapidly and what they think as a country matters less and less.

I think that maybe people here in the states are getting tired of our government getting involved in this and that conflict in one way or another. Off to war over there and some
    petty dictator some other place. I'm actually kind of torn about the U.S. being the, so
    called, world's policeman. Part of me says yes. Get over there and set these poor unfortunate people free from these despicable warlords and Hitler like dictators. Doesn't everybody deserve a better life? Or, other times I think we should be more like the Swiss.
    I tend to lean towards getting rid of the vermin but that has it's problems too. It does look to be a Obama win in a few weeks but you never know.

Dennis Noward
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    pliptrot wrote:

Wow, 25%. That compares favourably with the 24% of the voting public who actually cast their mandate for the UK's labour party at the last general election.

Bob
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Famous American phrase - ex Forest Gump - "stupid is as stupid does" enough said

Great country, great service, daft people.
  • pliptrot
    The service ain't that good anymore, I can promise you.