Overtraining

damage36
damage36 Posts: 282
What are the signs of overtraining?

From what I have heard its a bit different for everyone but there must be some common physiological symptoms. Sometimes, after a good weeks riding my legs feel a bit sleepy during the day at work. They seem alright on the bike, but a bit tired in the day time (such that stretching them gives that wake-up stretch feel).
Perhaps I should also look at my training schedule which sometimes is very little followed by a big ride, or consecutive days.
Any general thoughts or more specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

DMG
Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comments

• damage36 wrote:
    What are the signs of overtraining?

From what I have heard its a bit different for everyone but there must be some common physiological symptoms. Sometimes, after a good weeks riding my legs feel a bit sleepy during the day at work. They seem alright on the bike, but a bit tired in the day time (such that stretching them gives that wake-up stretch feel).
    Perhaps I should also look at my training schedule which sometimes is very little followed by a big ride, or consecutive days.
    Any general thoughts or more specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

DMG

I presume that you commute on your bike...Do you do desk work? That would explain needing a stretch to wake your legs up. I think with overtraining the effects would be felt mostly on the bike....such as struggling up a hill that is usually no problem...an effect like you are in a race but have gone out too fast and have nothing left in the tank for extra efforts.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Some 'classic' signs

1. Elevated resting heart rate first thing in the morning
    2. Poor sleep patterns
    3. Reoccurance of viruses regularly
    4. Poor concentration
    5. Diminishing returns on training i.e performance getting worse although you perceive your training is of greater volume/intensity
    6. Demotivation

Not sure if this helps you, though :wink:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I think you will know...

other signs of physical stress

dark p1ss

trembling hands first thing in the morning

inability to focus your eyes

etc

etc
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I think you will know...

other signs of physical stress

dark p1ss

trembling hands first thing in the morning

inability to focus your eyes

etc

etc
    Too much Guiness, surely :wink:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity