Basingstoke Canal path feedback?

Tranced
Tranced Posts: 165
edited October 2008 in MTB rides
Had a brief peek... 2M along the canal path last weekend. Considdering giving it a bash this weekend. Riding Odiham towards Farnborough direction.
Anyone done this?
What's it like?
Feedback?
Embrace cynicism…. see the bigger picture!!!!

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I used to live in fleet so I know it well - and I used to ride up and down that stretch a fair bit, it's a top ride really, the path is wide and well maintained and there are pubs en route... what more can you ask for

there is also the potential for a road ride on the return route if you fancy it.

make sure there are no fishing matches !!! the maggot drowners used to accuse me and my brother of scaring the fish....
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Tranced
    Thanks Ed.
    Since you know the area, perhaps you could answer this one for me.
    SW of Farnborough is that huge mil testing area.
    There seems to be a sign saying entry is allowed unless testing is taking place. I've seen people riding in there, others have said no-no.
    Any idea?
  • Hi Tranced

The canal is good (it's flat) and the paths ok but it is crowded in good weather so, it's ok if you don't mind stop/start.

The military areas are good for riding - loads of firetrack. Also loads of singletrack but a bit more difficult to find.

Depends on what you wanting to do really.

Mike
  • Tranced
    Thanks for the info. Going to give it a bash tomorrow.
    Cheers.
  • edhornby wrote:
    I maggot drowners

:lol: funny as!!! :lol:
  • I used to work in ash, and quite often used to ride home along the canal from ash vale to farnborough. That particular stretch is narrow in parts and somewhat overgrown, and even in the evening there are stroppy fisherman (maggot drowners, love it, :lol:) and joggers to deal with. The stretch that runs behind farnborough airport is wider but can get quite sloppy after the smallest of rain showers.
  • Tranced
    Well I headed out on Sunday pm to do this.
    Rode from Odiham to Ash (15M) then turned arouned. This allowed for a bit of play in the MOD area next to Farnborough.
    Bearing in mind... lovely day, Sunday afternoon.... it was a little busy. Nothing serious though & dispite slowing or stopping for the walkers (especially when close to village area e.g. 1.5M either side) we still wondered along at ave 14mph.
    I recon it would/ could be horribly muddy after a little rain.
    That said, absolutely beautiful ride. Easy all the way and very relaxing. Hidden gem.
    Went back today & did Odiham to Up Nately. Even found the collapsed west side of the tunnel. Look out for the bull...
    A lot trickier, not nearly as defined path, muddy & carry sections, but loads of fun none the less. Some overgrown sections (nettles) but wow, water is unbelievably clear to the bottom. Mr Livingston stuff.
    I wouldn't do this side with newbies or unfit. Only about 10M but phew.
    I do want to explore this area more. Runs along edge of Greywell estate which has "walkers only" signs up, but there are some slushy bridleways to follow. Horses really turn the ground to mush.