RIBBLE CYCLES

2»

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Ordered groupset, wheels, tyres etc from them Tuesday night and forgot to change the delivery address to work. Phoned them Wednesday morning first thing and asked if I could change it, was told it'd be okay as the order hadn't been printed off yet. Goods still turned up this morning at home address, luckily my wife had changed her plans - was originally going out this morning. Admit it was originally my fault for not requesting work address on order, but after being told it had been changed I would've expected it to have been.

So fast delivery :) , but wrong place :evil: , just got to wait and see if it's all there and correct!
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • pedalrog
    pedalrog Posts: 633
    I have had trouble with Ribble too, in the distant past. Afraid this is what you get when trying to save a few bob. Use your lbs, they won't be there when you need them because they will have been forced out of business by mail order companies.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Some yyears ago I used Ribble - Once was enough

I ordered a top of the range Giro helmet (Atmos when they first came out) the first day one of the straps came away from the helmet, So I returned it to Ribble.

They sent it back saying that it was "fair wear and tear". Unhappy about his I sent it back again rejecting the goods a "unfit for purpose and not of merchantable quality" to have it returned a second time with a statemant that it was "fair wear and tear" and a refusal to discuss it further

So I got n independent assessment from a local bike shop as to the quality of the goods and went to the small claims court asking for a refund with costs - which I duly received.

Have never used them since!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Slow Downcp
    In fairness to Ribble, all of the stuff was there when I got home. If I'd put my work address on the order to start with it probably would have been deivered where I'd wanted it to be, so I'd be happy to use them again.

I accept what people say about keeping my LBS alive, but it would have cost around £1,400 instead of just under £1,000.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    pedalrog wrote:
    I have had trouble with Ribble too, in the distant past. Afraid this is what you get when trying to save a few bob. Use your lbs, they won't be there when you need them because they will have been forced out of business by mail order companies.

id happily use my LBS but for the fact theyre robbing fuppers and dont stock campag :(
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • pedalrog
    id happily use my LBS but for the fact theyre robbing fuppers and dont stock campag

That's fair comment, luckily my lbs, Fred WIlliams in Wolverhampton is excellent.
  • Slow Downcp
    pedalrog wrote:
    id happily use my LBS but for the fact theyre robbing fuppers and dont stock campag

That's fair comment, luckily my lbs, Fred WIlliams in Wolverhampton is excellent.

That's also my LBS - unfortunately still not competitve against Ribble. :(
  • Bought a Ribble SC10 frame 4 years ago, the seat tube broke in 2 recently
    so I contacted RIBBLE to ask how long it should last. They seemed to think that
    4 years was really good for a thin aluminium frame.
    I suggested they might like to put a mileage on their frames as an indication of longevity and recieved this in return,

'We cannot put a mileage on a frame as this is like a car manufacturer saying if you buy this new car it will definitely break down within 2 years! Such things are simply not known, all I can comment on is what the frames are designed for. Bear in mind that the SC61 frames were used by Pro teams who get to chuck them away after little use! I would recommend if you are looking for a frame to last years you would definitely need to look at as mentioned previously steel/titanium framesets. Lightweight aluminium is not suitable for you.'

Please note if you want a frame to last years don't buy SC61 from Ribble :(
  • bobbinhead wrote:
    Bought a Ribble SC10 frame 4 years ago, the seat tube broke in 2 recently
    so I contacted RIBBLE to ask how long it should last. They seemed to think that
    4 years was really good for a thin aluminium frame
    .:(

so does everyone else. Why would you think a frame made out of aluminium where the tubing is not much thicker than an aluminium can of Coke would last you years and years?
    You can have longetivity or you can have leightweight, not both.
    Next you'll be telling me that sub 1kg carbon frames should last for years and years without any fault. :lol:

If they're suggesting Ti or steel then it sounds like they've given you some really sound advice.

years and years ago we all used to dream of a steel frame built out of Columbus EL O/S or maybe Reynolds 753 but whilst they were great and leightweight they weren't as durable as 531 or Columbus TSX/SLX/Max tubed frames. This is not a new problem
  • i ordered some handbuilt wheels from them, they arrived 2 days later and theyre ace!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    hmmm, their current lightweight Alu frames are advertised as having "exceptional reliability", whilst this is ambiguous, it would raise the buyers expectations of longevity. I have heard that Ribble are pretty resistive to any warranty / returns, it may be telling that on their site (unlike most other shops that give full details) they merely say "If you have any questions regarding our returns procedure please call our telephone sales staff on 01772 336800". They say nothing on their site about warranties as far as I can see. Doesn't inspire confidence, and having phoned their sales line once to spend £1k on a bike and found them rude even when trying to give them money, I wouldn't expect any better if I subsequently had a problem.
  • never used them but used wiggle, CR and Pedal On (for the first time) all been excellent bought my dad a Focus x bike for his 70th and on his second ride his rear DR fell off and bent contacted Wiggle and sent it back and they just sent a new one no questions huff or puff. CR stuff always arrives virtually next day and I used Pedal On the other day and same as next but one day and emails telling me it had been shipped.
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • Ordered a jacket wednesday lunchtime from Ribble and it arrived friday morning - top service at a great price :D
  • I ordered a carbon frame from them plus a headset a few weeks back and I also e-mailed them a few compatibilty questions - they responded promptly to the email and my order arrived quickly - it was good value, well-packed and undamaged. I wouldn't hesitate in using them again.
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    @ least their prices don't appear to have gone up in the sales like an Irish company
    Justice for the 96
  • onthefells
    onthefells Posts: 157
    called them numerous times the last 3 days and phone constantly engaged. sent an e-mail 3 days ago and no reply. the only reason i've persisted is they are the lowest price but what sue is that if you can't get through?
  • pedalrog
    It is no use. The lowest price isn't always the best deal. If this is what you get before ordering, what's the service like if you have a problem, when they've got your money?
  • dunmowpeddler
    dunmowpeddler Posts: 5
    edited July 2009
    Here's my story. I decided to order a proper bike stand at long last in anticipation of doing a thorough service and clean up on our bike fleet. I decide to go for a Bike Tool aluminium stand at Ribble priced at £56.65, which seemd like very good value. This is what happened:
    - Ordered on 7 May
    - Received on 12 May
    - On opening the stand I found that the main plastic locking collar had a split all the way through, rendering the stand totally useless
    - I sent an email of complaint, but no reply
    - I tried phoning for several days afterwards at different times of the day, but the line was either not picked up or engaged...or it was just cut off
    - As I could never get a response I sent the stand back on 14 May
    - Eventually I received a reply by email from Ribble on 18 May: " We cannot possibly open up all workstands and inspect them as I am sure you can understand otherwise we would never get half the parcels shipped. This being said I am sorry to hear of this fault with the workstand and for us not being able to respond to your email until now. If you have not already returned the faulty part if you just return this piece I am more than happy to send a replacement out to you." I can understand what they are saying, but the response was very slow in coming
    - I asked for a refund on the 18 May
    - As I heard nothing I chased again
    - On 26 May Ribble got in contact and agreed to refund my return postage
    - On 27 May Ribble agreed to refund me
    - On 5 June Ribble eventually credited my credit card account
    So all in all this whole episode took a month to resolve. :cry:
    After that I placed an order with Wiggle for a Spin Doctor stand. It arrived super quick and I am absolutely delighted with it. :D Great quality and a good design. I haven't had a problem with Wiggle yet, always a great web experience and superb customer service. I get the impression that Ribble price low and can't cope with the demand/or don't facilitise for good customer service. After this I will be a bit nervous about using Ribble again, but I do know peole who rate them and their bikes. Take your choice.

- [/list]
  • JAGGY
    JAGGY Posts: 167
    Hello

I use Ribble regularly for my road kit. Never had a problem with them.

I've had an 7005 ALU frame since 1998 and have just made it into a winter bike as i have a Ribble carbon. No frame issues ever. Paint is still good.

My new Carbon sportive is one hell of a good buy. The frame quality is superb. What a nice comfy handling bike. When i ordered it i forgot to add a stem and headset and spacers for them to build up for me ready. One phone call and the bits were added to the order etc. The guy even emailed on the build to see how i wanted my headset spacers arranging. My sportive frame was a month delayed but i was notified via email. It was defo worth the wait.

The last order i have made. The compression tights were the wrong fit. My fault for ordering the wrong size. I sent them back and two days later the new pair had came.

I have had great service in the 11 years i have used Ribble and will continue to use them.

Cheers