How to fit rear panniers to a frame without eyelets

_Matt_
_Matt_ Posts: 56
edited October 2008 in The workshop
Hi all,

I bought a Focus Cross Expert (2008) a few months ago and love it. However, it doesn't have any seatstay eyelets to fit panniers. I did know this at the time but I'm convinced there's a solution... I just can't find the 'best' option.

The seatstay is 19.4mm diameter and I have a TorTec Expedition Alloy Rear Rack and some Altura Fusion 40 Rear Panniers.

I've been told P-Clips but I've read in other posts that these aren't really all that great.

Could someone please offer some advice as to the best way to get these on my bike.

Focus Cross Expert 2008

Comments

• I would have thought that some form of P-clip was your best bet to be honest. Combined with ample protective used inner tube.

I've had great results using zip ties, but only for mudguards. Additionally, its a pain to take them off, given that some are quite tricky to thread.

Have you thought about something like this?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Topea ... 360017390/

Bit limiting in terms of loading, but better than nothing and certainly enough for a week's worth of shirts and lunch.
  • Thanks for you reply. :)

I had thought about the Top Peak rack but I thought it might limit me to the amount I could carry. I use a rucksack at the moment and the rack with bags could only carry around the same amount. The only problem with a rucksack is that it doesn't let your back breathe :(

Looks like P-Clips are the way forward.
    Focus Cross Expert 2008
  • Definitely go for the P-Clips - pop to your LBS - or maybe ring them first to see if they have any depending on how local they are!

If you're met with blank stares, ask if there is a bike mechanic about - they will know what a p-clip is.

Also, a website recommended on here sells them, but you will have to get your own bolts.

here's the link http://www.stagonset.co.uk

Or, I managet to get some with bolts but in limited sizes from http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/

Try to work out what size you need before buying. The stated size is for the closed clip.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,604
    I use this on my Carbon rear stayed Marin, and I think it's way better than P clips.

If you cast your eye over the bike, doesn't look like anything has been added on.

mpart%20spt102.jpg
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/MPart_Single_Bolt_Seat_Post_Clamp_With_Rack_Mount/5300005198/

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I got these (Tubus Clamp Set) and they seem rock solid even with a heavy laptop, lunch and assorted junk in the pannier.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    h i r 0 wrote:
    I got these (Tubus Clamp Set) and they seem rock solid even with a heavy laptop, lunch and assorted junk in the pannier.

Look interesting but what part of the frame do you measure for the dimensions? How many sets do you need per rack?
    Steve C
  • sc999cs
    Daniel B wrote:
    I use this on my Carbon rear stayed Marin, and I think it's way better than P clips.

If you cast your eye over the bike, doesn't look like anything has been added on.

mpart%20spt102.jpg
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/MPart_Single_Bolt_Seat_Post_Clamp_With_Rack_Mount/5300005198/

Cheers

Dan

This also looks good, but it mentions four point rear carriers. Two points I imagine are on the clamp. Where do the other two go?
    Steve C
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    sc999cs wrote:
    This also looks good, but it mentions four point rear carriers. Two points I imagine are on the clamp. Where do the other two go?
    I presume the other two points are at the rear dropout mountings
  • sc999cs
    alfablue wrote:
    sc999cs wrote:

Unfortunately my bike doesn't have any braze ons on the rear drop outs so I've decided to go with a beam rack.
    Steve C
  • alfablue
    sc999cs wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    sc999cs wrote:

Unfortunately my bike doesn't have any braze ons on the rear drop outs so I've decided to go with a beam rack.
    Mine didn't either, so I got a Tubus quick release fitting, replaces your QR skewer and adds eyelets - incredibly robust, adds a few seconds to wheel removal.

product-6835088.jpg

Failing that, good quality P clips (stagonset) will work fine fitted just above the dropouts.

I personally wouldn't want to use a beam rack, very limited in terms of load, bags can swing, rack can swivel round, horrid IMHO.
  • alfablue
    Tubus also do a super strong upper mounting, like a posh P-clip

Adpt%20No%204.jpg
  • sc999cs
    alfablue wrote:
    sc999cs wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    sc999cs wrote:

Mine didn't either, so I got a Tubus quick release fitting, replaces your QR skewer and adds eyelets - incredibly robust, adds a few seconds to wheel removal.

product-6835088.jpg

Failing that, good quality P clips (stagonset) will work fine fitted just above the dropouts.

I personally wouldn't want to use a beam rack, very limited in terms of load, bags can swing, rack can swivel round, horrid IMHO.

I did see these but it mentions compatibility with only Tubus racks. Can it be used with other manufacturers' racks as well?
    Steve C
  • alfablue
    I can't see why they wouldn't work with non-tubus racks - Tubus have two bolt holes at the bottom of the rack to it fits the two holes on the adapter, however if you use only one hole the rack is still not going to move anywhere because it is held at the top. I reckon it would work - if you try it and it doesn't work you should be able to return it if you are careful not to mark the item.