Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Bike service set me back £140 for the service plus new pads, rear cassette and chain.

Once autumn arrives properly I'll have to cough up for a new jacket (my Altura's stopped being waterproof after 2 years riding, last winter killed it off) and new gloves. I've lost my decent front light in our recent house move so it looks like I need a new one of those too :(
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • I've gone a bit mad in the last couple of weeks :oops:

I bought the Ay Up MTB lights, a new waterproof jacket, new waterproof gloves and waterproof socks.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Bike service set me back £140 for the service plus new pads, rear cassette and chain.

Once autumn arrives properly I'll have to cough up for a new jacket (my Altura's stopped being waterproof after 2 years riding, last winter killed it off) and new gloves. I've lost my decent front light in our recent house move so it looks like I need a new one of those too :(

Get thee to an outdoor shop softlad. Ask for the Waterproofing treatments. I would suggest washing in TechWash and then treating it. I've got an old goretex outdoor jacket that has been going strong for 10 years with regular treatment.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • I've just got some baggy 3/4lengths, a hi-vis gilet and a jersey...
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I've just got some baggy 3/4lengths, a hi-vis gilet and a jersey...

In light of recent developments, you might also consider one of these http://homeproductsales.com/B0006DVNT8/M/B0006DVNT8.htm

(Slightly strangely, it priced in £'s.....)
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Enigma Etape Frame and Forks, Enigma Headset, bars, stem, bottles and Seat Pin, Arione saddle, fizik tape, Kysrium Eiltes, Conti GP4000's, SKS guards, Centaur Groupset (but Chorus shifters), Look Keo's, Giro Ionos Helmet, Tacx Tao cages. All ordered Tuesday - everything here except Enigma kit due next week. Just need to put it all together :D

Many thanks to HMRC for paying for 50% of this through our cycle to work scheme 8)
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • always_tyred
    Many thanks to HMRC for paying for 50% of this through our cycle to work scheme 8)
    Did you order it online from the US?
  • Slow Downcp

No - Why?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • I've just got some baggy 3/4lengths, a hi-vis gilet and a jersey...

In light of recent developments, you might also consider one of these http://homeproductsales.com/B0006DVNT8/M/B0006DVNT8.htm

(Slightly strangely, it priced in £'s.....)

:lol:
  • always_tyred

No - Why?

You've just confirmed everything I fear when I'm pulled aside at the airport customs for a cavity search..... :)
  • Slow Downcp

No - Why?

You've just confirmed everything I fear when I'm pulled aside at the airport customs for a cavity search..... :)

??Sorry, you've lost me? :?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    AndyManc wrote:
    I've always fancied a bar bag, in fact I do have a couple of cheap ones that I bought from Lidl , I'll just have to buy an extension bar for my lights and computer :? ...

Right ... were's my crdit card . :roll:

Ah I bought those cheapies from Lidl or Aldi or whatever it was, they were only £4 each IIRC!

The mainstream one comes highly recommended, and is meant to be fully waterproof, plus a big map pocket - they have one left if you want one, free postage as well I think.

The altura comes with a rain cover and a little plastic raised bar bit that means you can mount your puter on it.

However lights will be an issue with both, might need to look at fork mounting possibilities.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • always_tyred

No - Why?

??Sorry, you've lost me? :?
    Just a customs-related joke - HMRC. I'll get my coat,
  • Slow Downcp
    [

??Sorry, you've lost me? :?[/quote]Just a customs-related joke - HMRC[/quote]

Still lost :? - Oh well, it's Friday and been a long week so most things are going above my head at the moment, that's my excuse :wink:
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    A lovely new flashing front light (yes I am a light slut!) its a Knog Gekko

gekofrontt.jpg
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    I`ve had a bit of a splash out too, got some of those DXB Rohills as 1st post, some DHB udershorts, MTB Altura overshoes, some altura long fingered gloves for the MTB and some more batteries for my back light that I left on by mistake :cry:
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Tyres/tubes for the Sirrus
    Gloves, shoes from Wiggle, cheapy DHB ones mind
    Manky 531 got a nice new made-this-century sora rear mech, but I've not fitted it yet, so the bent Shimano 600EX from 1988 is still rattling on...
    Toestraps. Grease.

That's the last month taken care of...cycling's supposed to be a cheap alternative to the tube, dear?!?!??!!? :oops:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Greg T wrote:
    I've no idea why Schwalbe Marathon Plus have such a strong tread pattern - no idea at all.

If I had a spare three hours (for it takes that long) I'd pop on my gatorskins and compare and contrast their running characteristics.

GT

I can save you the bother - better, having switched from SMP to Gators

Mind you, new wheels at the same time... :roll:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I have a few things to report from this afternoon...

Marathon Pluses are the hardest tyres I can ever recall trying to install! The rubbery protection unit works against you while trying to put the beading in place. I am not looking forward to when the puncture fairy arrives and I have to swap innertubes out on the road.

There was definitely a sense of extra cushioning, running at my normal pressures of 110/100 psi.

Bike felt a little more sluggish on the flat and uphill, from the extra weight (~380g per tyre), but its liveable.

Chalk Hill (between Bitterne and West End) is an evil hill to ascend! Just made it up in one hit using my weakest gear (36-23).

I might have to use said hill as a whistle test for hill climbing and aerobic fitness!!

P.S. Oh yeah, I was thinking about the tread thing while typing my earlier post and meant to write something about the old wives' tale about the tread helping in the wet (think I read something at Sheldon's site about the unlikelyhood of aqua-planing on a bike) ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    edited October 2008
    Well this week, so far

Miche BB, Chain, 14 & 15T sprockets + carrier
    Rear wheel rebuild with Miche track hub
    PBK Ireland cycle top
    PBK wrap around glasses
    Campagnolo black polo shirt
    Park tools big (not big) blue book

and finally

A cheapo wireless cycle computer - solar powered WTF!!!

But then I am planning on visiting the Cycle 2008 show this weekend so no doubt more toys will follow.

Edit - just found another bag of recent purchases

Polaris 3/4 tights
    Pearl IQ padded shorts
    Axle bearings
    Northwave cycle top - Red
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    FSA Gossamer Compact Chainset
    Castelli unpadded bib tights

And I'm supposed to be a poor student.....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • always_tyred
    FSA Gossamer Compact Chainset
    Castelli unpadded bib tights

And I'm supposed to be a poor student.....

I hate to break the news to you bud, but you have more disposable income, less ties, better working hours and more holiday as a student than for the rest of your life.

Enjoy.
  • Notnormal
    Notnormal Posts: 132
    Treated myself to some DHB merston bib tights from wiggle, felt a bit of an idiot in them but really are comfortable and warm on the early morning start. Also got an Exposure joystick maxx2 light. Really not cheap but an awesome light. Some of my commute it on unlit country roads so felt I could justify the expense to myself!!!! Can't recommend the light highly enough, seriously bright.
  • always_tyred
    Notnormal wrote:
    Treated myself to some DHB merston bib tights from wiggle, felt a bit of an idiot in them but really are comfortable and warm on the early morning start. Also got an Exposure joystick maxx2 light. Really not cheap but an awesome light. Some of my commute it on unlit country roads so felt I could justify the expense to myself!!!! Can't recommend the light highly enough, seriously bright.

They don't look as silly if you put the shoulder straps underneath your jersey. :D
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Why isn't this thread sticky, anyhow

Just bought two lockblocks from Glogadgets for the Tesco 3W torch option.

Also from Wiggle

Set of lovely Ronhill Bikesters with DXB
    ronhill%20pro%20bikester%20dxb.jpg

Set of Cane Creek egro Control II bar ends for that bloody hill and because it's always nice to have another hand position.
    canecreek%20ergo%20control%202.jpg

Finally a set of glasses. These are because I have been using my clear Bolle safety glasses from work and they don't help with the sun in my face of a morning plus I do not believe that there is any UV filtration in the work glasses.

dhb-triple-logo-med.jpg
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • John_E
    John_E Posts: 18
    enjoying this thread as means its not just me that keeps spending money. Would be useful to see what the most feable excuses have been for buying new shiny things. My recent purchases:

Set of RS10 wheels (reason - old wheels weren't very strong and kept breaking spokes so I feel a legitimate purchase)
    Half a ton of lube (Reason - its winter, things will get wet, it was on offer)
    Two of those 3W Tesco lights everyone else is getting (reason - because everyone else as getting them)
    Twofish brackets to hold said lights
    New pedals (reason - none, just saw them on offer)

Trying to come up with legitimate excuse to convert my hard tail mountain bike to a commuter as I don't use it for mountain biking any more (back complains too much these days). Why do I need two commuter bikes, best excuse so far is as a spare in case the other breaks down. (real reason, mtb has disk brakes on it which look cool!, see I'm honest, mock me if you like). If can convince myself then I'll be needing

26inch slicks
    Flat bars
    Bar ends
    Rigid forks
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Campag peanut butter spanner
    rim tape (I'm pretty rough so it's only fair and decent)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Ordered a pair of Witches Britches from Ground Effect last night.

And I'm going to Condor tonight to, er, look at the Catlike helmets that I so admired at the Cycle show.
  • kr1s
    kr1s Posts: 125
    Ultegra 10 speed chain chain

Local shop £25
    Wiggle £13.94 delivered to me at my desk !!!

Mmmmmmmmm :D
    Trek Madone 5.2 08
    Specialized Tricross
    Scott Scale
    Twitter @ChrisBedford1
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Ordered a pair of Witches Britches from Ground Effect last night.

And I'm going to Condor tonight to, er, look at the Catlike helmets that I so admired at the Cycle show.

say you're a new member of the CDC (is it?) and you'll get 10% clothing discount 8)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14