Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

AndyManc
AndyManc Posts: 1,393
edited October 2019 in Commuting chat
From Wiggle I've just ordered .........

ronhill%20pro%20bikester%20dxb.jpg

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Ronhill_Pro_Bikester_DXB_Tights_w~o_Pad/5360009426/

My second pair of these .......

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Ronhill_Bikesters_Tights_w~o_Pad/5360009181/

Never tried this ..................

assos-chamois-cream-main.jpg

and these to take the total over £50 so I can get my 10% discount :)

ber-ends.jpg
Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
URBAN_MANC.png

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Um, new Bontrager bar tape?
  • biondino wrote:
    Um, new Bontrager bar tape?

Ive a funny feeling you could be on this thread quite a lot! (going by recent history)
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • biondino
    I think I've shot my bolt with all that purchasing tbh!
  • I'm in serious need of some spending if I'm to brave a winter commute - my fingers (in mitts) were welded to the handlebars this morning. Problem is Mrs TCS has just given up work to be a full time student and I've blown what cash I had getting my new toy services... I'm confined to the self-torture that is internet based window shopping :roll:
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    6 weeks ago I hadn't been on a bike for 20 years.

I now have three bikes, and a variety of locks, lights, computers, pumps, toolkits, shorts, helmets, gloves, tops, jackets, reflectives etc etc.

I win.

:lol:
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jen J wrote:
    6 weeks ago I hadn't been on a bike for 20 years.

I now have three bikes, and a variety of locks, lights, computers, pumps, toolkits, shorts, helmets, gloves, tops, jackets, reflectives etc etc.

I win.

:lol:
    :shock: So your GT Avalanche has 20 years of dust on it!!

Cycling gear is a bit like those pringle crisps - you always want more
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Nope - about a weeks worth. They're all new purchases.

The GT has only done a couple of miles, as within the first half mile someone walked in front of me without looking, I slammed on the (disc) brakes, and went flying over the top.

Only had cuts and bruises, but one cut got infected and I nearly spent the weekend in hospital.

I haven't been near the bike since...

:cry:
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I haven't bought anything new for a whole week!

That's a record for the last six months.

If I add up all I've spent on "saving fuel costs" over the last few months though I am quite sure I am SERIOUSLY out of pocket - two bikes, (one work one play), all the winter kit etcetc

Think my cycling cost per mile is pounds and pounds....
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Bought my bike off ebay £132 (Specialized Hardrock XC) :D
    Bought cycling gear £145 (Wiiggle account opened) :D

Commuter miles to breakeven = 2108
    Commuter days to breakeven = 84 :D

Commuter days to date =0 :oops:

Days to redundancy=55 :shock:

(to be fair I have done 57 non commuter miles to try and get a bit fitter - 57 miles more than the wife thought I'd do)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965

(to be fair I have done 57 non commuter miles to try and get a bit fitter - 57 miles more than the wife thought I'd do)

If you get a job a little over 200 miles from your house, you'll have justified the cost in a week! :P

(Been there, btw, and my bottom lip still bears the scars from scraping along the ground. :( )
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017

thats easy just up the length of your commute by 13.32 miles a day and you will still break even 8)
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    2 x dhb Earnley 3/4 length tights....was a bit chilly this morning....considering: new mitts (sidi), new courier bag, new frame and new groupset....hang on, bank manager on the phone......
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited October 2008
    Recently took delivery of these for the soon to be tourers:

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=B3001B3001.jpg
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Topeak_TourGuide_Bar_Bag/5360012011/topeak%20tourguide%20bar%20bag%2004.jpg

Then I bought 2 of these:
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/5811/groupID/1/categoryID/11/v/9fb834d2-72f9-4405-b82f-0d7cc7381419ehp216.jpeg

And one of these:
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/5816/groupID/1/categoryID/11/v/9fb834d2-72f9-4405-b82f-0d7cc7381419ehp217.jpeg

Also bought rechargeable batteries and a decent charger, as recommended by Alfablue - thanks AB!

Ordering 2 of these today primarily on AndyM's recommendation!:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Blackburn_Mars_40_Safety_Rear_Light/5360037937/blackburn-eh2011369-med.jpg

And 2 of these (Why on earth do they sell them singly...?):
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/SRAM_Spare_Connecting_Pin/5300003847/
    sram-pin.jpg

1 Pair of these in pink For my girlfriend!:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Kona_Ladies_Supreme_Long_Finger_Gloves/5360035500/kona-1157-med.jpg

And that'll do for the moment I reckon.

Probably need some brakes as well, but going to try and adjust what's on there first.

Andy - I have a pair of those Ronhill tight things, only used them once last year, but very good VFM IMHO.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Judging by the drenching I got this morning, I need to buy some waterproof shoes and socks. Also a lighter jacket and gloves. And a Fenix headlight. And some new lenses for my Madisons. A set of Conti Gator Skins wouldn't go amiss either. Maybe an upgraded bike computer. I'd really like to swap my sus forks for rigids as well and upgrade the brakes.

...and that's just off the top of my head for the commuter bike! I've also an old skool GT Zaskar (circa 1995) that's in need of a service, new tyres and new brakes (see if I can retrofit discs on to a canti brake frame) and hopefully NOT new sus forks. Then I want an entirely new roadie and all that that entails.

This cycling lark is expensive!
    Today is a good day to ride
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited October 2008
    I'm having a "cheap" month:

Edited - remembered more stuff!

Knog Bullfrog front and rear lights
    Castelli Arm Warmers
    Castelli Leg Warmers
    Castelli "Belgian Booties" :oops:
    Pair of red Hudz
    Fizik BarTape

However my want list currently reads rather painfully:

Turbo Trainer
    Super Record :shock:
    FFWD Deep Rim Wheels
    Nokon Cables
    KCNC Ceramic Jockey Wheels
    Dura Ace Track Nuts
    Halo Aeroage Wheelset
    New winter gloves
    White Industries 16T SS sprocket
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    In the past month:

new gloves
    60quids worth of tyres
    handlebars and stem for my mtb
    seatpost
    cyclocross levers
    new brake cables
    cinelli bar tape
    headset spacers
    two middleburn chainrings
    second hand cranks
    ss convertor kit
    two connex z1star rustless chains
    one halflink chain

coming once my funding arrives:

velocity deep-v's
    sapim cx-ray spokes
    halo track hubs
    new tyres and tubes
    fixed sprocket
    some tasty bits from easton and thomson
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Dog tag for my shoe with my name on it. That's all :(
    Steve C
  • New Mavic wheelset by the look of it!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Stanley222 wrote:
    sc999cs wrote:

What's the point on having one on your shoe?!

Have you not seen "Platoon"

You have one on your shoe in case you get your head blown off and your Dog tags get lost. Noob!

Getting your blood group tatooed on your arm is also super ally.

Suggest you don't get you address done at the same time - in case you move or something.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Greg T wrote:
    Stanley222 wrote:
    sc999cs wrote:

What's the point on having one on your shoe?!

Have you not seen "Platoon"

You have one on your shoe in case you get your head blown off and your Dog tags get lost. Noob!
    And how do I get my shoe back afterwards if it doesn't have a tag?
    Greg T wrote:
    Getting your blood group tatooed on your arm is also super ally.

Suggest you don't get you address done at the same time - in case you move or something.
    Oops. Mind you it'll help me keep track of where I've lived...
    Stanley222 wrote:
    It's better off around your neck!
    I have one of those as well because it came as a two pack. however a dog tag for a shoe sounded far more interesting :P
    Steve C
  • This month seems to be drivetrain month for me. I've bought:
    • A new cassette for my commuter (Spesh Sirrus)
    • A new (8sp) chain for may commuter
    • A Deore Hollowtech 2 48/36/26 crankset for my commuter
    • Had the frame faced for my commuter
    • Tools to:
      • Remove the old bottom bracket
      • Preload the new crankset (fortunately I was able to borrow the new BB socket from a mate)
    • New gear cable set for the commuter
    • Cable cutter
    • 3 new (9sp) chains for my MTB
    • A workstand (XTools from CRC - £30 including delivery and seems great so far...)
    • An autumn/winter/spring cycling fleece
    Erm, I've not written that down until now - I reckon that's about £250! Gulp. Please don't tell the wife. :shock:

And I've finally managed to pester work into implementing a cycle2work scheme, so I could be seeing a small (!) reduction in my take home pay for the next 12 months too...

Still, we only have one car where most of our friends "need" two, so I'm probably saving money!

_
  • biondino
    What does "facing" mean in terms of bike upkeep?
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    biondino wrote:
    What does "facing" mean in terms of bike upkeep?

Shaving the bearing surfaces to ensure that they are parallel. Its useful for headests and, more importantly, bb's. If the bearing surfaces aren't parallel, the bearings wear far more rapidly. A nice new Ford Focus shouldn't need it.

I should get this done to my head tube. My headset keeps going (ancient frame - carbon specialized with a spec of neutron star material hidden in it somewhere) and now I have indexed steering.

Its a theft deterrent - no one would get far on it but me.
  • My 25mm Schwalbe Marathon Pluses, Stelvio Pluses and some Continental valve extenders arrived yesterday from bike24 (germnay).

Now the dilemma today is which pair to fit and take for a spin! I think it will probably be the MPs, for the extra winter weight training (!) and the defined water tread...
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • sem69
    sem69 Posts: 106
    Now its getting colder I want a pair of these...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Ronhi ... 360009426/

And a warm windproof long sleeved jersey that doesn't cost too much. Maybe one of these....

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_R ... 360031258/

Sorry can't figure out how to add images! :roll:

Though I'm sruggling to even pay the bills and keep the kids in new shoes etc, so might have to wait for christmas :(
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    I haven't spent as much in 9 1/2 years of commuting as some of you have in the last week! :shock:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    My 25mm Schwalbe Marathon Pluses, Stelvio Pluses and some Continental valve extenders arrived yesterday from bike24 (germnay).

Now the dilemma today is which pair to fit and take for a spin! I think it will probably be the MPs, for the extra winter weight training (!) and the defined water tread...

Marketing schlep. Water tread on a bike is totally pointless.

Sheldon Brown:

Tread for on-road use

Bicycle tires for on-road use have no need of any sort of tread features; in fact, the best road tires are perfectly smooth, with no tread at all!
    Unfortunately, most people assume that a smooth tire will be slippery, so this type of tire is difficult to sell to unsophisticated cyclists. Most tire makers cater to this by putting a very fine pattern on their tires, mainly for cosmetic and marketing reasons. If you examine a section of asphalt or concrete, you'll see that the texture of the road itself is much "knobbier" than the tread features of a good quality road tire. Since the tire is flexible, even a slick tire deforms as it comes into contact with the pavement, acquiring the shape of the pavement texture, only while incontact with the road.

People ask, "But don't slick tires get slippery on wet roads, or worse yet, wet metal features such as expansion joints, paint stripes, or railroad tracks?" The answer is, yes, they do. So do tires with tread. All tires are slippery in these conditions. Tread features make no improvement in this.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I've no idea why Schwalbe Marathon Plus have such a strong tread pattern - no idea at all.

If I had a spare three hours (for it takes that long) I'd pop on my gatorskins and compare and contrast their running characteristics.

GT
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • AndyManc
    I thought we were in 'economic meltdown' obviously it's affecting everyone apart from cyclists.

Which is nice . :D
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • AndyManc
    Daniel B wrote:

I've always fancied a bar bag, in fact I do have a couple of cheap ones that I bought from Lidl , I'll just have to buy an extension bar for my lights and computer :? ...

Right ... were's my crdit card . :roll:
    URBAN_MANC.png