My back brake needs tightening

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited October 2008 in The workshop
Having adjusted my handlebars on my Giant SCR3 to make the curve of the drops more accessible I have found that my back brake is loose.

I've tried tightening it as best I can, made no difference. How can I tighten the brake, I suspect its got to do with the actual cable.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Do you mean the brake where the whole caboodle is attached to the frame, or the caliper arms, or the blocks themselves? Or indeed the cable? The cable is the easiest to sort out!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    moving the bars should not have made any difference to the brake at all.

Sounds like it has popped out of one of the stops.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DonDaddyD
    All I know is that when I press the back brake lever the brake doesn't grip the wheel like it should.

Is there a simple way it can be rectified?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    And that's all *we* know too since you're not giving us any more info. I'd advise getting off the bike and walking round to the back of the bike to see which bit of the brake is loose!
  • nicklouse
    like i said make sure all the outers are in the stops.

eg

mtb_cableinstall.jpg

that will not work.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Haveyou checked that you haven't accidentally flicked the little lever on the brake caliper that opens the caliper up so you can drop the wheel out more easily? As Nick says, moving the handlebars shouldn't affect the brakes at all.
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:
    And that's all *we* know too since you're not giving us any more info. I'd advise getting off the bike and walking round to the back of the bike to see which bit of the brake is loose!

Alright alright calm down, I didn't think that my previous post would come across provocative enough to warrant such a response, sheesh.

My understanding of road bike brakes (in fact all bike brakes barring hydrolic brakes) is that the you pull the lever, which tugs at the cable that pulls the clamps together.

The clamps (the metal bits that hold the brake blocks) appear to positioned correctly and are no further apart than when I first got the bike. Equally the brake blocks (pads) while have been used don't seem to be that worn.

Where there looseness occurs is when I pull the lever, there is very little tension/resistance this suggests that the cable isn't tugging at the clamps properly because the lever isn't tugging at the cable enough.

How do I rectify this?
    Food Chain number = 4

• nicklouse
    so you have looked at the lever. and you have looked at the caliper. but what about all the bits between?
  • biondino
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Alright alright calm down, I didn't think that my previous post would come across provocative enough to warrant such a response, sheesh.

My understanding of road bike brakes (in fact all bike brakes barring hydrolic brakes) is that the you pull the lever, which tugs at the cable that pulls the clamps together.

The clamps (the metal bits that hold the brake blocks) appear to positioned correctly and are no further apart than when I first got the bike. Equally the brake blocks (pads) while have been used don't seem to be that worn.

Where there looseness occurs is when I pull the lever, there is very little tension/resistance this suggests that the cable isn't tugging at the clamps properly because the lever isn't tugging at the cable enough.

How do I rectify this?

Sorry DDD, you're right. I just thought your second post was a bit "my brakes don't work, how do I fix them" after I'd already asked you specific questions!
  • Horton
    I still think it could be the lever on the caliper - where the cable is clamped. This needs to be down. Apologies if the picture below doesn't work.

BR-6600G_600x450_v1_m56577569830636917.jpg

[Admin]Fixed[/Admin]
  • DonDaddyD
    Horton, thanks, but its not the lever on caliper as it is down and previously when it has been up the brakes still work pretty well. The caliper itself looks fine.

Biondino, no worries, my second post was written in haste and I could have/should have put more detail into it. Probably would have pee'd me off if I was trying to help as well.

Nicklouse, thanks for the image but my bikes a road bike. Yes looking at the lever and the caliper I found that the cable inbetween is in fact loose. The brake cable is slack on the bike frame.

I'm of the thought that the lever end of the brake cable needs to be tightened. How do I go about doing that? Alternatively how would I go about adding more tension to the actual brake cable at the either end (caliper or brake lever)?
    Food Chain number = 4

• Horton
    Have you tried following the cable from the handlebar down to the caliper and making sure it is properly seated in all the cable stops along the top tube. It might have popped out of one of those as I don't think the SCR has full length outer cables.
  • DonDaddyD
    Horton wrote:
    Have you tried following the cable from the handlebar down to the caliper and making sure it is properly seated in all the cable stops along the top tube. It might have popped out of one of those as I don't think the SCR has full length outer cables.

Yes I have followed the cable from the handlebar to the caliper, it is seated properly in the cable stops. Along the top tube (where the cable is bare) it feels slack.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Horton
    Sounds like the cable might have slipped then. Undo the bolt behind the lever on the caliper and pull the cable through nice and tight and then do said bolt up again (also) nice and tight. If that doesn't fix it, the only other thing I can think to do would be to pull the hoods back and have a look inside to make sure the nipple is still there and in the right place. The only thing I don't kow is how tilting the handlebars could have had any impact on this. Hope the cable has just slipped as that's an easy fix. Good Luck
  • DonDaddyD
    :D Thank you! :D
    Food Chain number = 4

• Horton
    No worries, I guess that did the trick :lol: