Axle spacing & Chain line

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited October 2008 in The workshop
This might be a stupid question but I have to ask anyway, my current rear wheel (2nd hand) is a hand built Miche track hub on cheapo Alex rim spaced to 126mm the frame is/was 120mm but has been coldset to 126mm simple enough but what I don't get is why? surely all the previous owner had to do was replace the axle spacers on each side and it would have fitted right in...

If I go ahead and change the spacer to 120mm will this have a negative effect on my chain line which is currently 43mm ish with 6mm of crank arm spacers.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would be concerned with re-resetting the frame.

but if you are removing the same amount of spacers from each side of the hub AND the frame is corrected the same way nothing changes at the back of the bike so the front will also stay unchanged.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    nicklouse wrote:
    i would be concerned with re-resetting the frame.

but if you are removing the same amount of spacers from each side of the hub AND the frame is corrected the same way nothing changes at the back of the bike so the front will also stay unchanged.

Thanks, I just took another look at the frame and I don't think the previous owner coldset the frame at all I think he just forced the wheel in place.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.