Is cod liver oil good for cyclists

MoonCircuit
MoonCircuit Posts: 93
Is cod liver oil good for cyclists, especially the knee joints?
Cycling, it has it's ups and downs.

Comments

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Is cod liver oil good for cyclists, especially the knee joints?
    My knees are okay, but I showed the early signs of hip arthritis years ago (confirmed by x-ray). My late father was crippled by it so I decided to do what I could to conserve my joints. I stopped running, but carried on cycling since it doesn't cause me any problems joint-wise.

I take glucosamine sulphate twice a day and cod liver oil once. There is a lot of scientific evidence to support this. My hips seem to be standing up well to this regime - they don't feel much worse than they did 10 years ago.

I buy my supplies from Healthspan. Post-free and VAT-free to the UK.
  • +1 I take an Aloe Vera/Chondritine/Glucosamene drink from Forever Freedom (3 years). I'm aware that there may well be a placebo affect but, nevertheless I haven't had any trouble with knees, hips or ankles. And never have viruses or cold symptoms. This despite completing several marathons, half marathons and plenty triathlons.
    I think you have to religiously take it for at least 6 months for the body to build up any level. Make sure the manufacturer is rated well before spending a goodly amount of your cash on snake oil. :wink:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Olive oil will make your skin glisten like you're working really really hard.
  • Cougar
    Cougar Posts: 100
    Just been prescribed OMACOR by my my heart consultant which is an Omega 3 oil concentrate to reduce my Lipids. ( he knows I won't touch statins with a barge pole). Before that I was already taking 1000 mg cod liver oil a day anyway so can't see any problems with this new drug.

Stopped taking Glucosamine Chondritine about 3 years ago and my dodgy knee is no worse than before. Waste of money IMO.