Credit-Crunch Fixed

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited October 2008 in Road general
Sorry, not as in "solved", rather as "in reponse to"!
As all here know, "fixed" has become almost common-place in recent years (I've even seen 3 or 4 here in Nottingham!). Now this is a "good thing" in some ways (choice of off-the-shelf etc), but a "bad thing" in others (ludicrous prices for any old frame that happens to have the right drop outs etc - I can live with the loss of exclusivity!). So cheap is ever more difficult I think.
I've had a DIY build Langster for a while and just added a 2nd hand Tricross Single: the latter was to be for winter but even at only 250 quid a bit good. So I wanted ....fixed, room for 'grds + big rubber. Almost settled on a Pearson's Hanzo, but 450 notes in these straitened times....??
Remembered that I'd bought a 12 Y.O. Raleigh Pioneer (ridden twice!) for £36 - and sold Brooks saddle off it for 30, so didn't stand me a lot (especially as came with 50 quids worth of dyno and lights).
And it does have shortish horizontals...so on Sunday a.m. I built a 135 oln DMR Revolver mtb SS into a wheel, bought a 10 quid c'set (Alivio rings not separable) and today I tried it:

cheapfix.jpg

It ain't bad! Still got the Alivio g'set to flog, so the donor bike will have cost a negative sum. I suppose the "new" wheels and hub have some value but I still have the original wheels (and tyres!) which will make a fine single free set, so even being honest about stuff I had on the shelf to put on it doubt it's cost over 50 quid!

And with a 501 Double Butted main frame it's probably just as good as most 500 quid new fixeds. But cheaper...
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• Love it! Well done. Thats what I like to see. A cheap to produce bike you can actually use. And with some spares to keep it going. Well done.

Think my Jealousy Factor Number has gone up to 4 now...
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • meagain
    Thank you!
    And it IS very "useable". I usually mix tarmac and gravel/hardpack paths on my a.m. pedals - and it is happy with all!
    d.j.
  • And the smug points go to .......... Meagain 8)
    Well done, nice to see.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • meagain
    Well, a bit smug I suppose! Used to be able to knock out 10 speeders converted to fixed for similar cost a few years ago, but difficult now. So in part the purpose of the exercise (and certainly of the Post) was to show that can still be done albeit with a bit more thought and effort.
    d.j.
  • Before scrolling down, I was expecting to see an On-One clone, but that looks like a classic old style club run bike, with the canti's enhancing that look. The bars look like they have a slight flare to them, what are they?

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • meagain
    "The bars look like they have a slight flare to them, what are they?"

They do - and quite shallow. As to "what", I have no idea! Old and came on something...very probably well past their safe use date. I may replace them with what look to be the closest copy yet of WTB Dirt Drops and currently available from US on ebay - before the lawyers get at 'em!
    d.j.
  • I believe those dirt drops are WIDE, and read some comments as not suitable for riding with hands on hoods

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • meagain
    I had genuine WTB Dirt Drops on my Ti fixed cyclo crosser - best bars I have ever used! Brill off-tarmac - which was of course their purpose. Used the hoods as far as I can recall.
    d.j.