Do hills count if I stop halfway up for a rest?!

adeyboy
adeyboy Posts: 113
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
I guess the subject says it all really.
Living in South Wales I am starting to sniff out some of the better/harder climbs (and let's face it lots of the easier ones). Am I allowed to stop halfway up when I run out of steam ? Does a stop mean (in general acceptance) I can't really claim to have riden up 'X' hill?
For what it's worth, I have revisited one or two which defeated me first time and have since managed them non stop. It'll keep happening I'm sure, but I'll keep trying too!

Cheers,
A

Comments

• STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Try clipless pedals i found these really useful, must be psycological maybe :?
  • adeyboy
    I'm afraid I can't blame equipment - apart from the bit between my ears maybe.
  • If you make it up under your own power, who cares if you stop?
  • adeyboy wrote:
    I guess the subject says it all really.
    Living in South Wales I am starting to sniff out some of the better/harder climbs (and let's face it lots of the easier ones). Am I allowed to stop halfway up when I run out of steam ? Does a stop mean (in general acceptance) I can't really claim to have riden up 'X' hill?
    For what it's worth, I have revisited one or two which defeated me first time and have since managed them non stop. It'll keep happening I'm sure, but I'll keep trying too!

Cheers,
    A
    I live in Mid Wales and can identify with you - I guess taking a break if your body is screaming out for it is sensible at this stage especially if just beginning cycling like me - you do not want to knacker /injure yourself in the process. Use it as a challenge for the next session out and as a measure of your increasing fitness levels when you do conquer the dreaded hill/hills.
    This is just my opinion of course but my philosophy whilst trying to get fit by cycling Ive only just started out so may be wrong ?

Good luck Chris
  • Try clipless pedals i found these really useful, must be psycological maybe :?

Is that the fear of falling off your bike when going so slowly? :shock:

(You as in one ..., nothing personal)
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    GeorgeShaw wrote:

works for me :lol:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Red Devil wrote:
    I live in Mid Wales

I always thought Mid Wales was a void, black hole, with nothing there at all :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • trickeyja
    trickeyja Posts: 202
    The sense of achievement when you get up that tough climb without stopping, for the first time, is immense! I would say I "cycled up" a hill if I had a quick stop but not if I actually got off and pushed the bike up a bit.
  • adeyboy
    I would never push.... I was basically referring to ocassions where I have stopped to catch breath/rest legs/cry a little, then get back on with it.

Actually, in one of the mags this month here was an article about cycling up the Ventoux three times in a day (ha ha) and the guy mentioned calling in at the cafe on one of the ascents for a fuel up.....
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I have some pretty fierce little hills to get up on my way to work. Initially I stopped for a breather and then carried on. It gave my legs the little energy boost they needed. As I have got fitter and gone up them again and again they have got flatter.

I did have a real sense of achievement when I made it up them in one hit (especially effective is the desire not to be overtaken by the cyclist looming behind!!), but I would always say I'd ridden up them. Now they seem much flatter :D
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • linsen
    PS you make the rules :wink:
  • adeyboy
    linsen wrote:

That's a fair point - and Chris from mid Wales too - in that it can act as a good measure of progress and the fact that I do want to get up them in one hit as quickly as possible (as a test)
  • adeyboy
    linsen wrote:

That's a fair point - and Chris from mid Wales too - in that it can act as a good measure of progress and the fact that I do want to get up them in one hit as quickly as possible (as a test)
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    My rule is that I never walk, as I (maybe misguidedly) feel that if I pedal up, at least I am getting the benefit of the training - Apart from that, I stop as often as necessary - One hill used to be my nemesis on the return leg - I gradually reduced the number of stops until I could do it in one. A great feeling.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If you stop halfway up it counts as two hills! You've doubled your achievement!
  • biondino wrote:
    If you stop halfway up it counts as two hills! You've doubled your achievement!

Yeah!! Who cares if you stop. You're still in the minority percentage who are actually getting off their ar$es and doing something!
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Stop as many times as you like, as everyone says, just don't walk.

The sense of anticipation of a big climb can make one attack it too aggressively, try and keep calm and keep a steady pace in your lowest gear from the start - I find it is largely an issue of mental approach, if I keep calm, pedal quietly and smoothly, it keeps my heart rate down and I go further.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    GeorgeShaw wrote:
    Try clipless pedals i found these really useful, must be psycological maybe :?

(You as in one ..., nothing personal)

:lol: Dont worry about offending, i like to think i'm a little thicker skinned than some, but i think thats another thread isn't it? Ahem :wink: 8)
  • i find it harder to get climbing again if i stop midway up a climb :(
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    It's about your own goals.

For me, stopping on an ascent would mean me having to go back to the bottom and start again. I wanted to get off on the Galibier to take pictures of the many marmottes recently but couldn't as it would have been, by my rules, cheating. Unfortunately I was going a little too fast to see if they were still there on they way down.

However, if you are just starting hill climbing or ar less fit then 'success' may mean just getting to a certain point on the hill and trying to beat it next time.
  • As long as you got to the top, it counts! Tell the Munro baggers that they haven't conquered a mountain because they stopped half way up to look at the view.

It is indeed harder to get going again on an incline. I try not to stop because I just know I won't be able to unclip before falling over :shock:
  • where in South Wales are you?
    Are you trying to cluimb the Bwlch and Rigos?

Rule number 1 is never get off
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • adeyboy
    As long as you got to the top, it counts! Tell the Munro baggers that they haven't conquered a mountain because they stopped half way up to look at the view.

That's a Mighty fine point! Cheers to those who have supported my ocassional stops - I try not to, but it's good to know the general consensus is that I can still hold my helmet up high, er.
  • Red Devil wrote:
    I live in Mid Wales

I always thought Mid Wales was a void, black hole, with nothing there at all :wink:

Yup it is with me and my bike :cry:

:lol:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I used to be a purist about never walking up any part of a climb, but have since given this idea up when I've felt at my limit. Typically my limit is when I'm down to 5 kph with 39/25 gearing and, with already 200-300 m covered like that, the next 300-400 m ahead looking just as as steep. If I then walk a little (the 100-200 m), I still count it as a climb managed.
    If the possibility exists, I've sometimes later tried to repeat the climb to see if I can do it without dismounting, to satisfy my conscience, sotospeak.

I'm less certain how to judge an Alpine pass 15+ km long, a pass; I know club colleagues who've walked streches of such totalling 1 km and still counted the pass as climbed.

The problem with dismounting is that after walking a 20-25% slope, it can be very hard to start again on a narrow road with 15-20% slope, so you end up walking farther than you're probably capable of.
  • adeyboy
    Cheers for all the responses folks.

I had my first go at The Bwlch today and am happy to report an ascent with NO stops! Once I got settled into a rhythm I was pretty comfortable all the way up.... steady shall we say, at just over 7mph all the way. That'll do for now.
    Defo something in the psychology, as one or two of you said.
    i'm greatly encouraged by my performance!!!

A
  • linsen
    well done you! How long is it?
  • adeyboy
    It's only 3.1 miles I'm afraid.
    Ave is 6% with a Max of 14% (according to DragonRide website)
  • Well done! now try goinup the south ascent, dropping down the West ascent.. and coming back up it. 8)

you can check the distances on the Dragon ride as before. :D
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • linsen wrote:

The problem with that is, as you get fitter, the rules change!

If I've been off the bike for a couple of months, I make a point of going out and doing the hardest local loop I know. It kills me when I'm 'in form' and absolutely anihilates me when I'm the fat knaker I am now! If you're just starting off and are happy making the rules up as you go allong, then I see no problem with that. The only problem arrises when you've done a hill once and know that you CAN do it but have had some time off the bike. You then have to start back at square one.
    I refuse to give up! Thats just my way! I've fallen over sideways before because I simply refuse to stop trying.
    I look at it this way - If you get to the point where you cant turn the pedals anymore and fall over at 0mph, then you've givenALL of your best! Nobody can ask any more than that, ever!

If you're just starting out, then I'd suggest finding an easier way to the top of a hill/mountain and ride down the hardest bit. When you find the easier way getting easier and easier, try the steep one. By this time, you'll have become a little fitter and will be looking for a new challenge! The added fitness will make you more determined to do the steeper route, as you'll be more confident.

Theres no shame in stopping either!...... Just try to stop a little further up next time.... and the next..... and the.......

Also, it doesnt matter how fit/unfit/fat/skinny you are...... just enjoy it(if you can), advance YOURSELF regardless of other peoples abilty and remember to look at the scenery wherever safe and possible - it makes it all the more enjoyable!

It doesnt matter what type of cycling you do, as long as you've got two wheels and a smile, thats all you need!