Headset Query

Max_Man
Max_Man Posts: 185
edited October 2008 in The workshop
I removed my stem today to lower it (removed a spacer from the bottom to the top, done this before a few times). When I loosened the top allen head bolt and took off the top cap I brought out the larger bolt that the smaller bolt tightens into (hope I explained that right). No idea why. I put the bigger bolt back in and tightened a little, just past hand tight, then I reassembled everything as normal. It seems fine, just like normal adjusting of the headset, no play...all feels fine...but I don't really want to try it until I know what I must do with that other larger bolt that goes down the centre of the headset.

Any advice is greatly appreciated...ta.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a picture of your set up would be good.

But at a guess you will have an expander in the steerer of the fork that the big bolt screws into to pull a wedge up to hold it in place.

that big bolt needs to be a little more than finger tight. JUST a LITTLE as it has allready been tightened on fitting.

BUT if you have put it all together and have no play and the stem bolts are tight then there is NO problem. as all it does is give a means to preload the bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Max_Man
    It just seems strange, all my previous aheadset's have had the top bolt thread straight into the star fangled nut, but this has a long outer bolt that does that and the top bolt threads into the larger bolt.... :?:
  • Is the sterrer tube made of carbon fibre or alloy. If it is carbon you wil not find a star fangled nut but a compression bolt in the tube
  • Max_Man
    PatrickT wrote:
    Is the sterrer tube made of carbon fibre or alloy. If it is carbon you wil not find a star fangled nut but a compression bolt in the tube

Ah, yep they are carbon...how do the compression bolts work?, would I have buggered it up by removing the bolt that goes through it?
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Most work by expanding as you tighten the bolt, in much the same way that the old quill stems used to work. As long as you can thread the bolt back in through all the threads it will be fine. You'll esaily be ablt to tell whether it is gripping or not.
  • Max_Man
    robbarker wrote:
    Most work by expanding as you tighten the bolt, in much the same way that the old quill stems used to work. As long as you can thread the bolt back in through all the threads it will be fine. You'll esaily be ablt to tell whether it is gripping or not.

Thanks, yep it's gripping fine, hasn't moved position either. Since finding out that what I had was a compression bolt I've checked them out, quite simple really. Another lesson learned... :D