Panniers or backpack on my first road bike

trevtherev
trevtherev Posts: 372
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
I have been riding a ridgeback day 01 for some 2 years and I am soon to purchase a road bike through cycle to work govment scheme. I am considering not puting rack/panniers on the rear of the bike but rather buying a backpack such as this....instead
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 119c003128
I need a backpack as I use the bike to commute all week and it contains shirt/sock/glove/lunch etc. Will I feel unbalanced with a backpack? the bike I am considering is the Giant Defy 1.0

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
www.runningfree.co.uk

Comments

• i am definatly no expert but i always hear that you don't really want any weight on you body when cycling. So i think panniers are the way to go.
  • i've experimented with both and hate the feeling of a bike unbalanced by panniers... i only ever now use a rucksack (every day), which doesn't bother me even fully laden...
  • Trev, I have the Revolution Stow Light rucksack from the Edinburgh Bike Co-op and its a cracking little rucksack. It's the one a size down from that one in your link.

These are made by Vaude and have a nice comfy back system that allows the air to circulate through. The Stow Light feels nice and balanced in use on the bike, although I don't carry anything heavy in it, just some food and a bottle of water, wallet, keys etc on my commute. The Revolution sacks are also Camelback compatible which is a nice bonus.

For the money, I reckon they are worth every penny and more.

Once you have used one it's not hard to see why they always get rave reviews. 8)
    Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
    Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Rucksack IMO :

1. Can be put to other uses otherthan your cycling
    2. Panniers will catch all the rubbish of the road
    3. Look naff on a cool bike
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Thanks guys for the replies, I do agree paniers will look pretty naff on a nice new road bike.....and your experience of using them gives me great confidence to order a rucksack from the Edinburgh Co-op.

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
    www.runningfree.co.uk
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    got one of these BACKPACKS from my local sportsworld. Although the picture doesn't show it the bag is kept clear of your back by the mesh which really helps it not to get sweaty. Its also very stable and does not move about as there is a strap to go around your body.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • I use one of these

http://www.carradice.co.uk/sqr-saddlepa ... tour.shtml

It's well balanced, doesn't look to bad on the road bike and also works as a mudguard of sorts (stops the wet ar*e in the rain)
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    trevtherev wrote:
    I have been riding a ridgeback day 01 for some 2 years and I am soon to purchase a road bike through cycle to work govment scheme. I am considering not puting rack/panniers on the rear of the bike but rather buying a backpack such as this....instead
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 119c003128
    I need a backpack as I use the bike to commute all week and it contains shirt/sock/glove/lunch etc. Will I feel unbalanced with a backpack? the bike I am considering is the Giant Defy 1.0

I switched from panniers on my Giant to the Revolution Stow Expert rucksack in the spring and much prefer it to the panniers dont feel unbalanced at all and i often have the rucksack filled to the brim.. Mind you thats on my daily commute of 9 mile each way dont know what itd be like on say a 40 miler .

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • stueyc
    stueyc Posts: 518
    feel wrote:
    got one of these BACKPACKS from my local sportsworld. Although the picture doesn't show it the bag is kept clear of your back by the mesh which really helps it not to get sweaty. Its also very stable and does not move about as there is a strap to go around your body.

same here...nice little bit of kit for the money
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    If you follow the rucksack option, consider investing in a Respro Hi-Viz cover. You will be more easily seen and the covers are waterproof.
  • Have you considered a bar bag or a rack back (assuming you have a rear rack..). Gets the stuff off your back, and no balance issues.. as long as it's big enough for your kit of course. It also works for long days out.
  • panniers on the road, always, unless you can get away with a seat pack. IMO :)
  • I sweat like a pig when I ride, and a ruck sack would be too claustrophobic. Sure, panniers make you look a bit spoddy, but they make the ride much more enjoyable. IMHO.
  • Rucksacs also make handy spine protectors.

I've ridden 45 miles afterwork with one and it's not too bad.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    On week long tours(supported) that require that you carry rain gear and clothing
    for the cold I took an old Camelbak, pulled the bladder out, and use it to carry
    essentials that I might need on any one day. Works fine.

Dennis Noward
  • It's always been a saddlebag or panniers for me. The panniers are for a fully loaded tour and Carradice saddlebag for day rides.
    Personally I don't like the idea of rucksacks but it's purely a personal opinion. ( And you'll get plenty of them on here!)
    Here's a box,a musical box. Wound up and ready to play.
    (brian Cant,Camberwick Green).
  • Gussio wrote:
    If you follow the rucksack option, consider investing in a Respro Hi-Viz cover. You will be more easily seen and the covers are waterproof.

Good call.

This is another nice thing about the Edinburgh bike Co-op rucksacks.

The Revo range come with their own hi-vis rain cover which zips away into a wee pocket on the base of the sack when not required. 8)

I have my cover fitted all the time, rain or not, for visibility.
    Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
    Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010
  • coffeecup
    coffeecup Posts: 128
    I'd really recommend one of these for carrying shirts if you're commuting with either a pannier or backpack

Eagle creek folder

You can put 3 or 4 shirts into it, keep some tools in a saddle bag and then leave the backpack behind on the other days. :D

Also, before you put it in the backpack/pannier put it in a decent plastic bag first to keep everything water-tight. There's nothing worse than finding 4 wet shirts when you get to work.... trust me. :cry:
    Time you've enjoyed wasting, hasn't been wasted

Bianchi L'Una, Bianchi 928 C2C 105, Dahon MU SL
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    If you are going to carry much weight and particularly if you have any weakness in your back, I reckon panniers are a much better option. I think I suffered from my bike bag which has a nylon (solid) strip at the base which is used to spring the bag off your back. A good idea in theory but if the bag is loaded up, the strip can dig into your back.

Some folks won't be troubled either way, but quite a few cyclists I know have got back niggles.

Peter