Clipless pedals and the law

Comments

• dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I'm pretty sure that I'm correct in saying that the Highway Code is not law. Breaking it does not necessarily consitute an offence although could be construed as driving withour due care and attention with extra evidence.

Anyone know any more about this?
    Correct. But pedal reflectors are a legal requirement.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    One of the points raised against the chap that killed the girl in Buckingham was that he did not have refectors on his pedals.

The prosecution were trying to score points, thuswise:
    The bike was made, with no expense being spared, to the evil cyclists precise specifications.
    The bike did not comply with the highway code.
    Therefore, the evil cyclist had either willfully or negligently specified that the bike should be unsafe to use on the road.
    This demonstrated that he had nothing but contempt for public safety.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Craigbes
    Craigbes Posts: 74
    They come with neat little reflectors that bolt on the bottom of the shoes. :lol:
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    fluff. wrote:
    buspassman wrote:
    Someone may be able to correct me, but if I remember rightly, the "built after" refers to the whole bike, i.e. applies to bikes sold complete. That's why you see even the highest-end bikes for sale in shops fitted with pedals (and wheels) with reflectors. However, as I understand it, it doesn't apply to a bike you built up yourself, and doesn't even apply to a bike after it as been sold, just to the bike at point of sale. I think the whole thing is a worry about nothing.

Somewhere in a Planet-X thread I remember something about bikes sold without pedals are classified as racing machines, and are exempt from the bell/ reflector business.

Almost all shoes for clipless pedal systems come with a reflector in the heel anyway.

There's no such catogory in law. Consumer legislation states that a pedal cycle must be equiped with a bell at the point of sale and lighting regulations say that bikes manufactured after a specified date must be fitted with four pedal reflectors if used on the highway during the hours of darkness.

Bob
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    beverick wrote:
    fluff. wrote:
    buspassman wrote:
    Someone may be able to correct me, but if I remember rightly, the "built after" refers to the whole bike, i.e. applies to bikes sold complete. That's why you see even the highest-end bikes for sale in shops fitted with pedals (and wheels) with reflectors. However, as I understand it, it doesn't apply to a bike you built up yourself, and doesn't even apply to a bike after it as been sold, just to the bike at point of sale. I think the whole thing is a worry about nothing.

Somewhere in a Planet-X thread I remember something about bikes sold without pedals are classified as racing machines, and are exempt from the bell/ reflector business.

Almost all shoes for clipless pedal systems come with a reflector in the heel anyway.

There's no such catogory in law. Consumer legislation states that a pedal cycle must be equiped with a bell at the point of sale and lighting regulations say that bikes manufactured after a specified date must be fitted with four pedal reflectors if used on the highway during the hours of darkness.

Bob

Actually, according to the CTC there is an exemption for "competition bikes" but the omission of pedals are for a different reason:
    Retailers can evade this legislation by not supplying a complete pedal cycle; hence it is common for de-luxe bicycles (on which reflectors and a bell would look silly) to be marketed without pedals, since without pedals, a complete pedal cycle you do not have!

However, you still need forward and rear-facing pedal retro-reflectors to legally use the bike other than during the hours of daylight.
    _
  • So we now have the definitive answer to the 'Should I restore this old bike?' question.

Yes, if it was made before 1/10/85, just so you can do legal nightriding with your SPDs!
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Underscore wrote:
    beverick wrote:
    fluff. wrote:
    buspassman wrote:

Bob

Actually, according to the CTC there is an exemption for "competition bikes" but the omission of pedals are for a different reason:
    Retailers can evade this legislation by not supplying a complete pedal cycle; hence it is common for de-luxe bicycles (on which reflectors and a bell would look silly) to be marketed without pedals, since without pedals, a complete pedal cycle you do not have!

However, you still need forward and rear-facing pedal retro-reflectors to legally use the bike other than during the hours of daylight.
    _

You are mixing and matching laws and British Standards. The exemptions you refer to relate to the retailer at the point of sale (Pedal Bicycles (Safety) Regulations 2003) and not to the end use of the bike.

The law regarding pedal reflectors requires them to be used on all pedal cycles during the hours of darkness.

Bob
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    beverick wrote:
    You are mixing and matching laws and British Standards. The exemptions you refer to relate to the retailer at the point of sale (Pedal Bicycles (Safety) Regulations 2003) and not to the end use of the bike.
    No, I am only concerning myself with the law, specifically at the point of sale. This requires the fitment of bells and reflectors (e.g. wheel reflectors) that are not legal requirements at the point of use - even during the hours of darkness. It was mentioned that
    fluff. wrote:
    to which you replied
    beverick wrote:
    There's no such catogory in law. Consumer legislation states that a pedal cycle must be equiped with a bell at the point of sale [...]
    I was intending only to point out that the point of sale legislation does have such a category (according to the CTC, anyway) that allows competition bikes (as well as "incomplete" bikes) to be sold without the fitment of a bell or reflectors. It was not my intent to suggest that these bikes were also legal to ride during the hours of darkness without the addition of reflctors.
    beverick wrote:
    The law regarding pedal reflectors requires them to be used on all pedal cycles during the hours of darkness.
    With exceptions, yes. The RVLR require:
      1: A red rear retro-reflector on the centre-line or off-side of the bike and at most 900mm from the ground 2: An amber pedal retro-reflector on each of the leading and trailing pedal edges and plainly visible from the front and rear, respectively, for any bicycle
    manufactured on or after 1st October 1985

and lights, of course.

_
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    :shock:
    ..and over 3 pages of posts, all the reasons I need to walk to work, once the clocks go back...
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I used to agonise over the details of law, but have lost interest. The final straw was when they improved the lights rules to allow flashing as the only light but added the bit about brit standard if capable of running steady . What a cock up. In my lifetime I cannot remember a time when the law was appropriate for a well fitted out modern bike. Even today unless you are on a dutch shopper there will be something to nit-pick about in the law.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    Hey! that's not what I wrote.The forum machine changed my words.

Is it not the case that a c>ck -up is letting the c>ck end of a cannon get so high that the ball rolls out?
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I wonder if c0ck works
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    there is nothing to nitpick about a brakeless black fixie with no lights or reflectors because you'll never see it...
  • hamstrich
    hamstrich Posts: 112
    priory wrote:
    Hey! that's not what I wrote.The forum machine changed my words.

Is it not the case that a c>ck -up is letting the c>ck end of a cannon get so high that the ball rolls out?

There are several ideas for the origin of the phrase, but in none of the ones I've come across has 'c0ck' been meant in a vulgar sense. This is moderation gone a little OTT!
  • I have an 80's bike, it's all fine for me. It has reflectors anyway.
  • Hello all

my first (slightly dull) post to flag up that Crank Bros do reflector rails for some of their pedals - I've got them on my Smarty pedals, they replace the inter-changeable coloured rails and make the pedal a little bit bigger. I emailed Crank Bros to ask about their existence and they very kindly posted me a set
  • marky2484
    marky2484 Posts: 160
    Of course, we all know that motorists MUST obey all the laws in force , or face the wrath of indignant cyclists, but as cyclists, we are of course, free to disregard any law we don't like the sound of......... :oops:
    If I had a baby elephant, I\'d be asking my girlfriend some SERIOUS questions.....
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    C0ck up comes from archery - the c0ck feather on ther flights is a different colour from the others and should be outermost when the bow is fired thus ensuring consistency when shooting - if the c0ck feather is uppermost then its a 'C0ck up' - simple 8)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Jay dubbleU
    you cant really have a cock-up with the cock feather as it is either in or out.

Unless the fletcher messed up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • psutton
    psutton Posts: 206
    The bikes the rozzers in Birmingham ride dont have pedal reflectors :roll: Make of that what you will...
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    marky2484 wrote:
    Of course, we all know that motorists MUST obey all the laws in force , or face the wrath of indignant cyclists, but as cyclists, we are of course, free to disregard any law we don't like the sound of......... :oops:

If there was a motoring law on the books that said you had to have one of these avalable at all times for the use of the driver 21683.jpg

and that you were breaking the law, even if your car was equipped with these

vs_lights-reflectors_01.png

you would probably find that many motorists and the police, would not take it too seriously. the only double standard is the law.
  • Perhaps Bikeradar can petition Crank Bros to include reflective rails as one of the standard colour options on Smarty pedals ??

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • C0ck up comes from archery - the c0ck feather on ther flights is a different colour from the others and should be outermost when the bow is fired thus ensuring consistency when shooting - if the c0ck feather is uppermost then its a 'C0ck up' - simple

I am so going to regret asking this. Is that true, or made up?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Parkey wrote:
    I've just noticed that the highway code (rule 60) states:

At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85).

I use small SPD-type pedals. Does that mean I'm technically breaking the law?

No you are not technically breaking the law, you are breaking the law. All offences are now arrestable. You are nicked. You will be taken down the station and a cell sample taken from your mouth by swab to provide your DNA profile to match against the National DNA databse and to remain there until a match is obtained against any unsolved crimes or should you feel the need to break the law in the future we already have your profile. Be warned.

What is the penalty for this misdemeanour of not having the requisite reflectors on clipless pedals? Bike seized and crushed, and a criminal record?

Alex
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428

:wink:
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Re: lights that are legal blinking and steady, the Blinky Superflash (1/2Watt LED) is UK approved when steady.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Mithras wrote:

:wink:

Typical! An actual policeman eventually turns up during a genuine conversation about a legal matter where we could all use some proper advice, straight from the horses mouth. And all he can do is pull silly faces.
    :?
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I have been stopped at night for having no reflectors!

I made some LED lights recently which I made on an old cut-down belt so you can put them round your ankles. They had light all 360 degrees round. I have also lined a helmet with LEDs all the way round too. I had both on as well as the usual flashing lights attatched to the bike but the officer said that "lights are no substitute for reflectors". :? That's the stupidest thing i've ever heard a policeman say, ever.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    OK, you lot who has a BELL fitted to their bike
    bagpuss
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you ask every one of the constables on my shift, not one will know about this law...