Strange weight gain - bike broken now

fuzzynavel
fuzzynavel Posts: 718
I went for my biggest ever ride on Sunday....50 miles at what I would class as a reasonable pace...and I would be expecting to possibly keep my weight constant or even lose some weight.....
On Sunday evening I weighed myself as usual and had lost 1 lb which I can usually attribute to dehydration as it goes back on the next day.

The strange thing is that on Monday I had put on 3lbs....Can I conceivably put on 3lbs of muscle the day after exercise??
17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!

Comments

• Your weight can vary hugely based on hydration levels, how much/what you've eaten/when...

My weight can vary by up to 3kg over the course of 24hours.

What did you eat post ride? When? How much did you drink before bed? Had you been to the loo before weighing in etc. Better to keep an eye on your weight over the course of several weeeks and keep an eye out for a general trend rather than worrying about individual weigh-ins.
    We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies - it is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire
  • Your weight can vary hugely based on hydration levels, how much/what you've eaten/when...

What did you eat post ride? When? How much did you drink before bed? Had you been to the loo before weighing in etc. Better to keep an eye on your weight over the course of several weeeks and keep an eye out for a general trend rather than worrying about individual weigh-ins.

I have been weighing myself religiously every day at the same time due to the fact that my weight has been shown to fluctuate a few pounds between morning and night. |I try to keep variables to a minimum.
    The odd thing is that the weight has stayed on...I'm probably being a little anal about this and should stop micromanaging!!
    I use Wii Fit for weighing myself so that I can get a nice graph over time.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Way yourself once a week at the most.

3 lbs in a day is within normal fluctuations, keep it to weighing yourself at the same time every week or just ignore it altogether.
  • fatbee
    fatbee Posts: 581
    Could be down to glycogen loss. A long, slow, steady ride (as might be advocated for weightloss,) will, if not much is eaten during or soon after the ride, deplete intra-muscular and liver stores of glycogen. To every bit of glycogen there is attached, two or three times that amount of water, and this will be lost as the glycogen is used up, irresoective of your state of hydration or dehydration in the normal sense.

This is one reason that low-carb dieters (like those on the Atkins) lose weight so dramatically at the outset and put it back on so quickly (albeit briefly) if they fall off the diet wagon. But it's not weight gain or loss in the sense of fat - it's just sugar and water!

Having said that, 50 mile at a "reasonable pace", might not qualifiy as long and slow. Then a gain if that's an unusually long ride for you, it might. So it's just a thought.

And no, it def won't've been three pounds of muscle in that time!
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965

3kg in 24 hours, that's almost half a stone.!! That doesn't sound normal to me.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Infamous wrote:
    Way yourself once a week at the most.
    I've never understood that instruction. If you have a variable that randomly fluctuates, to get the most accurate reading you would sample it more times and take an average, rather than sampling it fewer times and believing whatever the reading happens to be on that day.

An instruction to weigh yourself daily and take an average once a week seems very sensible to me. The problem is of course that you have to be strong-willed enough to not worry on the days when your weight is high and and sensible enough not to celebrate with a pig-out on the days when your weight is low. :wink:

Ruth
  • Infamous
    Obviously taking an average would be more accurate, however, fuzzy hasn't done this, he has taken too many readings and overreacted (in the form of this thread).

That is when taking a reading once per week becomes a more useful idea.

Not that weight is accurate enough anyway, even if you take an average over the week, how do you know how much is muscle gain/loss and how much is fat gain/loss ? a body fat % reading is much more useful IMHO.
  • Infamous wrote:
    Obviously taking an average would be more accurate, however, fuzzy hasn't done this, he has taken too many readings and overreacted (in the form of this thread)..

I bet I have!!....I have a lovely downwards trend over the last 16 weeks from 17 st ish down to my current 15 st 11lbs.. Obviously there are days when weight goes up and others when the weight goes down....normally I lose 2lbs on the day of a ride and put on 1lb the next day making a cumulative loss of 1lb every 2 days. As I ride every second night I then lose 2 lbs the day after the weight gain and then put on 1 lb the next day as clockwork.....

Putting on 3lbs the day after my biggest ever ride (by a long way....previous was about 20 miles!!) was a total outlier in terms of statistics and I was looking for sensible reasoning as to why this has occured. Is there some metabolic difference between a long hard ride and a short hard ride..... I keep roughly the same average pace over the first 25 miles of my 50 miler as I do in my 3 times a week 15 mile ride with 2 x 1km 10% hill climb intervals....The second 25 of the 50 miler is noticably slower....probably due to crap endurance as this is new to me....
    I am officially in training for next year and have set my self some realistic but ambitious targets. The main factor that I see that I need to overcome first is the weight.... Once the weight comes down my watts/kg automatically goes up which can bring big gains with little work. This is the reason for watching my weight.
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    "I went for my biggest ever ride on Sunday....50 miles"

How were your legs feeling the day after??
    Chances are that you have a bit of microtrauma that has caused an acccuulation of fluid in the interstitial space (between your blood vessels and cells) an this is the result of your weight gain.

Nothing to worry about. Your weight should return to normal quite quickly as you recover
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Sounds like you are a little obsessive over weighing yourself and the implications of any variation.

Weigh yourself at the same time/day once a week.
  • Infamous
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    Infamous wrote:
    Obviously taking an average would be more accurate, however, fuzzy hasn't done this, he has taken too many readings and overreacted (in the form of this thread)..

I bet I have!!....I have a lovely downwards trend over the last 16 weeks from 17 st ish down to my current 15 st 11lbs.. Obviously there are days when weight goes up and others when the weight goes down....normally I lose 2lbs on the day of a ride and put on 1lb the next day making a cumulative loss of 1lb every 2 days. As I ride every second night I then lose 2 lbs the day after the weight gain and then put on 1 lb the next day as clockwork.....

If you have done this then you should know more than anyone how much weight can fluctuate, and that 3lbs overnight doesn't matter, it's the end of the week that matters.

It's likely the 3lbs is fluid and foods that you ate sunday evening. Some of that would have turned into fat, but a lot of it would be stored as glycogen.

To gain 3lbs of muscle you would need to eat 3+ lbs (360+ grams) of protein, even then your body can only take in so much at a time (about 40 grams per meal iirc), even then, 3lbs of muscle couldn't grow overnight, even on steroids, even. or something.
  • I stopped weighing myself 4 years ago after I got raher too anal about it. I used to weigh myself every day first thing in the morning, enter on an Excel spreadsheet, graph it, plot a 7 day moving average and almost plan my eating around what the spreadsheet said. I have no idea what I weigh now and I don't care. I run a tape over chest, waist, hips about once a month and gauge body fat by what I see in the mirror. I sill get in some of the clothes i have left from 4 years ago so figure weight and body fat at fairly constant which means all that measuring and plotting was a complete waste of time
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    I have the same and gain 3 to 4lbs after a hard ride. Weight reverts back to normal after 3 or so days. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Paul
  • Infamous wrote:
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    Infamous wrote:

If you have done this then you should know more than anyone how much weight can fluctuate, and that 3lbs overnight doesn't matter, it's the end of the week that matters.

It's likely the 3lbs is fluid and foods that you ate sunday evening. Some of that would have turned into fat, but a lot of it would be stored as glycogen.

To gain 3lbs of muscle you would need to eat 3+ lbs (360+ grams) of protein, even then your body can only take in so much at a time (about 40 grams per meal iirc), even then, 3lbs of muscle couldn't grow overnight, even on steroids, even. or something.

So essentially I am getting a bit obsessive :twisted: it started as a fun bet with my wife about getting to 16 stone from 17....I've turned into an hysterical beast :):cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

So what I have learned is that it is ok to weigh myself but take it with a pinch of salt as there are too many variables that I can't discount entirely...Look at it maybe once a week or every couple of weeks to make sure it is trending the way I want.
    Maybe a better measure would be before and after pics and size measurements of various body parts...

Ok...now I am cured....you can put the white jackets away!! :D

Look at this as a public service....If I ask the silly questions then any newbie who can figure out the search system (few and far between) won't need to ask them.... :idea:

thanks all
  • Infamous
    I eagerly await your next thread entitled "I gained 3 inches in 12 hours!"

:D
  • judokev
    judokev Posts: 49
    Hi FN,

I wouldnt worry about a few pounds here and there as others have said it goes up down with us all.

The best thing to do is get your wife to measure you, measure once a month your neck chest stomach waste thigh calf and bicep plus weigh yourself. Then write it all down.

Most people find they loose a load of weight straight away then stop loosing it but if you measure yourself aswell you will see you are loosing inches even if your dropping little or no weight this will keep you going in the right direction.

Judokev
  • Infamous wrote:
    I eagerly await your next thread entitled "I gained 3 inches in 12 hours!"

:D

It takes me less than a few seconds to gain more than 3 inches!! :twisted:

• 3kg in 24 hours, that's almost half a stone.!! That doesn't sound normal to me.

2 - 3 hours on a turbo :shock: sometimes it isn't possible to drink enough to replace the fluids lost during the session - occasionally I weigh myself immediately after a session just for interest :oops: but it helps me know how much I need to drink during the remainder of the day to ensure I'm not dehydrated. :D
    We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies - it is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire
  • On road training out the window.....Woman decided that I didn't have right of way when I was on a roundabout. and pulled in front of me....nowhere to go :evil: ....front wheel, forks, handlebar went under the car....frame looks ok from the outside.... I have cuts and grazes and a nasty bang on the ribs but I managed to stay out from under the car too.

Back to the gym for me!!
  • Infamous
    :( gutted for you.

how long till you can get the bike back up and running?
  • Infamous wrote:
    :( gutted for you.

how long till you can get the bike back up and running?

The bike is not covered under my house insurance so they won't pursue the claim as the accident was outside the confines of my property...even though the other party admitted fault....I will have to go down the no win-no fee route and try to get someone to act on my behalf. I have all the details from the other person and we have both made statements to the Police...

As far as I can see the bike will be rideable once I get the front end sorted out....need new front wheel, front forks, handle bars...gear shifters/ brakes...I have not had a look to see if the frame is bent yet but i don't think it is. 1 week to the day that I received it and it is trashed :?
    Have had to take a day off work....didn't get much sleep last night....very sore this morning...have a doctors appt later to get the ribs checked out as they are V. sore without bruising so am a little worried as to why it hurts without any marks!! Hopefully the hit didn't fracture them.... I must have hit the car at around 20 mph...don't remember feeling a thing when it happened....I just got up off the road as quickly as possible cos I was aware of traffic behind me...
    Plenty of people stopped to ask if I was ok...including a lot of cyclists...so thanks to anybody who stopped at the bottom or Arthur Seat in Edinburgh last night around 6pm...much appreciated.. :)

Stupid thing is I was having a fantastic ride....On my first lap of the hill I was following some guy on a blue/black Pinarello with all the gear...overshoes...leggings....proper windproof cycling jacket etc (with me in my usual cycling shorts and tee-shirt)....he was slower than my usual pace on the flat (but I decided to watch and learn) but was able to push harder up the hill...although he must have been about 3st lighter!! I stayed with him almost to the top of the hill at a pace faster than my usual....but I only lost about 5 bike lengths over the 1km climb...so I was well chuffed.....shame it all came to an end on the second lap.... :(
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    FN, I had a similar accident a few months ago, and pursued the claim via my CTC membership and their accident helpline. They use a company called Russel Jones and Walker, who have been excellent with my claim. I have today received the interim settlement for the physical injury and await a final settlement on the bike.

I would recommend contacting the police to register the accident and get a accident reference number from them. Also do go to your doctor and get it checked out, this is very helpful in proving that your not making it up further down the line.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • DaSy wrote:
    FN, I had a similar accident a few months ago, and pursued the claim via my CTC membership and their accident helpline. They use a company called Russel Jones and Walker, who have been excellent with my claim. I have today received the interim settlement for the physical injury and await a final settlement on the bike.

I would recommend contacting the police to register the accident and get a accident reference number from them. Also do go to your doctor and get it checked out, this is very helpful in proving that your not making it up further down the line.

The Police were informed by both parties at 2 different stations so they are fighting over who gets to deal with it. Was also supposed to be at the doctor for something entirely different today anyway so got him to make note of my injuries while he was at it. I also saught legal representation today as my home insurance doesn't cover my bike while I am actually on it apparently...I am going no win no fee but they take a massive 20% if they win..At least my bike is brand new...heavily reduced at the moment and pretty much out of stock everywhere so they will have to base my SCR 1.5 price on next years Defy if there is to be a like for like swap.
    I think I have all bases covered....the only thing I didn't do was get any witness details which was stupid but I don't carry anything when I ride...not even my mobile..(no pockets)
  • Took the bike to my local LBS to see what would need to be replaced....Guy was very helpful and gave it a quick once over....will take it back to get a report for insurance and make sure he charges for his time this time!

Things that will definately need replaced would be the front fork, Tiagra brakes/gears, cables, handle bar, tape, front wheel, front tiagra brake mechanism.....I could probably push for more as the bike has scratches on the rear mech, saddle, pedals and frame that I haven't managed to accumulate in a week of riding prior to the crash....(the bike has spent the last week standing in my hall and has never been on its side until the crash)

I priced up the "must replace" bits at Ribble and there is easily £300 worth of bits....never mind the labour to fit them...I would be as well replacing the bike if I take into account the "could warrant complaint" bits..:( not a happy camper