Please pray for me

sicknote
sicknote Posts: 901
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Hi All
I am new on this forum but have enjoyed reading it plus some of the great advice that I have got a lot from.

I have now come back to road bikes ( have had a Saracen Crosstrax for a lot for years ) but just got a road bike on Ebay

Hope I dont need to much to get it going :D
Cross fingers its just a chain
new old bike

Does anyone have any info on it as I could not find much?

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Alter the saddle position before you try and ride it otherwise your gonads will be beyond prayer :wink:

d9c2_1.JPG
  • sicknote
    I will be putting my saddle from the other bike on it, plus I might try to get a spoon pass her and see which one I like best.

I did the London to Cambridge this year with very little time on the bike :shock: 8)

So now have the bug again and want to do some more next year but will be fit by then :D
    ( well fitter )
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    I'd also say you'd also need new tyres if they're a few years old and had been left flat.
    Every winner has scars.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi, having looked at the bike i will pray for you. Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Don't know about the bike, but you need to re-level your paving stones. That's a health and safety nightmare that is :wink:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    :shock: good luck - I think you may end up spending a good deal of money on this 'bargain'
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    that chain looks abit rusty
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Don't know about the bike, but you need to re-level your paving stones. That's a health and safety nightmare that is :wink:
    On looking at the wall behind it could do with re-pointing and a fresh lick of paint :lol: Greetings Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • sicknote
    :shock: :D
    For start its not my garden, its the sellers but hoping its not to bad.

Not seen it yet as I have to sort out a courier but have been busy with work ( work for myself )

I will post some better pics if anyone is interested when I have it?

Does anyone have any info on it?
  • Sicknote wrote:
    :

I think the pavers are standard 2 by 1 available at most good hardware stores. You'll need some sand and gravel for the base, a good spirit level and a rubber hammer. Not sure about the pointing, ask ademort :wink::lol:

Good luck with the bike, looking forward to seeing the finished article :D
  • Sicknote wrote:
    :

I think the pavers are standard 2 x1 slabs available at most good hardware stores. You'' nedd sand, gravel, a spirit level and a rubber hammer. The pointing, I'm not sure. Ask Ademort :wink::lol:

Oh and good luck with the bike. Looking forward to seeing pics :wink:
  • sicknote
    Sicknote wrote:
    :

I think the pavers are standard 2 x1 slabs available at most good hardware stores. You'' nedd sand, gravel, a spirit level and a rubber hammer. The pointing, I'm not sure. Ask Ademort :wink::lol:

Oh and good luck with the bike. Looking forward to seeing pics :wink:

I guess I walked head long into that one but more info on the bike would be handy :)
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    It looks pretty old - the old style headset would date it to before 2000 I think. Worries me a little that there is no Specialized logo on the downtube or that the seller has not stated what the frame material is.

Mind you, I don't think the seller knows much about bikes as he/she is apparently 5'5" and riding a 56cm frame - would think that's way too big for them. No wonder the saddle is so low.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    bronzie I would place the bike older than 2000 perhaps early to mid nineties look at the cranks they are square taper and the stem is a quill type so the headset is pre Ahead. Also the seat stays are wrapped around the seat tube, and there seem to be lugs on the head tube. The diameter of the tubing also suggests steel frame and the gears are a more recent addition.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Don't think doing you any favours to mince words, so....
    Are you actually paying 42 quid for this, PLUS cost of postage?
    From a cloth head who thinks that a 58cm frame is too small for someone 5'9"?
    Beyond prayer, I fear.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • sicknote
    Hi meagain

So I would guess from what you have said, I have wasted my money.
    Well I should find out at the end of the week for sure and it cant be any worse the what I am riding at the mo, well I hope not :wink:
  • meagain
    "I have wasted my money."
    Well....I guess more accurately you could have got something more than twice as good for less than twice the money.
    "it can't be any worse the what I am riding at the mo, well I hope not"
    I share your hope: good luck!
    d.j.
  • sicknote
    Where could I have got a bike twice as good for half the price unless it was nicked?

Cause ebay is not the place from what I have seen :shock:
    :)
  • I got a similar 'bargain' Mercian........now many many £££'s latter I have a lovely old Mercian bike that I should have bought new !

Ebay is a potential danger zone.
  • julietp
    julietp Posts: 67
    Sicknote wrote:
    Where could I have got a bike twice as good for half the price unless it was nicked?

You couldn't have done. For goodness sake everyone, if it gets 'sicknote' back into roadcycling then it is worth it and he can spend more at a later date. As long as you don't have to spend more than anotehr £50 on it to get it out then I think it should be worth it.

I think people are comparing it to new models which is not really fair.
  • sicknote
    julietp wrote:
    Sicknote wrote:

You couldn't have done. For goodness sake everyone, if it gets 'sicknote' back into roadcycling then it is worth it and he can spend more at a later date. As long as you don't have to spend more than anotehr £50 on it to get it out then I think it should be worth it.

I think people are comparing it to new models which is not really fair.

This is what I was thinking as I have started riding again after a 10 year break but loving it again, just would like to go faster as I ride a Hibred at the mo.

It has seen me through a lot of riding and will keep it for when out with the kids, which is what got me back on it :)

Hope to get it later in the week and will post some pics of it then :wink:
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    Sicknote - you could have had my Ralleigh 80's style racer for £50.00, its got 2 brand new tyres and innertubes in it and it rides great and looks the part. :D

I would have even delivered it! :lol:

I'm buying a brand new bike in the next couple of weeks so need to sell.
  • sicknote
    Thanks Soni but a little late now :wink:

I guess I will know how good or bad it is if it gets posted on wednesday fingers crossed :)
  • sicknote
    HI All

I got it today and have to say on whole I am happy with ( pics to come ) :D

It will need new brake blocks and gear cables plus new tires and inner tubes, not to forget a new chain.

It does not have to many paint chips, well not many at all but still dont know what make it is but I do know it is a steel frame but I am riding a bigger one now with my Saracen.

It also has SPD peddles which look usable for now, so on whole I dont think its to bad plus I could have had to do most of what I have to do to this one, if I had spent more.

Not to forget

IT fits me too :D:wink:
  • meagain
    IT fits me too

Certainly the key consideration! Enjoy!
    d.j.