Clothes and other cycling accesories

BenitoCarbone
BenitoCarbone Posts: 14
edited October 2008 in MTB general
So I was wondering if it's a mountain biking fashion faux pas to mix and match different manufactuers of cycling gear? could I wear a Specialized top or Helmet with a GT bike?

Comments

• Why not? I have a GT iDrive, Fox top, 661 gloves, Shimano shoes, Giro helmet, Camel back bag, Endura Shorts and a race face jacket to name but a few bits. its more about what works for you and what you like. Ive seen a few people who ONLY have the stuff that mach! My advice is go with what makes you comfortable.
    I didnt do it! I found it broken, honest!
  • Ok cool, I thought it would be like that but just wanted to make sure.

Could anyone tell me what the benefits of a mountain biking top are compared to a normal cycling jersey?
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    To me, a Mountain biking top would have a more relaxed fit than a regular fitted cycling jersey. All depends on what style you like to wear
  • But why would that be more beneficial??
  • A mountainbike specific top might have tougher material over the shoulders for wearing a backpack and on the elbows for protection. Most don't have silly little zip up pockets on the lower back either. I don't ride a road bike but I imagine that you need to move around on a mountainbike more. Some have MP3 player pockets on the sleeves or sunglasses wiping bits down by the waist.

It's mostly just image though. The baggier, more relaxed fit comes from the trend of mountainbike clothing and styling generally copying motocross. If you think of all the downhillers in their factory kit and full face helmets with visors who complain that the skinsuits they get made to wear each year at the World Champs are "not cool".

Many think that for mountainbiking to get more TV coverage and pull in big sponsors it needs to appear cool to the non cycling public who think that lycra clad cyclists look odd.

I think Baggier stuff just feels comfier to wear.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Wear what you think is comfortable, functional, and cool, don't worry about 'mountain bike fashion' set your own trends! 8)
    Things don't have to be cycling specific either, cycling specific often equates to pay twice as much
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • I'd have said if you had one same brand for every bit of clothing then that'd be sad....IE Speshialized helmet, glasses, gloves, top, shorts, socks and shoes....!!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    TBH i don't think anyone cares at all.

This ist really an elitest sport so you can get out there wearing what you like weather it is matching top end gear, or some shorts and a t-shirt from the bottom of your wardrobe.

Just use whatever is comfortable, affordable and you like the look of.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Alright, cheers guys. I'll buy whatever is on sale then :D
  • Thats the idea!
    I didnt do it! I found it broken, honest!
  • omaha
    omaha Posts: 120
    So I was wondering if it's a mountain biking fashion faux pas to mix and match different manufactuers of cycling gear? could I wear a Specialized top or Helmet with a GT bike?

who cares! if its comfy were it, on a bad day i hurt my own eyes with the colour clashes that i were, but i've got a nice pair off shades 8) , so it works out fine and if i have a bad spill mountain rescue will have no prob finding me! :lol::lol:
    a bike with round rubbery things
    another bike with springy bits on it
    another bike with too few gears
  • So I was wondering if it's a mountain biking fashion faux pas to mix and match different manufactuers of cycling gear? could I wear a Specialized top or Helmet with a GT bike?

Dude, really, is this a serious question?
    My On One Inbred and Com Meta 5.5.1:
    http://silly-lily.pinkbike.com/album/My-MTB/

www.sophialibris.com
    Academic Coaching and Advising Consultancy
  • Of course, I don't want the other guys to skoff at my outfit.
  • I don't care. Cheap Matalan ripstop shorts over Tesco's own padded cycle shorts (which are now half price folks, get 'em while they're hot), battered old trail shoes and whatever t-shirt I happen to put on. Who cares what you're wearing when you're clarted up to the eyeballs from hammering muddy trails?

It's like in the gym. Some folk seem to think it's a fashion show with all their nice gear. I look like the David Banner after he's stopped being the Hulk, all dirty and knackered clothes. I don't care, I'm there to work.

Same with walking. We'd done a massive circuit one late spring day in the hills above Ladybower, came down to the reservoir looking like creatures from the swamp, filthy and sweaty, and there's all these losers prancing about in their brand new and immaculate clothes, head to foot in Berghaus or Helly Hansen. Morons. Get off my trail.

It doesn't matter what you wear. The point, is that you ride. Not caring how I look lets me concentrate on what I'm doing, not wasting energy wondering if I'm kitted out right or whether or not people are judging me 'cos I've not got the right kit on.
    I am considerably more rock and roll than you.

Road. Mountain. Up hill and down dale...
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Of course, I don't want the other guys to skoff at my outfit.

I think you should worry more about getting out on your bike and ejoying yourself....

Im yet to meet 1 biker who has an attitude like that who thinks that everything must match and that you are a lower species if you dont have the right gear... get over it!

I dont know where this thought has come from, but seriously people, get out and ride and wear what you like and feel comfortable in.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Wear whatever you like. When it's covered in mud it makes no difference :)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    and whatever you do.....get thyself to LIDL on the next cycle stuff tour and grab some of their stuff. Its dirt cheap and is as good as any other coolmax type tops.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    cee wrote:
    and whatever you do.....get thyself to LIDL on the next cycle stuff tour and grab some of their stuff. Its dirt cheap and is as good as any other coolmax type tops.

I have the LIDL L/S Jersey in Black and my free Altura shorts from my magazine subscription! - You cant get much cheaper than that!

I think the biggest Faux Pas to make is to buy all the gear and look like a model out of the specialized catalogue only to find yourself pushing up hills and being a girl on anything technical, "All the gear and no idea" is probably the most embarassing situation to be in.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • jason31
    jason31 Posts: 40
    hey carlos what u done to ur craken i ride a banshee myself and yess i too look all dappa when i ride i must say sir!!!!!!