The best thing about your commute?

2»

Comments

• DCulley
    DCulley Posts: 13
    Best thing about the commute:

It used to be racing past the carpark that is Bury New Road in Manchester (even on the uphill climb home). Very smug I know but what can you do?

Now I have to make do with yelling at drivers for cutting me up (commute around Warwick now). Best thing now is knowing that it only has to be three miles when it's raining.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Best thing = the tailwind.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Possibly listening to the hum of my tyres on a nice piece of road or cycle path with a good rythm in my legs.

Hyde park is always nice, especially if you hit it at sun up with some mist on the ground with 100 blinged up queens guards practicing sword charges on the gallop atop steaming horses; spectacular.
  • prj45 wrote:
    Possibly listening to the hum of my tyres on a nice piece of road or cycle path with a good rythm in my legs.

Hyde park is always nice, especially if you hit it at sun up with some mist on the ground with 100 blinged up queens guards practicing sword charges on the gallop atop steaming horses; spectacular.

I miss cycling through Hyde Park in the morning.
  • avdave
    avdave Posts: 42
    Best thing - all but a mile is off road over the downs

Worst thing - the on road bit is Bear Road in Brighton and is the first thing I face when leaving work.
  • Honestly, the best bit's getting home (with £5 tube fare in my pocket). Ealing to Euston is a rubbish ride most days.
    Jonny
  • prj45

Is a detour not an option?

I've been giving it a miss recently as I head down to Embankment for a burn up the Thames.
  • prj45
    jstutters wrote:
    Honestly, the best bit's getting home (with £5 tube fare in my pocket). Ealing to Euston is a rubbish ride most days.

Ah, somebody else that needs to take a detour!
  • Bagman
    Bagman Posts: 311
    Quiet backroad commute (28 miles each way) when sunny but cold and mist hanging low over the fields. Loads of wildlife and a feeling of being away from the ratrace for 3 hrs a day - FANTASTIC!!!!! :D:D
  • prj45 wrote:

Is a detour not an option?

I've been giving it a miss recently as I head down to Embankment for a burn up the Thames.

Not in the mornings sadly, I'm very bad at getting out of bed, and have a very precise timeframe for my Ealing to Kensington run!
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    Going the long way on what's already a 16 mile trip so that I can cycle along the Solent sea front for a while. Now that it's getting towards dusk as I pass by I get a handy protein top-up from the gnats, too.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Not being in a tube / bus / train / car *

*delete as appropriate
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Filtering up the slip road between the long lines of cars and thinking ha ha suckers!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • chaley
    chaley Posts: 100
    The best bit for me is overtaking my assistant manager every morning and knowing that he has just spent £,000's on his new car ( it's got blar, blar and do da and SHUT UP!! I don't care.) to sit in a long line of traffic ( sucker!), that and knowing that Alex will have the kettle on and a couple of custard creams out for me, bless him.
    Chaley
    2009 langster

Blasphemy is the only victimless crime
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I think most of my "best bits" have already been picked off - I'm not on PT or stuck in my car, feeling much more awake when I get to work, it's brilliant exercise, I love whipping past all those poor sods in their tin boxes, it saves me time - heck even on the few occasion's its a bit quicker to get the train I'd much rather cycle!

I think the top reason tho is that I love cycling - I love how connected I am with my surroundings when out on my bike. It's a much more physical experience then driving, not least because I'm powering myself along, but because I'm open to my surroundings I can sense what is going on around me better. On my bike I've become accustomed to listening for danger as well as looking for it. In my car I don't have that luxury so I feel trapped and disconnected.

Another great thing is that my commute can change from week to week as I move around different sites, just today I was heading somewhere new - I can now add Wandsworth Bridge to my list of crossings and found out how nice it is riding down the one way streets around K&C, there's so much room :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Getting back on the bike again to commute this week, after several months away from it, have reminded why I love it (even taking account of the sore sitbones)...
      Riding alongside the river and then over it via Cobden bridge Being able to take several quiet roads that would be impossible to use by car, due to ballards and anti "rat-run" barriers Avoiding more traffic lights that can hold me up on my normal car commute route Enjoying the scenery through Southampton Common Arriving at work and my bike getting admiring looks from staff/volunteers
    Arriving at work in a much more alert state than I would otherwise, especially in the winter months, due to some symptoms of my S.A.D.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daver1
    daver1 Posts: 78
    The best bit of my commute is the 1km downhill where I get up to 60km/hour followed by a 1.5km easy hill which I take slow as I look out over Sydney Harbour. I would take a picture to post but I'm going on holiday to Byron Bay for a week to enjoy the spring weather here (35 degrees today). Oh and I should add that I didn't have to go to the office today so I'm sitting at a table in the shade at Manly Beach typing this.