Cadence - should I train to achieve a higher one

Shavedlegs
Shavedlegs Posts: 310
A few people have mentioned to me that I use a low cadence when racing. I didn't think too much of it, but it has been said a few times now. It doesn't seem to affect my peformance as I often place pretty high and have been known to win.

However, I've noticed that everyone who has held the world hour record has done so at a cadence of 100.

Is it possible that there is a 'perfect' cadence? So should I train to achieve this magical cadence of 100.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    What are you at now? >70 is probably fine depending on your physiology. Cadence is personal.

I went out with this dude today, I was at 95rpm and he made me look like I was pedalling real slow :shock:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I don't know to be honest. I race without a computer of any sort. I go by feel, which isn't very scientific nor do I claim to be more in touch with body than anyone else. I just don't have a computer.

I find it strange that people have mentioned my cadence, and that every hour record has been set at the same cadence.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Why worry about it if you are getting good results?

The only thing I'd say could be a problem when using larger gears than the rest of the bunch is that if someone attacks it may take you longer to respond if you have to wind the gear up.

If it really bothers you, do some track racing where you need to be able to spin and still produce power to be sucessful. Your pedalling style will change accordingly.
  • Shavedlegs wrote:
    Is it possible that there is a 'perfect' cadence?
    No.

Cadence is an outcome of the power you produce, the resistance forces acting against you and the gear you happen to be in.

Just focus on the power/how hard you are riding and ride the gear that feels right for you. Cadence will just come along for the ride and will vary as your fitness changes (or when you decide to change cog).

Remember we don't have infinitely variable gearboxes on our bikes, so our cadence must change if we produce more or less power.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    2008 BBAR champion he does`nt do cadencs
    208023_2_NikB2Forum.jpg
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    sub55 wrote:
    2008 BBAR champion he does`nt do cadencs
    Now that's what I call a chainring! :shock:

It does seem quite common for triathletes and time-triallists to be in a bigger gear than the rest of the bunch when they ride road races. Not sure it makes too much difference, but as I said before, using smaller gears makes it easier to "jump".