£800 budget

Chris267
Chris267 Posts: 22
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
Need a new bike. because i race mx i cant afford to spend to much on a mountain bike. looking for something "all mountain" like?

give me ur ideas please

Cheers
Chris

Comments

• xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Hardtail or fullsuspension?
    I found this at CRC, NS Bikes Core I 2008 with Marz 55R 140mm front.
    Or a fs but for 850 like the GT Ruckus I-Drive Flowta.
  • Decent full sus or a really good HT

?
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • thirty1
    thirty1 Posts: 75
    I would agree with Black Spur, that bike is great value! Brodie make some really nice bikes and they have a great Canadian pedigree.

the guys from Brodie were at Glentress at the weekend on a demo day and i believe they have some great deals on ex demo bikes.

I know they have an ex demo baku in small for £800 (I know the guys at progressive Bikes) hardly used, and the retail on the bike is £1499 or something like.

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/baku.html
  • a small would be far to small for me standing at 6'2 haha
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Chris, they had a Brodie Mettle on demo which i think they are selling for about £800. It is a large size (19") So would be ideal for your height.

See here http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/mettle.html
  • hitchen92
    hitchen92 Posts: 264
    Coming from experience, you'll get a good hardtail for that kind of money, as opposed to a full-sus for that money, which you will find has cheap parts etc. Unless you are considering something used or an ex-demo.
  • Ok, going to go for a HT i think, seen this : http://www.factorydirectbikes.com/bikes ... 50-d_2008/

seems a pretty decent HT and not to soft?
  • xtreem
    It's a trail bike, a sort of light all mountain bike. But it's good.
    Similar bike with better fork: GT Aggressor Elite
  • 5xcr
    5xcr Posts: 195
    if you want all mountain f/s, take a look at halfords website for gt i-drive 5 xcr, great bike for under £800.

spend it wisely , 5xcr :P
    12hr days 5 days a week riding to work and back and still the energy to ride 2 other days
  • 5xcr wrote:
    if you want all mountain f/s, take a look at halfords website for gt i-drive 5 xcr, great bike for under £800.

spend it wisely , 5xcr :P

Do you have one of these? if so whats ur thoughts on them?
  • Xtreem wrote:
    It's a trail bike, a sort of light all mountain bike. But it's good.
    Similar bike with better fork: GT Aggressor Elite

Dont fancy that GT frame is to normal looking for me, yea its daft but i prefer a diff looking frame than that :lol:
  • xtreem
    I understand mate. You want something rare, unique but also good.
    The GT was just a suggestion. But the Meridal looks very nice too.
  • Xtreem wrote:

I wasnt shooting down your suggestion though. just seen alot of them recently so like something diff. cheers
  • Xtreem wrote:

I wasnt shooting down your suggestion though. just seen alot of them recently so like something diff. cheers
  • 5xcr
    5xcr Posts: 195
    hi chris, the gt i-drive 5 xcr is a great bike for the money and yes i do have one, hence the name. mine is fitted with xt rear mech,deore shifters,hayes nine brakes, rockshox recon uturn fork 85-130mm travel and ario2.1rear shock. So, excellant kit for the money. I have had mine for a year and other than cleaning and lubing have only had one problem,although this was caused by a small child pulling front brake when the wheel was out which cost me £25 to have bled. so, great reliability. the ride is great too with the susspension adjustability helping climbs and desents. you wont regret it if you get one of these, as you can upgrade saddle, seatpost, grips etc as and when you can afford it if you want too .

spend it wisely! 5xcr :P
    12hr days 5 days a week riding to work and back and still the energy to ride 2 other days