cycle to work and condor bikes

ram038
ram038 Posts: 187
edited October 2008 in Workshop
My company is signing up to C2W scheme with Halfords. Just been on the condor website and lo and behold it appears i can get a bike from them. I checked the spec of sub £1000 Condor bikes and they are equiped with tiagra. I can get a sub £1000 with 105 from elsewhere. Can you Condor lovers convince me as to why I should buy a Condor road bike..

Comments

• method
    method Posts: 784
    No. Go for the better groupset, a frame is a frame is a frame, just find one that fits. Planet-x Dura Ace for £999 for example.
  • Bern.
    Bern. Posts: 58
    Sorry to disagree, but a frame is not just a frame
    BERNIN RUBBER
  • method
    True, but fit is the most important thing and that being equal I'd pick a bike with the higher groupset. Plus you're not exactly unbiased in this topic are you.
  • ram038
    method wrote:
    True, but fit is the most important thing and that being equal I'd pick a bike with the higher groupset. Plus you're not exactly unbiased in this topic are you.

Does Bern work for Condor then.
    I would go for the 105 groupset but it is 50 quid over the limit set by C2W. would Condor do a deal?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've never heard the 'frame is just a frame' thing before...

The frame is the heart of the bike. The groupset is just accessories - to be replaced when they wear out. Woulld you ride faster on a DA groupset vs Ultegra ? I doubt it.

I dont work for Condor though.
  • method
    I think so, I'm not knocking Condor or their bikes, but £1050 for an aluminium frame with carbon rear end is a bit pricey. If you like the Condor brand then that's fine, but you are paying a premium for it. Compare their version of the Dedacciai Nero Corsa frame from 2007 to someone like Ribble or Dolan for an example.
  • method
    cougie wrote:
    I've never heard the 'frame is just a frame' thing before...

The frame is the heart of the bike. The groupset is just accessories - to be replaced when they wear out. Woulld you ride faster on a DA groupset vs Ultegra ? I doubt it.

I dont work for Condor though.

The difference between one rebadged carbon frame from Asia and another, there isn't a lot in it these days. I'm sure there are bad frames still around, but the difference between top and bottom end these days is a lot smaller than 10 years ago. As long as its stiff enough and fits you well. I'd be surprised if there was much difference if any in quality between a £500 carbon frame and a £1000 frame. If you're after a steel frame, then that may well be different.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah - I guess you have a point if we are just talking about rebadged frames. If you look at the pics of the Worlds Womens TT - the bike that won looks an awful lot like a Planet X frame - but I'd wager it costs a fair bit more.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    method wrote:
    No. Go for the better groupset, a frame is a frame is a frame, just find one that fits. Planet-x Dura Ace for £999 for example.

Bad news, Planet-X stopped doing Cyclescheme (due to a "system incompatibility" according to Cyclescheme) and Halfords C2W last week, and their Dura Ace build went up from £999 to £1198.99. Planet-X now use another company - On Your Bike.

Ribble do Cyclescheme, but 1) they were extremely off-hand (rude, really) when I phoned to enquire, and 2) they charge a £50 surcharge - I didn't want to give them my money even though I fancied the Nero Corsa.
  • ram038
    hlafords rep came to our office today to explain the Cycle to Work scheme to us. He rode a Boardman Comp but was pushing the Condor Bikes in his sales pitch. Said I could get the build components modified to get under the £1000 mark. Has anyone got the Italia or Acciaio , are they good quality bikes?
  • freebs
    freebs Posts: 199
    Get a Boardman Road Team for £900. Top bike.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    ram038 wrote:
    hlafords rep came to our office today to explain the Cycle to Work scheme to us. He rode a Boardman Comp but was pushing the Condor Bikes in his sales pitch. Said I could get the build components modified to get under the £1000 mark. Has anyone got the Italia or Acciaio , are they good quality bikes?
    I haven't got one, but I would like one! They have a reputation as very good bikes, pricier maybe than the mainstream brands, but fully customisable, and British designed, Italian built frames. Pound for pound you may get better spec elsewhere, but you get something a little bit different and a little bit special. And I am a sucker for steel bikes (the Acciaio).
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    A frame is not just a frame, it's the most important part of the bike for gods sake!

Method is correct when he states the fit is as important, yes but the 'package' ie choice of wheels, groupset, and finishing kit is superfluous.
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    Get a Condor. I have a Squadra that I bought five years ago for general riding and its been great. I ordered a Classico about a month ago from them which is a lovely old school steel frame. They may be a bit more expensive but they have soul as they are Italian. It will be a bike to cherish.
  • Beardy10
    Beardy10 Posts: 115
    I have a Condor Baracchi which I bought this year and I love. You will get a semi bespoke bike from Condor which will be fitted to you...well as long as you buy directly from them. So the handlebars/stem etc will be the right length/angle/width for you for no extra cost....I imagine that is hard to do with a Boardman bike.

Admittedly I would want 105 on a bike as I think that's the groupset which offer the best bang for buck in the Shimano range....so that is a little over the £1000 limit.

The other thing you can do with Condor is get some hadbuilt wheels rather than factory builts that come as standard....if you are using the bike for commuting the likely extra durability, better ride and ease of service makes that very important in my mind. That would swing it for me.

I specced handbuilts on my Baracchi which were cheaper than the standard wheels it came with....they're fantastic. Condor have a very good reputation as a wheel builder. Definitely worth looking into.

I dont work for Condor either!