Merino Long Sleeve Base Layers

snarff
snarff Posts: 3
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I've bought a L and XL Merino wool base layer top, and not sure which is the one to keep. The L size is very tight, but feels a bit TOO snug. The XL feels more comfy, but is a bit 'crinkly' on my arms/armpits although not really what I'd call baggy.

I'm not sure how these base layers work so wonder if I'm supposed to go for the tightest fit possible, while still retaining the ability to breathe out, or if the fit just needs to be comfortable.

It's probably a naff question to ask, but I don't know how important the fit is. It's an Endura BaaBaa, by the way.

Also, I assume that I need to wear a layer on top of the base which will also allow moisture to dissapate, and ordinary cotton T-shirts are NO GOOD - Is that right? If so are there any T-shirt types that work, but don't stink to high heaven after an hour's use!?

Cheers,
Snarff

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    A base layer is used to transport perspiration away from your skin and so they have to be a snug fit. Bacteria doesn't attach itself to the fibres in merino wool so wiffs shouldn't be too much of a problem but anything synthetic will need regular torching in the washer to stop it becoming offensive. Avoid cotton and denim over base layers, once they get wet they stay wet.
  • Thanks for that. I suppose I'll just have to breathe in beore putting it on!
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    it'll feel tight and weird if you're not used to them but not uncomfortably tight, umm snugg all over really and taking them off is a bit of a struggle. after a season riding in them you'll prolly get used to it and it'll stop feeling too tight, least mine did. maybe they stretch after awile i think too.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    snarff wrote:
    Thanks for that. I suppose I'll just have to breathe in beore putting it on!
    Well, breathing is important and if your base layer is genuinely restrictive maybe think about another one from a different manufacturer. Some cycling-specific base layers are cut for whispy roadie types and they're not roomy enough for us big tough MTBers :wink:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    dunker wrote:
    it'll feel tight and weird if you're not used to them but not uncomfortably tight, umm snugg all over really and taking them off is a bit of a struggle. after a season riding in them you'll prolly get used to it and it'll stop feeling too tight, least mine did. maybe they stretch after awile i think too.

Iv'e ridden in mine for 6 days in a row, but a whole season???? It was prolly difficult to get off because it was attached to your skin???

:lol::lol::wink::wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    well it's merino is'nt it, they never smell :wink:

hehe looking at it again it reads like that does'nt it :lol: