Commuting with panniers advice

DCulley
DCulley Posts: 13
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
For the last two years I have commuted by bike using a rucksack to carry all my stuff. As I am know fed up of this and everyone recommends panniers I am looking for some advive.

My bike has disk breaks - will I need a specially designed rack or should any fit?

Any recommendations on racks and panniers would be appreciated - Would like to do the whole lot for under £60, could possibly stretch to £80 (rack and panniers).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I would take it to your LBS and ask them what they think. Could you post some pics of the rear end of your bike?

I can't see any real reason why disc brakes should stop you getting a pannier rack, but could be wrong!
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Carry less and get a seat post mounted bag (a small one).
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Wiggle do a Lifeline Rear Disc Rack that will fit a disc brake equipped bike for about £23. My partner toured with it and it was fine. Topeak do one for £30 ish. For panniers I recommend the Ortlieb Back Roller Classics, £70 from Spa Cycles, pricey but strong, totally waterproof, easy to fit, used by expedition tourers the world over. They will last many years (they have a 5 year guarantee), though spares are readily available, plus repair kits should you be exceptionally rough with them! Buy cheap, buy twice.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    edited September 2008
    I second Ortlieb panniers, they are amazing, totally waterproof and they do spare parts through their online store for every single bit of the bag and mounting system. So if, for example, you were on the way into work this morning and happened to perform a slightly clumsy manoeuvre just south of Mitcham town centre that resulted in you tearing off your right pannier and shearing one of the plastic mounts straight off then you would be able to have a new plastic mount ordered and on its way to you within a few minutes of sitting down at your desk.

Just for example, like. In no way has this just happened to me on my commute today. I'm not that clumsy at all ;)

You won't regret spending the extra money if you can possibly stretch to it.
  • the easiest and most hassle free way to deal with your conundrum is to book it into your LBS and get them to sort it out!
  • DCulley
    Thanks for all the information. As luck would have it I rang a LBS yesterday to find that they were closing down for good that afternoon. Nipped down there and got most of what I needed at a knockdown price; Topeak disk brake compatible rack, Altura waterproof laptop pannier, smaller rack top bag and even a pair of SPD MTB shoes. Whole lot came to £80! Wish I had found it sooner and spread the word.

Having looked at the Ortleibs they do look good. Will definitly consider them when I want to upgrade.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Where are you???? Is there anyone else nearby that can take advantage?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DCulley
    I'm in Leamington Spa. The shop shut it's doors at 5pm yesterday (30th September) unfortunately. I didn't find out until 4pm so didn't have time to post anything. If I ever see anything similar I will be sure to do so. I expect alot of their surplus stock will be on ebay soon.
  • DCulley
    I'm in Leamington Spa. The shop shut it's doors at 5pm yesterday (30th September) unfortunately. I didn't find out until 4pm so didn't have time to post anything. If I ever see anything similar I will be sure to do so. I expect alot of their surplus stock will be on ebay soon.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    k. Could you post some pics of the rear end of your bike?

Ooooh, Kinky. :shock: