Feeling sorry for myself.

lost-time
lost-time Posts: 549
edited October 2008 in MTB general
My main ride is having some TLC in the LBS but is not ready yet. I have nice new tyres AND some limited edition Hope mono4s to fit to it. Not sure if I'll get it back today and if I do I may not have time fit my bits before my ride this afternoon. I'm like a kid at christmas waiting to unwrap the presents!

And.....I've torn my carteledge in my left knee so even if I do get my bike back I may not be able to ride it. :evil:

I tried riding my HT the other night and it was too painful on the knee so am hoping the FS will be a little easier on it. Also the anti-inflamatories should be kicking in. At least the Doc has said I can still ride albeit 'taking it easy'. If it doesn't clear up I'll have to have a scan to see if there is any wear in the joint/surrounding area. Suddenly at nearly 34yo I'm feeling old and crippled :cry: :roll:

Oh well.

Paul

Comments

• I sympathise with both issues matey, I know the feeling having new bits and not being able to fit them, but it's usually my fault for ordering wrong sizes or something :oops:

And just recently I've started having knee issues too. Starts aching on a ride and for the next 2 or 3 days I'm in bloody agaony. I may be 30 and wearing out as it were, but when it comes to medical issues I still have the mentality of a teenager and hope it'll go away on its own :lol::lol:

Hope the knee gets better dude, and even if you don't get the bits fitted in time there's always the next ride :wink:
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • Did you get the Meta back in time? Nice brakes! What size front rotor did you go for? I'm thinking of getting those once i get a new frame, so i'll be interested what you think of them.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Knees seem to start giving people problems at our age (I'm 37). Mine are OK most of the time but can suddenly collapse on me when climbing a style (not good when carrying a bike).

Worth getting them checked out if you have problems, my wife has had one of her knees done at 35 and it's made a huge difference, Going to get the other sorted asap.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    I'm 44. Can get knee problems too if I don't keep em warm...hence bib tights at anything below about 10 celcius. Without left knee starts to ache bloody aweful.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • off-one
    off-one Posts: 155
    Im 38 and had terrible knee problems in my youth, but they are fine now. They even stand up to singlespeeding, but dont get me started on backs.
    Hope your knee mends soon I know what your going through, I broke my thumb the day before picking up a new bike.
  • Cheers guys. Hopefully the knee prob is a one off as I've never had probs with them before, not even a twinge.

Andy, I went for 183mm rotors front and rear like what I'm running now. Anything bigger up front and you need to start freeriding!
  • generally I always get knee niggles checked by my pet sports physio...

Too many issues can present as knee pain so I like to be safe, pain after exercise is not a good sign, get it checked to be sure as it might be easily preventable before it gets worse, particularly if it is caused by muscle inbalances.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Like you, I split the cartlidge (meniscus) in my knee whilst at the same time giving my medial cruciate a slight tear (ooooooooofoofinyaah!) and it hurt. A lot.

Remember anti-inflammitories is just a doctor word for ibuprofen...and are good at reducing swelling, but are not in anyway going to fix the cart.

I would be taking it easy for a week or so until it feels better then testing it out gently.

Knees and backs eh.....the scourge of the circa-30 year old....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • lost-time wrote:
    Cheers guys. Hopefully the knee prob is a one off as I've never had probs with them before, not even a twinge.

Andy, I went for 183mm rotors front and rear like what I'm running now. Anything bigger up front and you need to start freeriding!
    I love my 203 front rotor. The weight difference isn't noticable and i love the fact that even in places like Afan it never fades at all, like the old 185 did going down a relatively long hill in Dover once. Do you remember the time when you squirted water out of your Camelback onto your disc's and created your own outdoor sauner, well i had no front brake whatsoever by the bottom of that hill!

Anyway, i am joining you in the "feeling sorry for myself" club. Was riding home from work last night and was just fooking about down Summerfield Avenue, jumping off the cirbs and doing really tight turns all over the road when i lost the front end, falling to the right and landing realy hard onto my right knee! Must have landed on a stone, as i had a nice puncture wound and could see the underlying tissue moving around underneith through the hole :shock: I thought i could see bone at first, but that was just me being a drama queen :roll: So, instead of going riding with Nick and Russ in Surry today, i am sitting here contenplating wheather or not to go to the A&E in Margate to get it x-rayed, as it bloody hurts when i push down on the kneecap and when going up and down stairs. What do you guy's reccon, am i being paranoid or should i play it safe and get it looked at? The annoying thing is i was at the minor injuries unit for about 2 hours last night and despite me saying about 4 times i mainly want the knee joint itself looking at, all he did was sort the cut. I was so board and hungry at this point though i couldn't be arsed and just wanted to go home!

I'm off to go shout at myself for being so BLOODY STUPID!! again now, then i'll probably have a little sulk :(
  • cee wrote:
    Like you, I split the cartlidge (meniscus) in my knee whilst at the same time giving my medial cruciate a slight tear (ooooooooofoofinyaah!) and it hurt. A lot.

Remember anti-inflammitories is just a doctor word for ibuprofen...and are good at reducing swelling, but are not in anyway going to fix the cart.

I would be taking it easy for a week or so until it feels better then testing it out gently.

Knees and backs eh.....the scourge of the circa-30 year old....

Ouch! Mine nearly brought a few tears to my eyes!

I did mine at work and is nothing to do with cycling. I hope it will heal ok.

The pills I'm on have different ingrediants to ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is only a mild NSAID where as these ones I'm on a somewhat stronger :lol: Hopefully it was just the twisting action thats caused my tear as I've had ne previous probs with my knees. If probs persist after the pills run out then it's off to the MRI scanner to check things out further.

Paul
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I'm just getting into my 30's and i'm starting to feel the odd ping in my knee's and the small of my back, I'm trying to be proactive about it. I do the odd sit-up a night to try to keep my core strong to help my back and take Glocosamine & Chondroitin / Fish Oil tablets to keep the old joints strong and lubed.

I'm waiting for my new shifters to arrive, bought a pair on ebay from differnt sellers, the right has turned up, but the left is still AWOL. Still can't complain, new '08 X9's in a box, £15 for the front, £17 for the rear.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    PJ, are they shifters or derailleurs that you're referring to? As I want some! :o

Currently - I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I was on Sunday when I tore my leg open on a trail thanks to the odd piece of tree! :cry:
  • cee
    lost-time wrote:

Ouch! Mine nearly brought a few tears to my eyes!

I did mine at work and is nothing to do with cycling. I hope it will heal ok.

The pills I'm on have different ingrediants to ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is only a mild NSAID where as these ones I'm on a somewhat stronger :lol: Hopefully it was just the twisting action thats caused my tear as I've had ne previous probs with my knees. If probs persist after the pills run out then it's off to the MRI scanner to check things out further.

Paul

Diclofenac by any chance?? Had those puppies too, along with a whole bunch of the big boy 500/30 cocode and some 5mg diazepam for night time (apparently valium are anti-spasmodics.....to be honest they just turned my brain to moosh!)

Mine was also caused by a twisting injury....leg all tangled up in the bike during a big tumble....all better now though.....my best advice....do whatever the physio tells you....every session I had, they said how obvious it was that I was doing the stuff, because it was healing as they expected. I got their OK to push the excersises up a bit, so that I could hold some of the muscle....after a couple of months in a leg brace, then a couple more on crutches, the muscle waste was very visible....scary stuff.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    missmarple wrote:
    PJ, are they shifters or derailleurs that you're referring to? As I want some! :o

Currently - I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I was on Sunday when I tore my leg open on a trail thanks to the odd piece of tree! :cry:

Sounds painfull, I have a very slightly burnt arse at the moment, it's a little embarasing. Was riding the Mojo on Sunday at Cwmcarn it's loose as hell at the moment and I was having a little trouble getting enough speed to clear the bridge. thought "sod it" and and bounced as hard as I could off the end to try to clear it, ended up landing very nose high. Arse made contact with the rear tyre. Didn't crash or go through my shorts or anything, just got very warm. Got a little heat/fiction burn on each cheek. :lol:

As for the new X9's they're sifters. Not from an eBay shop I'm afraid. They're second-hand / as new. The front was orignally fitted to some kinda tandem! But the dude was having trouble seeing what gear he was in so removed it straight away. The rear someone bought as a backup but never fitted it. Have a shop around, I found loads to choose from.
  • lost-time
    lost-time Posts: 549
    cee wrote:

Diclofenac by any chance??

Yep. those are they. The pain side of things is subsiding each day but there is a constant ache. It didn't help at work yesterday when I had to go out driving instead of the light duties I was supposed to do. Bearing in mind it was at work when it happened :roll:
  • cee
    That achy feeling lasted quite a while for me, even after I was back on the bike. Still get niggles that feel achy, so think thats gonna be with me for life.

hohum..

H.G. Wells.