Wilier Mortirolo Mirage 2008 £999, buy? or look elsewhere?

oxymoron
oxymoron Posts: 54
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

Im finally going to buy a proper bike this week. Should I buy the above seeing as the cayo is out of stock on 56cm frames. I also was looking at the PLanet X site, but there carbon bike is out of price range and I get totally confused when I try and build a custom bike.

Anyway, is the willier a good buy? Considering I am 16 and a half stone :( should I just get a Focus Variado 2008 @ £615, which sounds "fat boy proof" after reading the wiggle review.

I dunno what to do, I have lost 2 stone this summer but dont wanna buy something to crap as I wanna push on at cycling and not always have the lower end stuff.

Hope that makes sense :)

What do people recommend?

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    the mortirolo deserves better than mirage IMHO.

far from crap : http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/mortirolo-08-28034
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    You can always get to Epic and tell them to upgrade it Veloce or better and pay a bit more :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • oxymoron wrote:
    Hi,

Im finally going to buy a proper bike this week. Should I buy the above seeing as the cayo is out of stock on 56cm frames. I also was looking at the PLanet X site, but there carbon bike is out of price range and I get totally confused when I try and build a custom bike.

Anyway, is the willier a good buy? Considering I am 16 and a half stone :( should I just get a Focus Variado 2008 @ £615, which sounds "fat boy proof" after reading the wiggle review.

I dunno what to do, I have lost 2 stone this summer but dont wanna buy something to crap as I wanna push on at cycling and not always have the lower end stuff.

Hope that makes sense :)

What do people recommend?

but dont wanna buy something too crap as I wanna push on

Well first of all the Focus isn't crap, it's a great bike. However if you can afford the Wilier then get it; it is a better frame and is far more upgradeable in the long run. I've actually owned both (bike genesis goes Spesh Allez - Foucs Variado - Wilier Mortirolo - Pinarello Prince!), and I really like both the Focus and the Wilier. You won't go wrong with either bike whatever you decide. I sold my Mortirolo Centaur for £1000, the lucky sod got a right bargain.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I sold my Mortirolo Centaur for £1000, the lucky sod got a right bargain.

:o :shock:

mine was almost double that with upgrades and whatnot!!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • I wasnt saying the variado was crap, I think I worded it poorly. I wanted to say the Variado is a good specced bike, one Im sure I will love riding. But is say something like the wilier worth an extra £400? Given that im not the most slim or fittest currently. Although that is improving.

I just didnt wanna blow £600 now then wish come June when im skinny again that I had bought that £1000 full carbon ultrega/velocre bike.

I am fixed on the wilier purely because it loks so sexy if im honest.
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    oxymoron wrote:
    I am fixed on the wilier purely because it loks so sexy if im honest.

Which, at the end of the day, is as good a reason to buy a bike as any!
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • I have the Wilier Izoard and bought it purely on looks. Also when out on the road you don't see too many which makes it a bit special. Bought it off Epic and specced to my style. The lad did say the motirolo was an excellent frame and also has the same geomotry as the Izoard.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Get the Wilier and then fit some 2009 10 speed campag shifters and it would be a very very fine bike.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    I have an Izoard and am just under 16 st and have had no problems in that sense.

I too bought it for cosmetic reasons..you don't see any around where I live :)