recipe books for energy/recovery bars, gels and/or powder

jr39
jr39 Posts: 4
hi all,
a bit of a long shot,
basically, because im a student, and cant really afford to use commercial products every week, im looking for a recipe book for energy/recovery food/liquid
does anyone know where i can get one from? i tried in waterstones, and amazon, but i couldnt find anything
any ideas?
thanks

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Why do you need recipes? You can eat bananas, malt loaf, fig rolls and honey sandwiches on the bike and when you get home have a drink of milk with beans on toast or a jacket potato with tuna or cottage cheese. You will maintain your energy levels and have as good recovery from these as from any specific sports products.

Ruth
  • Jungli
    Jungli Posts: 201
    I've recently been trying out a home made recovery drink and seems to be working out fine. Much more tasty than the commercial ones as well.

I use 600ml of skimmed milk and add 50g of Ovaltine (original) and a couple of sweetners.

Ends up being about 75g of CHO and 25 ish gms of protein which is about right for my weight etc.

Yummy! :D
  • you can make up flapjacks very cheaply too - these are a very good alternative to energy bars :D without all the emulsifiers and preservatives too. simple and quick to make. loads of recipes on the net. you can add dried fruit and seeds too if you like. 8)
    We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies - it is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire
  • try psychovertical.com, it has gel making recipies somewhere. The difficult thing with homemade gel is what to put it in. Malto dextrin for drinks etc is available from brewing supplers I think.

Happy cooking
  • 3leggeddog wrote:
    try psychovertical.com, it has gel making recipies somewhere. The difficult thing with homemade gel is what to put it in. Malto dextrin for drinks etc is available from brewing supplers I think.

Happy cooking

Home-made gel recipe:

1. Honey

Err.. that's it ...
  • Anderl
    Anderl Posts: 70
    Maltodextrin is the basic ingredient in all energy drinks and also makes up the bulk in recovery drinks. It can be bought dirt cheap from a lot of mail order companies such as myprotein.
    Personally I make up my own stuff using 2/3 to 1/3 maltodextrin and fructose. I also add salt and low-salt ( potassium and salt ). A swigger of fresh juice for taste and you have a really inexpensive energy drink.
    The bigger the bulk you buy the cheaper. You could order together with a few mates and share the stuff if you don't use big quantities.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders ... todextrin/

Energy drink
    50/50 maltodextrine/dextrose here-also use Lo Salt and a splash of apple juice

For a recovery drink
    40% Impact Whey (80% protein)
    40% malto dextrine
    20% dextrose
    Mix with semi skimmed milk and vanilla pod or coooa

Endurance
    50% maltodextrine
    25% dextrose
    25% Impact Whey
    Mix with skimmed milk

all work out around 1/3 SIS prices, with no nasties either

Finally, do try to eat real food in preference-nothing like ham/tuna sandwiches for recovery or sardines on toast

Dried meat works on the bike for me....might not suit everyone
    Honey is sold in France in squirty bottles with really well sealed tops
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • jr39
    jr39 Posts: 4
    thanks so far for all your posts, keep it coming
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    i tried this, with sis rego,need a big food processor
    http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=139

just another one with a video, probably a lot easier to understand
    http://smarterfitter.com/blog/2007/11/2 ... tein-bars/
    2789891089_6f6615f364_b.jpg