Which bike?

Alexb01
Alexb01 Posts: 15
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
Hi,

To give a bit of background I am 16 years old and a keen cyclist. I got into cycling properly when I started riding on the road 3 or 4 years ago. Up till now I have used a cheapish MTB which I find annoyingly sluggish and heavy (especially when carrying round Marble Arch subway system!!!). I try and cycle as much as possible both for travel and pleasure. I use to cycle to school but got a bit lazy now my bag got heavier etc (but want to start again!)... With 99% of my journeys zipping round London's roads a MTB seems totally useless.

Anyway I'm looking into getting a new bike. Given that I have never used a road bike before I'm thinking of staying away from drop bars as I prefer a more relaxed stance while cycling. I'm looking to pay up to somewhere in the £500 region. I've been doing a bit of research and at the moment the bike that seems ideal is the Specialized Sirrus (in particular probably the Specialized Sirrus Comp - which if I get a 2008 model I can get for about £500).

I would welcome any commments on the Specialized Sirrus or equally any other suggestions for bikes.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I think you should test ride some bikes with drops and try all the hand positions available - See what you think then. personally I find riding on the hoods gives me to combination of control, comfort and a racy position that I prefer and there aren't any obvious sacrifices vs flat bars that I can think of.

The Sirrus is a perfectly decent bike and if you can get a deal on it it could be a good choice.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I would second trying some drops - they are very versatile and have come a long way in recent years. I find min every comfy for any journey and find I have good control. No idea about the bik eyou mentioned but you shoudl see what a good LBS will let you road test - mine lets me take anything out as long as I leave some security :)
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome