Complaint with the police

Special K
Special K Posts: 449
edited October 2008 in The bottom bracket
I have a minor complaint with the police and I would like some advice either from solicitors on this forum or from those in similar situation who have pursued a case.

The problem is this:

Earlier this year we were burgled. Extremely upsetting as you can imagine. One of the suspects left blood from a cut in the house. This was tested and a person found, arrested but not charged pending further investigation of his story.

In the meantime, three months elapsed before the police interviewed the only eye witness who saw them leave. And as far as I know, the CPS has not recommended a charge. I don't know because the police officer does not answer emails or return calls.

I have my suspicions as to why this isn't top of their list. However, what would be really helpful would be any experience that people have had of pursuing the police. Not sure about Police Complaints Commimssion and what to expect so any helpful advice gratefully received.
"There are holes in the sky,
Where the rain gets in.
But they're ever so small
That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan

Comments

• Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    First of all right to the relevant commissioner and then to the PCC copying the commissioner in. It's unlikely to amount to much but might at least get you a bit more feedback. If the police have decided that there is not enough evidence to prosecute they should at least tell you that (although they will not go into specifics) but where there is strong DNA evidence there should be a strong cas. There could be any manner of reasons as to why things have gone quiet, other priorities, they could still be investigating other possible offences committed by the scumbag (sorry, that should be "suspect"), he may also be an informant so they are reluctant to prosecute. In any case the ignorant copper should return your calls. For that there's no excuse
  • Special K wrote:
    I have a minor complaint with the police and I would like some advice either from solicitors on this forum or from those in similar situation who have pursued a case.

The problem is this:

Earlier this year we were burgled. Extremely upsetting as you can imagine. One of the suspects left blood from a cut in the house. This was tested and a person found, arrested but not charged pending further investigation of his story.

In the meantime, three months elapsed before the police interviewed the only eye witness who saw them leave. And as far as I know, the CPS has not recommended a charge. I don't know because the police officer does not answer emails or return calls.

I have my suspicions as to why this isn't top of their list. However, what would be really helpful would be any experience that people have had of pursuing the police. Not sure about Police Complaints Commimssion and what to expect so any helpful advice gratefully received.

The police service has a duty to keep you updated and this is set out in the victims charter, which every police officer had to complete... and a mighty tedious piece of tom foolery that is/was, any how it is the duty of the officer in the case to update you within certain specified periods, for a non violent, non vulnerable person this should be once a month after the first month. Mostly, in fact almost invariably it is impossible to do this as there's too much other stuff happening so the task gets left to the local Criminal Justice Unit (CJU) you should have a crime number, if you phone your local station and ask for the CJU giving them the crime number they should update you with the information. I have a chap outstanding who I have tried to contact on several occasions but his phone is always off. I have recorded all these in the crime file so I don't end up in the same boat as your hapless fellow; assuming he hasn't.

Sniper8052
  • Thanks for the info and advice so far. Really great thank you.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • Your lucky the guy isn't making a personal injury claim from cutting himself on your property.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Remember as well that the presence of his blood in your house is merely circumstancial evidence.

I was burgled about 4 years ago, but caught him walking out of the flat main door. Managed to get all my stuff off of him (with only the most minor of scuffles :wink: )

After that, the police came round and took fingerprints from the door he got in through and also prints off of the items he had stolen.

If the only evidence is the blood, then the CPS may not actually have enough solid evidence to carry any charge.

But....they do have a duty to inform you of the goings on...I would ask to speak to a superior, as montioned above.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.