I may be nearing the corner

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
If not exactly around it with my increasing fitness.

When I started my commute I was using the 4th gear, big chain to go everywhere; and was completely knackered after no distance.

My intention was to be in 6th gear for pretty much everywhere, and I'm basically there. It's a little surprising as I've only been commuting for 6 weeks now (14 and a bit miles home).

It's the daft things you notice... like climbing a small hill that would've had me struggling in 2nd ( :roll: ) I'm now not bothering to change from 5th (after setting off). Or not being out of breath at every set of lights, not stopping for a quick 'drink' (read rest!) after a nasty hill on the way home.

I'm NOT fast - I don't really want to be. I'm just starting to now enjoy that feeling of being *able* to cycle and not feel the effort... you know: just enjoy the journey

The last piece of the jigaw was getting the bike finally set right last night: I swapped my 32c tyres for 28c ones and it's made all the difference... the mudguard and forks aren't in the way anymore and the bike rolls along really well without being harsh like the old 23c were.

There's no real point to this post :wink: I just thought I'd air some thoughts I'm having at feeling good for choosing to commute by bike :)

I hope all the others that have recently started are feeling the same!
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I went out today for two hours and was shocked my legs still had it in them as I neared home, and I wasn't taking it that easy. Could've carried on but I've got DIY to do (which is why I'm now posting on a message board :roll: ).

And that was on one bananna.

I had had a forced break from cycling for two years and I reckon it took me four months to really get back in the swing of it.
  • Four months???? :shock:

Yipe!

mind you - I was doing the odd 30 mile leisure ride during the summer, so i guess I kept my hand in that way
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Yeah, I was OK when I started out again (it is 24 to 28 miles a day), but I absolutely felt something click at one point 3-4 months in, and from then on I can really motor away.

Still not up with the shaved lady boys with their bendy bars though.

I think the difference was when I got on the shower in the morning I felt good and really ful of energy, rather than a bit tired.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Commuting by bike is brilliant isn't it :D

KB, the best way to ride and your next move to improve, always choose one gear lower than the one you think you should be in and spin spin spin!!!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Mind you - tonight is sizing up to be a bitch :wink: headwind AND rain.

Even then... there is only one stretch where this is a problem (VERY long straight stretch) and I have an alternate route, so it won't bother me then either :)

Litts - I was trying that at first but felt a prune with these whizzy legs, so went for a higher gear instead :oops:

pjr - I don't WANT to be with the ladyboys thanks :D I just let them mince off talking about depilators and waxing and things.... (I bet they even go to the bog in pairs.... :wink: )
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Grrrrrr Headwind!! I was knackered tonight when I got in! I reckon I had to work twice as hard to get home! That said I was home no more than five minutes later than usual. It's got me wondering what time I would have got in without the headwind! Alot quicker than normal I reckon!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I'm leaving my bike at work and going to a posh venue with a free bar :)
  • I've only been commuting for a short while too - about 22-24 miles round trip. I'm fortunate in that I have secure underground parking, lockers and showers ast work. It's great and I'm really enjoying it. It took me a while to get the courage up - partly because I was doing lots off off-road towpath leisure rides and wasn't sure how I'd find the mean city streets and partly because I enjoyed my leisure rides and feared that commuting would turn my fun hobby into a chore.

I'm certainly feeling the benefits and I now really hate it when I have to use the train / bus and tube to and from work - even when it's wet and windy (wel, not so much the windy - I'm a pretty big windbreaker :roll: )

I'm trying to find that sensible balance between getting faster and enjoying the trip rather than just head down power (I may as well be on the tube if I don't want to see what is around me) But I tend to find I prefer the higher (? smaller wheeled) gears?) that require power than the lower bigger wheeled gears (if I've got that the right way around) even though I'm told a faster candence can be better for you in terms of fitness and indeed developing fast twitch muscles (better for my karate).

The important thing is the commute hasn't made the cycling a chore 8) but made it even more fun. The only problem is that the opportunity to upgrade is limitless - the idea that cycling is a cheap alternative is a load of tosh when there are better bikes, components, clothes, pedals, tyres, lights ...you get the picture
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Have to agree with the comments about tonight - I was knackered when I got in - but again only 5 mins longer than usual!

Skinhead - I'm with you entirely about the worry of whether the commute would be a slog, and at some points it can be (headwind :wink: ) but the enjoyment always outweighs the effort

My biggest beef was stupid dog owners on the bridleway... rather than step TO the dog, they step AWAY from it and leave the lead stretched ACROSS the path!!! ARGH! Then they shout at the dog! :evil:

Still at least the dog is under control, rather than these yappy litte rats that seem to want to run under your tyres.

Oh, I was going so quick at one point (sheltered) I smacked a pigeon! I had this manic feathered freak wrapped around me handlebars!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Have to agree with the comments about tonight - I was knackered when I got in - but again only 5 mins longer than usual!

Skinhead - I'm with you entirely about the worry of whether the commute would be a slog, and at some points it can be (headwind :wink: ) but the enjoyment always outweighs the effort

My biggest beef was stupid dog owners on the bridleway... rather than step TO the dog, they step AWAY from it and leave the lead stretched ACROSS the path!!! ARGH! Then they shout at the dog! :evil:

Still at least the dog is under control, rather than these yappy litte rats that seem to want to run under your tyres.

Oh, I was going so quick at one point (sheltered) I smacked a pigeon! I had this manic feathered freak wrapped around me handlebars!

Perhaps the dog owners saw Steve McQueen in the great escape and are laying a trap to pinch your bike :twisted:

Agree about the headwind. Odd that no matter what way I'm going it is always coming at me rather than pushing me along. Still always nice when you defeat it :lol:
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • The only corner I'm rounding right now is whether it is actually safe to sit on my saddle! Jumped back on the Felt for commuting on Monday after not being able to ride all summer, felt fine the first day, but boy today had been damn painful! My sitbones started to scream at the thought of touching the Toupe, yet alone taking my weight... :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo